Mums just died from Cholangiocarcinoma

Posted , 8 users are following.

:cry: My mum was diagnosed with Cholangiocarcinoma at the beginning of May, she died last weekend 7 weeks after diagnosis.

She was a fit woman of 64, she didn’t drink or smoke and was very active. She started having problems with indigestion and was given ant-acids by the Dr, it was only when she became jaundiced that we realised there was something very wrong. She was taken to hospital and told that she had gall stones that could be easily removed. Oh how wrong they were.....it was only when we had her moved to a private hospital and they did CT scans and MRI scans that they discovered the tumour in her bile duct. She had a stent put in to take away the jaundice but she gradually lost so much weight she deteriorated rapidly.

She spent the last few weeks of her life in hospital not being about to eat, she was even sick just before she passed away.

Cholangiocarcinoma is a truly awful cancer, our family has been shattered. We are currently looking into this cancer and trying to find a common denominator between sufferers. My mum was a clean-a-holic and we are wondering if some of the cleaning products she used could be the cause....I found 5 bottles of Brasso in her kitchen cupboard last week :?

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

This is so familiar. My Mum died last August about 1 hour after diagnosis. She'd been ill for just 3 weeks, just turned yellow and was terribly sick. She'd been feverish and unwell for a while but it was put down to her diabetes and diet. once yellow, endless test reassured her one week before her death that it was nothing sinister and probably gall stones. Then it escalated when they tried to fix them....she had stents put in to drain the bile, she had lost her dignity, she was scared and still we had no diagnosis. This lady had graduated just 2 years before in History at the age of 66. The itching of her skin was the worst thing, drove her insane. Then one day without warning her consultant tyurned up and told her she had just days left. She died minutes later - they believe from a massive heart attack. I didn't have a PM - she'd been through enough. This was a devestating and cruel death. I too have searched for answers but there are none - i hope you find a way to cope - one year on I still grieve for the mother who didn't deserve such a terrible end.
  • Posted

Don't know if either one of you will see this after 5 years but my mom, in the US, had a similar story. She attended my daughter's high school graduation in June, in July she was getting so itchy she was going crazy...tried every product imaginable! Then, she turned yellow. Went to someone. He put a stent in and broke through a tumor - which wasn't great - to relieve the jaundice. In September, 2010 turning 80 years old the day of surgery she had a Whipple. The tumor was contained and with the whipple she had so much removed. It did effect a few lymph nodes. She struggled to come back. I relocated to be closer. She was clean (via PET scan and blood work until the following June but she never felt great. Then, doctors and hospitals (3) screwed up one after another, injuring her in the worst ways, traumatic for her and our family. She was in agony because of medical errors and died a horrific long, painful death and even hospice did my mother a terrible disservice. I feel like we ended up with Post traumatic stress with what we all endured with my mom. My poor 82 year old dad...as well. This is a dreadful disease! My mom was on Premarin for 27 years! Not sure what the correlation is. She also had terrible back aches and indigestion for at least 1 - 2 years.
  • Posted

Common denominator? I received a medication for high cholesterol. M y stupidest decision was to take the despite the fact that I knew there is no point to take it, but it can destroy the liver. In 3 weeks I was in the emergency room with terrible pain. I received a med for 6 months. At the end they did ct scan. I was told that they are seeing 1 cm something on my liver and my bile duct is dilated, but I am fine. They never followed up on it. Last year on Juy 3rd I had a mini stroke. I recovered in two days, but I was diagnosed with intrahepatic cholingiocarcinoma. I had a huge tumor in my liver. I had no cancer in any other organ, but the last pet scan showed cancer in lymph nodes. So  I was stage 4.  My oncologist told me because the cancer already spread they cannot do surgery. I started getting chemo. I am doing well. Exercising, doing everything like nothing is going on, except the chemo begin to have an effect on my bone marrow and I am also having low platelets count after chemo and the platelets don't recover in normal time. So now my chemo does have been reduced. I am still bruising easily. My oncologist told me it is not good that they had to lower the dose. "They are just keeping cancer on bay. My tumor got really small. no new lymph nodes. I was on vacation in Europe this Summer for 2 months. I came back feeling completely healthy. Oh well. I don;t know what is in the future, bit this type of cancer does not give many years to us. About the common denominator? never liked alcohol, never drunk, use to smoke but stopped way before my diagnosis. I think mine caused by medication toxicity + environmental factors. My mom was a radiologist. They were aloud to work outside the radiology only after the third semester of their pregnancy. So I “enjoyed” radiation on my first months of my life. I worked as a cardivovascular drug researcher, exposed to drugs, chemical. I also live in the San Francisco bay area/Silicon Valley, where the soil is exposed to chemicals from the computer companies. In the USA most food are exposed to pesticides. I also had a lots of stress in my life. Many deaths among friends and family members. I was taking care of my late husband, then my farther in law and now for the last 15 years of my mother in-law. I could go on.

• Posted

Hi my mum was diagnosed last Tuesday to start with she went into hospital with jaundice which they thought was gallstones turns out it wasn't she had to get a metal stent put in and an external drain bag for the bile into which they took a biopsy and came back with this cancer it's inside the liver and also in the lymph nodes & ducts the nurse doesn't have a clue she gave me the name of this cancer on paper and told me to google it for more info I really don't no what to do she has been let home today and I asked the nurse how long and she wouldn't tell me it's like a big secret they have barley told me anything there excuse is its a rare cancer and we don't deal with it a lot, any help or info on this cancer would be much appreciated for me thank u
    • Posted

Hi . How terrible that you were given no information about this disease. I have done a lot of research on my own because although it was explained to us when my husband was diagnosed with intrahepatic cholangio carcinoma stage 4 since it metastasized to his lungs, it was never in terms that we understood.

For my husband, radiation, surgery & immunotherapy was not an option for him. Chemo only. He has had one round of chemo which worked on his liver but not the lungs. So he is on another combination which is supposed to have good results

There are some clinical trials out there not much but if she could get into one it might be better. There is no cure but hopefully years could be added till something is found. I pray for a miracle.

So try & get a doctor on board. There is a website that is very good & helpful. It's www.cholangiocarcinoma.org.

Write me if you have any other questions or need help.

Prayers to you & your mom.

• Posted

Ii'm very sorry to hear about your mom. My wife has the same cancer. It's been 11 months

Things continue to get worse. The odd thing is that my wife is and always has been a clean

Freak. My wife uses a lot of pinesol. I'll ask her tomorrow about any other things she may have used in the past.

It's hard to watch someone you love succumb to this.

Fred

• Posted

Hi. I am so sorry to hear about your mum. You & your family have my sincere sympathy in such a tragic loss.

I have not upon my research heard of a woman having it except your mum.

My husband was diagnosed with it in July . At first it was diagnosed as lung cancer but with more testing it was a month later that they found it was cholangio carcinoma, intrahepatic & metastasized to the lungs.

My husband was not a drinker either. His only symptom was being very tired & short of breath. We think he had it for awhile. No one in his family had cancer. I always thought it would be me with cancer in my family. My husband's only option was chemo due to the type of cancer.

He started a treatment of chemo but after 5 weeks they found he had a blood clot, fluid & the cancer in his lungs had spread. It worked on the liver. He went a month without treatment & just started a different chemo .

Only one treatment so far & he's lost a lot of weight, his appetite, very tired, needs oxygen, etc. I'm scared because he isn't good & questioning whether to keep going, quality of life.

We don't know how he got it. The list they have of some reasons , he was not doing any of it.

Again I am so sorry. It was quick for your mum so I'm wondering if she had it earlier on too. It is an awful cancer.

May your wonderful memories bring some comfort & peace. So, so sorry.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.