Muscle stiffness and feeling weak. Worried

Posted , 3 users are following.

Good morning. At this moment I am not sure on where I should go for advise for help. The neurologist I've been seeing just out of the blue closed her office without any notice and I had an appointment with her in two weeks. And I haven't been given a referral for anyone else yet. But my first symptom (at least that I can remember) started back in May. I was an avid, 5-6 days a week gym goer. Then one evening after a work out I became very weak and started having some severe muscle spasms in both of my thighs that didn't stop. They continued all the way through the next day then went into my calves. Since then I've expereinced musle twitching/spasms in every part of my body and most recently my lips and jaw. I've also begun to notice stiffness in both of my knees and during the night my legs and toes feel very weak, I wake up feeling weak and the feeling continues all day. I've tried stretching and light exercising to try and help the stiffness. I've also tried muscle relaxers at times of severe muscle twitching. I rest as much as I can. I woke up this morning feeling weak in not only my legs, but also my shoulders, arms and hands. I forgot to mention that I've also been dealing with some twitching in my tongue, I am still swallowing ok and eating fine. I am a 26 year old female, I was diagnosed with hoshimotos (hypothyroidism) almost two years ago and do have a history of migraines. I don't know what to do especially now that my neurologist is no longer working. Any feed back or recommendations or anything would be very helpful. I'm scared.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Do you have a primary care doctor you can see in the meantime? Can they refer you to someone else?
    • Posted

Yea I do have a primary doctor but where I live there are only two neurologists that they will refer me too and I've already seen them both and was not impressed so I have gone out of town to see my current neurologist who just closed her doors. So I'm in the process of looking for a new one.
  • Posted

Hypothyroidism can cause your symptoms so first of all check with your endocrinologist that everything is ok. Adrenal or renal problems or an electroyte imbalance could also be the culprit and can easily be checked by endo or GP. The symptoms you describe suggest an imbalance, perhaps sorting this ot first might mean that a neurologist appointment can wait a while?

Whatever you do, do it soon and let us know how you get on.

Hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.