muscle joint pain,stopped crestor after 9 months

Posted , 6 users are following.

k, i have had a some joint and muscle pain on and off over  the years, but a month   ago, started with right shoulder pain first, dr did ultrasound, xrays etc, some arthritis, calcium build up, but nothing to explain pain on moving arms, then glutes hamstrings  hurting sending me to rheumatologist,then decided to stop crestor on my own after a lot of research, now 6 days after stopping more pain then before, cant raise arms above chest without extreme pain, also glutetes and hamstrings very painful,have to tell my dr,won,t be happy i stopped on my own i,m sure 5 mg crestor,anyone else experience more pain after few days of stopping statins 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Cheryl, It is possible as most of us have found, getting the statins out of your body does not stop over night just because you stopped taing the statins, depending on the person, it can be days, weeks or months. SO, it is possible that the increase in pain is a reaction to the statins still in your body.

It is now a good 4 or 5 months since stopping statins, and the head pain is just starting to ease, but this is also having started CoQ10 and Magnesium.

My suggestion would be to go to your drug store, see if you can get a product call Stat Guard, and if you cant find that explain to the pharmasist you were on statins and can they give you the bes CoQ10 and Magnesium that they have . I am on 1 CoQ10 per day and 4 magnesium tablets. Took about 2 weeks to kick in but I am feeling much better. Hope this help.

• Posted

thanks julia, i have alread,y purchased coq10 btt now i read the instructions and says could interact with my bp med, diovan ? so am going to check with my dr, i also got some cod liver oil with epa and dha,was going to see if my dr will send me for blood test check vit D and magnesium levels, i just found it strange that these last 3-4 days have been worse than before i stopped crestor, so frustrating, don,t know what to think
  • Posted

I've been 2 years off cheryl and still have side effects might be worth while seeing a physiotherapist for you glutes and hamstrings they can losen them and then you can do the excerises and also work on you thoraxic spine. good luck

• Posted

thanks jane, yes i am going to get him to refer me for physio, still waiting for appt wth rheumatologist, as well,
  • Posted

Whilst my side effects lessened after stopping taking statins, they didnt go away completely.  I continued to have some ongoing issues although nowhere near as bad when I was on statins.  Then a few years ago I developed worsening muscle aches, fatigue, memory problems.  My first GP thought it might be fibromyalgia but the second didnt.  Eventually after various referrals including a neurologist, I saw a rheumatologist who also said it wasnt fibro.  Referred me for an ultrasound at long last and discovered ruptured bicep and several rupture tendons in shoulder.  I havent injured my shoulder by activity.  I asked the ultrasound technician what probable causes were, he said other than injury, could be that muscles have become weakened by something resulting in higher risk of tear to tendons etc.  I am still wondering if the statins weakened my muscles to such as extent as to make them prone to this kind of damage.  I wish in my heart of hearts (bit of a pun there) that I'd never been stupid enough to take them without question.

• Posted

I agree Loxie....I had problems while I was on statins ...I suffered the pain of planter faciatus ( hope the spelling's correct )  pain from heal right along my foot...it's inflamation of the tendon.....I know now that statins cause it....I've been off statins for 6 years....

• Posted

thanks loxie, my dr initially did ultrasound, exray of right shoulder, it was hurting at that time for last few weeks, glutes hamstrings also hurt on and off, he is referring me to rheumatologist, haven,t got appt yet, apparently results from ultrasound etc, showed litte build up calcium, nothing significant to explain shoulder problem, however, since i stopped crestor  cold turkey 7 days ago, i am in dire agony last 4 days, so i don,t know what to think seeing dr today, probably should have seen him first, and wean off statins

• Posted

Hi Cheryl.  It's as if I wrote the post.  I too was on statins six months and had muscle atrophy throughout my whole body, my face, legs, hips and like you my shoulder muscles wasted.  To compensate my body put calcium in the tendon I had barbotage but the calcium had gone hard.  Have you asked for this to see if the calcium is soft?  The whole thing causes impingement.  You did right coming off the statins.  I've been two years off them but it took over a year for muscles to come back in my upper legs, it's frightening I know, physio did help my impingement though but muscles in the top of the arm have not come back, the physio did explain they are small muscles in your neck and arm to build up though.

• Posted

Sue...it's frightening to imagine what's going on in your body while taking statins

• Posted

Hi Lisa it is yes and I was stupid stupid to go on them.  I asked the physio about muscles and he said all the muscles around my rotator cuff had wasted, the rotator cuff relies on these to work properly.  I also got and still have these massive knobbles on my ac joint and the other joint on the shoulder which I didn't have pre wastage.  Interestingly a lady neighbour who dances went on them for six months and couldn't dance anymore.  She came off them herself and is back to dancing, that was two years ago,  I think the statins do long term damage to us. Hope that helps Cheryl regarding your shoulder.  

• Posted

thanks sue, i just found it strange that i am in so much more pain these last few days, want to scream when trying to get showered, dressed, get in and out of bed, waking every couple hrs, worst pain ive ever had , but only got really bad about 4 days after stopping crestor, seeing my dr shortly, going to ask what to do, go back on 10 mg, temp, then reduce and get completely weaned off, i can,t take this pain much longer,

• Posted

Hi Cheryl,  just a bit of help for you.  On my X-ray of the shoulder the consultant showed me the calcium it was top of the shoulder.  He explained that has what caused the pain as when the calcium is being re absorbed back in the body that's what causes the agony.  I remember the horrid pain and dead weight pain as well.  It sounds exactly the same.  The pain will go eventually once the calcium is absorbed.  I had a steroid injection which really helped suggest that to them and barbotage if the calcium is still soft,  hope you are ok.  One thing the consultant said is pain killers won't really work or the hot packs you can get.

• Posted

hi cheryl the steroid injection you had is that the same as a cortisone injection. Did you have it with an ultraound?
    • Posted

Hi,

Yes, I had it at the same time as barbotage the calcium had gone hard so it couldn't be sucked out so the lady did the injection which has really helped.  

• Posted

i haven,t had a coritisone injection,came off crestor 10 days ago, this past monday, dr put me on 40mg prednisone, said i did right stopping crestor, no mention could be cause of my pain, but is now treating me for polymylagia rheumatica, just took the pills yesterday am with bkfast, and that afternoon, felt relief from the hurting already, last night and morning still some soreness on moving arms shoulders, but nothing like i have had these last few days,he is referring me to rheumatologist on oct 27, hate the idea of taking prednisone, specially such high dose, because of potential side affects, but pain was excrutiating ,and i am seeing him on monday, which will be the 6th day on this prednisone,if pain is gone, hoping he,ll take me off,them, until i see rheumatologist, but i a still suspicious that crestor contributed to my now autoimmune disease,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.