muscle spasms with fibro. and word mix up,s

Posted , 10 users are following.

has anyone else had spasms in the base of thair feet and calves and also mix thair words up and it comes out really funny ( of which my daughter finds very funny anyway wink ) ie. ( I may say Tut the Pelevision on  " instead of  " put the television on "  ?? 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

lol  This sounds like me to a tee.  The family find the sayings funny and I have a laugh as well, but the spasms in the feet and legs are not funny, they really hurt.

• Posted

I've always prided myself on my spelling and speech but as the illness has got worse dyslexia has crept slowly in. It's not made better by these automatic spell checkers which take a word that it thinks I was trying to spell and changes it into a word that it has just made up.

There is a condition which I have called Restless leg syndrome which happens mainly when laying down in bed.  Could this be what you mean?

• Posted

hiya Imustimust , yes i get restless leg too ( where i have to move my legs all over the bed the entire night and keep having to strech em out ect. sad not good ... N o i mean a propper ( spasm ) like cramp in my calve and sole of my foot at times especially in my foot /feet when i m walking .

• Posted

Hi Denise;  yes many of us get the Cramps in legs/toes/feet as well as the restless legs syndrome...one of the worst times for cramping for me is if I am squatting on my legs, and then my toes and calf muscles go into severe cramp, and take quite a while to release (try putting hot compresses on same to help release)   ....and yes they are very painful on top of all the other pain areas that come with Fibro...the only answer for me is to increase by  at least one Magnesium tabs for the cramps, and a Good soak of feet in a magnesium bath/tub.    To aid in the legs syndrome, I wear TED stockings (support stockings/Tubigrip) when I go to bed at night....these help the circulation of my legs, and do stop the restlegs/pain of cramping.

?As for the speech problems, that too is something that happens to us; and yes NOT all the time, but when it does, there are many times that I have said the most Pathetic and Inappropriate things(eg.....when one of my son-in-laws was talking about older women being raped....my contribution was "well there's nothing better than being raped!"....you can imagine how Everyone at the table just LOOKED and that was the end of That conversation).........and am still very embarrassed....hence just try to keep my mouth shut in these times, now.

?So I guess, the answer is Yes to both, and hope this reassures you, and gives you some ideas on how to help yourself.(especially with the cramps)

• Posted

hi Bronwyn, thanx for the tips (Y) will give them a go cheers and good luck .
  • Posted

I think fatigue has a lot to do with the words/speech. I find the more fatigued i am the worse it is. I have just had a stretch of 6 months or so where i have felt really good and not had any major issues but starting to feel the feeling creep back in do any of you have this where you feel good for ages but then start to feel crappy again?
  • Posted

Dear Denise,

Yes the fibro brain sounds like it has struck. I find it very hard these days to find words. Like you I used to be very good English wise but it really does knock my confidence as I am in mid discussion and am completely lost for the simplest of words which I have used for days. I find I am describing things and people; rather than naming them. Also my spelling is becoming more and more effected sad

• Posted

Hi... yes to restless legs!  and as for word mix up...today the doctor asked me to confirm my phone number for a telephone appointment and I said it was...

8 treble 8 88...so my phone number read 888888...what is that about ??? I just turned and looked at hubby when I felt the overwhelming urge to say another 8 and he told her my proper phone number thankfully!, and that is one of the less stupid things I have said at the doctors..lol 

It can be worrying tho, but thankfully my fibro fog lifts sometimes!

• Posted

Oh and BTW in the text that I wrote back to you...I wrote days when I was thinking days so there you go smile....sounds like you have a great hubby

• Posted

Yes ..he puts up with a lot !. I was always putting people right on thier grammer and punctuation ... and now they put me right .. Karma gets you in the end! .lol.. sometimes when writing emails to people I cant even be bothered to use any capitals or full stops .. 
  • Posted

Yes, I have had occurrences like that but I tend to struggle more with word retrieval. I just simply can not locate the word I want to say.  It might even be my own name.  As for the muscle spasms, I started having those about 6 months ago. They started in my left eye and progressed to other parts of my body.  My GP sent me for an ALS rule out since my grandmother died of ALS.  At this point I do not have ALS (course doesn't mean its not in my future but hopefully not).  Fibromyalgia comes with some really weird symptoms that pop up on and off without rhyme or reason. 

• Posted

Yes my daughter and co-workers have a little giggle at times from my jibber gabber. Unfortunately I work on the phone so when talking to clients I Kind of pause to see if they are going to say "what". 😅, thankfully most of the time I say it so fast over the phone it's hard to catch.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.