Musculoskeletal and arthritis in Ribs?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my knees and hip. I was also diagnosed with musculoskeletal pain and arthritis is my spine. My doctor say I also have arthritis in the ribs and that they are "winged". Has anyone had any experience with the rib pain?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have arthritis in lumbar and cervical spine with spinal stenosis, arthritis in both kneesboth wwrists and recently both shoulders causing rotator cuff tendonitis. I too get occasional rib pain

• Posted

Mine is located on the right side and goes into my back area. Where is yours located?
    • Posted

It's right along bottom of ribs to front
    • Posted

I had rib pain  there too, a couple years ago. It grew so bad I had to be on pain medication just to function.

Dr after doctor couldn't figure it out, and one told me I had arthritis of the ribs. Eventually, my family doctor nailed it-- my intestines were spasming. Dicyclomine stopped the spasms, and probiotics  eventually solved the problem.

Maybe this helps?

• Posted

Where were you having the rib pain? Was it all the time or only after eating or at night? 
  • Posted

I have osteoarthritis in low back right wrist thumb and finger joints, left shoulder and arm. I do get pain in my ribs as well, also the bones going down the spine from the third bone from the neck, it is a burning pain...
  • Posted

Arthritis is not a disease I ever thought would be such a major part of my life. It's in all my joints, back, neck , ribs. Someday's it's very painful . I find heat can help relax the area OTC pain meds, antiinflammataries  and something as simple as a hot soak in the tub does wonders. 
  • Posted

Wow bb....have OA in my hips, and spine and everywhere else but so far haven't had it in the ribs....I just had a hip replacement and also had a fractured pelvis because of the OA, and still have to get the other hip replaced too...I am not sure what 'winged" ribs means.....awful what so many of us go through with arthritis...Wishing you well.....Barb
  • Posted

Yes I have

Specially when trying to test in bed

• Posted

Should read rest

All my fingers are now classed as ' critical'

So typing is hard

• Posted

Fast forwarding 10 months to April 2017.

Mines hurting along front now too and starting getting twinges of pains in ribs in various places in ribs on both sides. Had x ray 6 months ago and no changes yet, just the winged ribs from arthritis. Was given 2 steroid shots today and will go on a short course of steroid pills. Also had a positive ANA blood test. Though the post is old, would like to hear everyone's comments as I keep checking back every now and again.

• Posted

Hi

I too am c-anca positive but I keep getting told I don't have an inflammatory form of arthritis. Pain in ribs is usually referred from the neck but I have arthritis in cervical upper and mid back and keep asking why has it spread so much as I started with lumber arthritis and it's in my full spine and all of my joints. It's such a painful, debilitating disease. I have recently had a review for pip and I have to have another review in 18 months as according to DWP I may get better with medical intervention, been getting worse since 2013!

• Posted

Hi

I have crps and nerve damage in right foot and left leg, recently diagnosed with oa in wrists. Started having severe chest pain on left side of ribs, had ecg x 2, blood tests and chest x ray, all came back clear. Saw a different doctor who diagnosed rib/chest pain as costochondritis! did some research and its definitely that, not much they can do so I've been given some cream! But atleast I now know I'm not about to have a heart attack as it was very worrying and could be so severe at times.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.