My 3 month anniversary....

Posted , 8 users are following.

So Wednesday was my anniversary. It's a bit like having a new boyfriend (you count anniversaries in weeks and months) but less hassle cheesygrin The hip had done just fabulous. The only times I have had any issues have been when I (a) went to the insane hospital physiotherapists and (b) completely overdid it at work one day. The first I dealt with by not going back. The second was unavoidable as I had a deadline for a second stage £9 million bid for my city, and so it had to go in and I had to work until it went in. My manager was great though and totally got the reason for the call the next day saying I wouldn't be in! He'd  seen that I was struggling but not giving up, and I had a lovely email from him as a thank you. And "the worst" had only been some pretty bad aches. So I have really got off lightly....

So Wednesday was also the lifting of my travel ban. I was disappointed not to have any news headlines about this. So I can now do short haul. I promptly booked myself flights to Greece at Easter for me and my dog. Ok, it would have been nice to drop everything and just take off, but not all that convenient. Plus Easter is a great time. I have loads of unused leave from this year, so for 9 days leave I will get nearly three weeks off due to all the bank holidays. Three weeks of sunshine. Yay!!!!

So, of course, the only downside to all this is that darned ankle. But this week I challenged myself to ditch the crutches and use only my stick for the whole week. That isn't quite as exciting as it sounds, as I had almost nowhere I needed to walk to! Around the house, around the office, from the car outside the office... Not exactly a half marathon! But I have also been trying to get at least two 5 minute sessions on the treadmill per day, and more when I am working from home or not working. So the good news is that even with my still limited mobility, I have lost 4 lbs in the last two weeks. That is huge for me, as I piled on so much weight last year when I spent most of the year unable to walk to the kitchen! 

Still working on the whole 60th birthday thing. Central America will have to wait until next year. So I am planning two holidays over a month. The first is a cruise on a working ship up (and back down) the Scandinavian coast, sailing from Newcastle to Bergen to pick up the boat. That avoids flying in case I am pre-op / post-op for the ankle. And then I will collect my dog and proceed to Islay for the Islay and Jura whisky trail, spending my actual birthday at the Laphroig distillery, where I own I square foot of peat bog I have never yet visited!!!!

So all in all, the future is bright and sunny! Which is great because right now it's snowing...

3 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Wow lucky you. Have a safe and enjoyable trip. You deserve a break. Take lots of pics and hope your dog does well keeping you out of trouble! LOL
    • Posted

We are talking about a 17 month old border collie - he is trouble incarnate all on his own! 
    • Posted

I love, ❤️  boarder collies. They are so smart had them all my life. Smartest breed! 
    • Posted

Yep me too. There's a baby photo of me with "my first" (no mean feat from 1957, as most people didn't have cameras then, but my dad was a keen photographer). She used to babysit me, and when I started toddling I would pull myself off the floor, grab her ruff and walk along with her!

• Posted

Way to go Beth! Your note is uplifting to me, since I'm just shy of my 1 week birthday...I am walking without my cane (short trips) but kind of like a chimp yet. trying to get my weight balanced to stop the nonsurgical hip to stop aching so much. I too have had no issues with the new hip - yay! If I flip past the point of feeling the hardware when I roll, I can even sleep on that side now! That was my favoured position for going to sleep so I was pretty sleep deprived for many weeks!

Sounds like you have a great gig and a good life going there and being able to walk sure helps! Enjoy your holiday(s) - you deserve a good break! Don't drink too much on your birthday - don't want to slip and have to start the whole process over!

• Posted

I was able to sleep on my side the whole time as I had found something that let me do that. So not even sleep deprived. The whole thing was pretty much of an anticlimax really, as I was so well prepared, and nothing happened!

?Unfortunately I won't be able to walk well until after the ankle surgery, which is a bummer. The ankle is collapsed - it turns outward and won't go straight, and leans in at a very dangerous ankle. I have to be careful as I don't want it to break again, or that just complicates things even more.

But onwards and upwards - life is too short to stop!

• Posted

dear lady beth, 

You are such a inspring and funny soul ... you educate me as well ,... never heard of  Laphroig before and now I know !!! 

good luck with your ankle ...

big warm hig

renee

• Posted

It's an acquired taste - not everyone can drink it because it is so peaty. But I love all the Islays. Although it is my favourite....

?That is part of my bucket list - the only thing left on the original first one. I intend to sample every single malt whisky produced. Of course, I need to keep a couple in reserve to give me something to live for!

• Posted

Way to go Beth . Have a nice trip you deserve it. Suny here and hot .

Glad you feel good.

Hug and love Madla💗🏖

• Posted

You just had to mention sunny and hot, didn't you? The promised deep snow never arrived yesterday, it just littered all day. But they say to expect it today.

?How are things going at work now - are you finding it any easier?

• Posted

Hi Beth , yes at work OK, doing only 4 hours or 3 hours and yes it's much better. Doing hydro therapy 2 times a week and hip getting better but opsite hip play up. Getting worse and waking me up

in hight. Could be hot weather. We have few days 42 C ,today 35 C and very humid hopefully cold change will come and I can have good night sleep. One day you should come here for holiday you are welcome any time. Look after your ankle and hip and take

care and be careful if the promise snow.

Madla💗🌎

• Posted

Hi Beth, great news! I love the idea of you nipping off to Greece with your dog at Easter, great idea, and something to look forward to. I'm nearly at 7 months, just had a week in Tenerife, staying next to a banana grove, and swimming in the rough Atlantic. ( When the life guard was allowing it. Lots of whistling going on, some days just too rough!) Now back in freezing London.

Onwards and upwards all you hippies out there!

• Posted

Hi Judith

We're overdue actually. I have a house out there that I bought many moons ago when prices were ridiculously cheap. Once I retire that will be my winter home. It's beautiful. An old fisherman's cottage modernised, with a patio straight out into the Med. We usually go every Christmas and Easter, but of course I couldn't fly at Christmas, so I was stuck in the UK with shortbread and pudding! After Easter I rent it for the summer, and that income means the pension goes further! It's in a totally Greek bit - although I can get to other places, it's not near a resort, a "British pub", or anywhere serving hamburgers or chicken and chips! So over the years me and my dogs have become part of the local community - thank goodness for pet passports

And since I am also an Irish passport holder, I won't even need to worry about customs! One year we drove down, taking in France, Switzerland and Italy on the way, and I'm planning to do that again when I have enough time. It was fabulous - but I was on a three month break between jobs and I can't afford to do that very often! 

• Posted

Hi Beth, it sounds absolutely fabulous, how brilliant having a house out there. Especially in an unspoilt area. I bet your dog loves it too. Does he like swimming?
    • Posted

Sounds awesome Beth.Its so nurturing to be in an environment like that .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.