Muscle jerks are driving me crazy

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey, first of all thanks for reading, I'm a 20 year old male and I'm experiencing some strange problems.

By the end of 2015, I noticed my hair started falling out. I thought it was male baldness but when I got other symptoms such as fatigue, weight loss and headaches, I did some blood work and my doc said it was a thyroid problem (subclinical hypothyroidism). I also got really low levels of vitamine D so I started taking some to fix that.

Fast forward January 29th. I'm finishing my exams and noticed my foot started to make some uncontrollable movements. No big deal as I had lots of stress and sleep deprivation during the exams and thought it'd go away.

We're mid february now and the spasms have only gotten worse. Especially my calfs and feet make some uncontrolled movements (I'd say every two minutes or so, especially if I lie down or am in a resting position). From time to time, I also get slight jerks in the face or arms (but way less often). It only seems to happen if I am not using a limb. Controlled movements and walking are just fine.

I feel pretty good except for the spasms, the only thing I did notice some pale stool. I'm pretty worried about this situation as the spasms just won't stop. I went to the hospital and had several test. I told the neurologist I was worried about MS but he already told me twice he doesn't believe my symptoms are caused by MS based on my descriptions.

Every test we did so far came back normal. I did:

- MRI of the spine - he said it looked flawless

- EEG - came back normal

- EMG - came back normal

Sceduled (but in a month or so)

- MRI of the brain

Any thoughts on this? The brain MRI could possibly reveal the cause but it takes another month. Anyone had these problems before with the same test results (normal)? Is full body muscle twitching (only symptom) for two weeks even a thing?

Thanks

Filip

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Maybe one more thing: the thyroid problem doesn't seem to be linked to any autoimmune disease - thyroid antibodies came back normal. I don't take any medication at this moment. 
    • Posted

my 22 year old sons thyroid came back normal, but his b12 and cortisol was low have you had this tested
  • Posted

Hi jazzyanne, thanks for your reply. B12 was pretty good and I can't find cortisol anywhere but my cholesterol was also in range. Did he experience the same problems? I did have a slightly increased billirubine value
    • Posted

low coritsol can cause weight loss , my son had weight loss tiredness, he also had low vit D, are you in the uk, as the vit d the gp give you are full of fillers and additives so not great .
    • Posted

Ahh thanks but my weight is pretty much restoring quite quickly so I don't really worry about that. It's the spasms that haunt my thoughts :-(
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with Parkinson's about a year and a half ago (but I am 63). I just recently have been experiencing the spasms you descirbe...so wondering about MS? My symptoms all started after being exposed to pesticides 2 and a half years ago.
    • Posted

Hi, yeah I was thinking about MS but my neurologist doesn't think it is MS as I have absolutely no other signs, and a clear MRI (at least the spine for now). I can't completely rule out MS without a brain scan though.
    • Posted

Hi, I've had the same symtoms and mine has actually went to the brain also spasms, very scary situation, I was just diagnosed with lupus and have started some inflammation Medicine and it has helped a lot with them, I go back to the rheumatoid doctor and he might start me on something different... Hope this helps
  • Posted

I have the exact same symptons you are suffering from. i am 18 years old and have noticed my hair has been falling out, i have muslce spasms constantly throughout my body, i have pins and needles through my body aswell. I have recently lost my strength in my left arm so much so i recall dropping a vitamin D container involuntairy as i held it in my left hand. Moreover, i have also recently lost the ability to stay balanced, if i stand in the same place for 20 seconds i fall off.

I did a magnesium,calcium and thyroid test and apprantley they came back all fine. I took a poweder called "moringa" which contains various nurtrients and vitamins, i do reccomend you take it as it did help reduce the amount of spasms. My question to you would be, do you know why your hair has been falling out and what have you been doing to prevent it from falling out further? 

i pray that we are not suffering from Ms. All the best.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply,

I think my hair loss was a combination of early-onset male pattern baldness and stress, accelerated by my thyroid problems. It kind of stopped after three weeks and I do notice some slow regrowth now. 

I don't recall having weakened muscles, actually I feel fine except for the spasms. I did have the pins and needles sensation when walking a long distance about a week or two ago, but it went away and never came back. 

How is your visual perception? Notice any blind spots or double sight? Any numbness? For me personally, I haven't got those symtoms (which are linked to ms).

I don't know where you live, but I do think it could be a good idea to visit a neurologist and ask for an MRI of the brain and the spinal cord, EEG and EMG. Once you know what's causing your troubles, you can take the right medications.

Good luck! Don't fear for the worst. IIRC these symtoms can be linked to various conditions - an appointment with a neuro will probably take away some stress you're currently suffering. At least it helped for me.

• Posted

Are you on magnesium tablets I take them I have jerks plus PN in my feet
    • Posted

I've had EMG two one on hands and then feet plus brain scan years ago see two Neuro very stressful not known what's going on and Google can make matters worse

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.