multiple shoulder fractures through accident

Posted , 4 users are following.

hello.. I had a accident at work on saturday gone.. went to A&E and told I had multiple fractures of the joint. (typing one handed here) fell over some floor tiles, left by builders in a unlit stoopid place, dropped like a stone and skidded with both arms extended toward doors,  Anyway. bruised ribs and still swollen fingers on left hand and of course inability to move left shoulder joint. Think otho will decide to let it heal itself - wont know till tomorrow. what is the "normal" time off work for healing as such - My main boss Ithink is waiting to see if I put in some sort of claim.. any advice as to where and what Ido.. anyone made a claim and the company keep you on..?? supposed I am scared I will lose my job if I claim - they have more or less that yes it was a accident and the fault of the builders for not placing tiles in a proper place, 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your accident. Unfortunately when you injure your shoulder with a diagnose with a fracture is a lengthy recovert, usually ligaments and tendons are involve. Next time you see an orthopedic ask for an MRI, you will know for sure if you tore any tendons.

In the past I have filed an L&I do to a work related accident.

It is elegal for your boss/company to fire you due to a work related injury. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you have any doubts please contact L&I

I hope I was able to help.

Hope you have a speedy recovery

• Posted

thank you so much... saw orthos this morning.. and finally saw xray - the joint is actually out and the fracture pieces are resting on ball joint.. they are looking at surgery and a 3d scan first to acess.. if the fractures are too messy - their words - then they will do a shoulder replacement.. apparently they are looking at getting at least  50percent range back... 50 percent omg.. i was speechless..  hopefully I will know more on friday when I go back to see them..
    • Posted

Wow, that must of been a nasty fall to cause all that damage. I do wish you all the best and a speedy recovery. Almost two months now into my post-op, my surgeon thought I had a frozen shoulder but when he when he looked inside my shoulder realize that I did I a partial tare of the rotator cuff and my bicep the top that attaches to my shoulder. Yours upcoming procedure is more intense and will be a very painfull recovery. Please go ahead and file with L&I.

I am still in scrutiating pain every other day. I did fall two weeks into my post-op, about to get a second opinion. I wish you all the best from evergreen state (Seattle)

Take care

• Posted

ahh bless you.. dont do the pain thing - so not looking foward to it if they do the surgery... I am in the UK.. so there are loads of Claim companies here.. just have to decide  which ones are the best.  all I did was trip over some floor tiles left in stoopid place by builders and i fell and slid along floor with both arms out stretched -   just thought I had just broken upped arm.. surprising what can happen.
  • Posted

I did the same thing in a skiing accident 2 years ago; shattered the ball of the humerus into many pieces. They tried to pin and plate it in Italy but that didn't work. I had one shoulder replacement in Noveember 2014 that didn't work very well. Had a reop last September where the did cuff repair and put in a better fitting ball. I still can't lift my arm higher than shoulder height but they say i should see some improvement in time. You need to get an ortho who knows what he is doing, there are not that many who really do alot of shoulder replacements, even fewer who are good a traumatic shoulder replacements. If you are having this done on the NHS I would try to insist that you have it done at the Royal National Orthopedic or similar special hospital. Private surgery is expensive but you might want to at least pay for on consultation privately before you let them do the surgery.

Good luck.....and go get yourself a big V-pillow, the only way to sleep!

• Posted

got the cushion.. lol... and the painkillers... they gonna a 3d scan.. and take it from there,.. will know more on friday.. and thank you.. just wondering if ithis is the end of my working career...  what was the recovery and time spent in hospital?

• Posted

Actual time in hospital is only a couple of days but in a sling for several weeks depending on your doctor's protocol. I could do most things at waist height after about 2 months but still can't raise my arm up past shoulder height and my last surgery was in September. 

Hope you have better luck! 

• Posted

they did warn me that range of movement would 50%  =good... anything above would be bonus..   which really is not good for attempting to go back to work. I am surprised that overal prognosis or end result is rather pants... lol lol 
  • Posted

Hello all.... well ...been 8weeks now and see the surgeon tomorrow for another update on wether he will do surgery. been doing physio but am in severe pain for 3 days after.  Had a meltdown 4 weeks ago through frustration and emotional causes and being asked why I wasnt back to work yet - obvisiouly these people have never broken a major joint before - what is the average time span.. Iknow everyone is different and goes at different speeds.. xxx
  • Posted

Hello to all..... just a question  for  you..

Now coming up for 1 year since I had my accident - have been back to work but have noticed odd twinges and pain over last month to the point yesterday my shoulder literally went into a major spasm and seems to have sort of locked itself in certain positions - rotation is very painful and down to about 20% - cant lift anything with again, major pain and shaking, any sudden movement is agony - so back on my shoulder strap and one handed...  Know this is a strange question, and one more for the ladies I suppose.. but.... could the pressure of a bra strap have hinded the shoulder( the left one was always loose enough  anyways)  also could very bad coughing from a chest infection have caused problems?.. I know these sound silly.. but trying to understand why it is suddenly giving me such problems after months of being "ok"... thanks for replying if you get a chance... looks maybe a visit to the doctor tomorrow.. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.