My 4 year old daughter has RA. Does Methotrexate hurt when you inject it?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My 4yr old was diagnosed with RA when she was 1yr old. She has been on Methotrexate for a year now and I wanted to know when injected does it hurt? And how do they feel after the injection. And what helps with the symptoms?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your little one. I don't use injections but I have heard that it is fairly simple and minimal discomfort. I am sure a four yr old won't like even a little needle but from what I have read it comes in a pen form so you don't even see the needle which is small and is a subcutaneous injection. I also was told there are less gastro intestinal symptoms with injections. I am sure you will get lots of information on this site from people that use injections and can help you much better than I can. I will keep your daughter in my prayers. Good luck!  Kristin

• Posted

Hi Stephanie. Firstly I am sorry to hear your little girl has RA at such a young age.

as far as the injections go they don't hurt . You feel a thump when you press the release button but your daughter may not even be aware there is a needle there if you don't tell her. You need to leave it in place to the count of 10 to ensure al the liquid is dispensed and there is no danger of its pilling out .if you pinch the skin between your thumb and index finger this tends to reduce the affect of the needle.

regarding side affects I have to say she may not be herself for a day or two afterwards but she will be prescribed with a folic acid tablet and that helps to make the side affects less. She takes this every day except for the day she injects. 

Be aware oft he safety of handling this drug as it is of course quite toxic. If you have any pets make sure no liquid drips in the floor or surface as it will harm the animal.

good luck

Maerin xx

• Posted

I'm very sorry to hear your daughter has RA and must be on the injections. The only time I've had any discomfort is when the medicine touches the skin. Then, it burns a bit. But 9nly for a few minutes. I wipe the site lightly with an alcohol pad and I feel better. Prayers that this will help her.

• Posted

Hey. So sorry your little girl has this. I injected for a while. The advice you got below is the best really. Pinch a good bit of skin and keep it tight while the needle goes in. Have that cotton wool ball handy and press for 10 secs before checking for bleeding. Even when it bleeds, it soon stops and doesn't leave much of a bruise. Swap legs / your sites every week. I used my thighs as tummy flab rubbed against my belt/jeans. Take the folic acid every day except the day of the injection. The injection is MUCH better if the tablets cause sickness and diarrheoa ( it was terrible, plus I think I vomited / passed most of the MTX, so it probably didn't work anyway). They gradually increased my dose, but after nearly a year, I changed to azathioprine as it wasn't really working. Having said that I have lupus, and I know some RA patients do well on MTX.

Good luck with it, she is a brave little girl!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.