My 15 year old daughter is suffering very badly with hyperventilating when walking.

Posted , 4 users are following.

she has been hospital for a couple of nights where she had X-ray,d dimer, ECG, and blood test. All results came back clear but now every time she stands and walks she is hyperventilating. It's to the degree that she's dizzy, feeling faint, fingers going into spasms, every time she stands and starts to walk and effecting her daily activities no school. I've taken her back to our GP who put her on clarityromycin tablets and has referred her to a respiratory physio. Unfortunately this has not made any change to her. I'm now at my wits end as seeing her like this is not right. This came on all of a sudden. She's not stressed panicking over anything. Please can someone help or advise me what I can do, it's scary for her and me.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Try something simple.  Count slowly as she walks.  Breathe in - count. Slowly one, and two and three and four.  And lift her arms and shoulders. Then out to one and two and three and four.  Just slow down life, and breath deeply.  It may help
  • Posted

It sounds to me that has anxiety....that is some of the symptoms,she can have it and not even know it..it just usually just hits u like that!!!I'm not a doctor but I have anxiety and that's what it sounds like to me!!you may want to get a second opinion from another doctor!!!good luck!!!hope she gets better!!!!
  • Posted

This is the reply I posted on another thread concerning excessive yawning, maybe it will help your daughter:

Hi, I currently suffer from chronic hyperventilation.  We are taking in too much oxygen, and our oxygen-CO2 balance is off.  Practicing long, shallow breathing is pivotal to re-training your body how to breathe.  We yawn because it gives us mental relief from the feeling of a full breath, but in reality, it is only exacerbating our hyperventilation due to the influx of more oxygen.  

Try breathing with your mouth closed with good posture.  Inhale shallow breaths over ten seconds (filling your belly, not your lungs) and then exhale through your nose slowly (deflating your belly).  This will be uncomfortable at first because our oxygen-CO2 balance is off and we have trained our bodies to breathe incorrectly.  The key to this is shallow, small breaths; this is counter-intuitive because it seems like we need more air and a complete breath, but we really need less oxygen. Commit to this method for a day and see if your breathing improves.  The goal is to re-train your body to breathe like this unconsciously.  Another trigger to our hyperventilation is being so conscious of our breathing; practicing correct breathing will help make it automatic and will further decrease our symptoms.

I have been using this method over the past hour and feel great relief.  Every few minutes, I still feel the need to take a large inhalation of air with my mouth open, but I have stopped feeling the need to yawn.  I have suffered from this for a little over a year now and was previously very healthy and not anxiety-ridden.  However, when I began a full-time Master's program while working full-time, I began having these breathing problems and have had them ever since.  Doctors have prescribed Zoloft and Xanax which helped, but I don't like taking prescription medication.  I hope the relief persists and I hope it helps some of you out there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.