My Adrenal Insufficiency Disappeared?

Posted , 6 users are following.

i was diagnosed with AI, due to hypopituitarism, a little over 6 months ago. been taking hydrocortisone 3 times a day, and i got tired of it so i just stopped taking it. I was expecting headaches, tiredness, vomiting even but none of that has happened, i feel wonderful. i dont know how this happened though, i had blood work that confirmed AI. Has this happened to anyone else?

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well, you've given me hope that it might happen to me! 

Glad you're feeling so well. 

• Posted

I eas wondering how you were diagnosed. What tests? Also, what dose of hydrocortisone were you taking? Thank you. Janelle
    • Posted

i was diagnosed by an endrocrinologist with cortisol blood test, you know that you take and they test your blood every 15 or 30 so mins( i dont remember exactly) And i was taking 25 mg a day of hydrocortisone.
    • Posted

Were you taking 25mg 3× a day or 25mg total each day? Just curious because I had the same stimulation test and my dr put me on 5mg Prednisone a day in the morning but had major side effects to it....caused IBS. Want to try hydrocortisone but my doc won't listen to me. Thank you for your response. I appreciate it! Also, i am curious if you could tell me about some of your simptoms you experienced? Thx Again, Janelle

• Posted

i take 25 total a day. I was on prednisone before, but i hated it as well and HC worked a lot better. Before i was diagnosed i was experiencing: awful headaches, weight loss, tired all the times, couldnt sleep at night, i was throwing up all the time, my joints hurt, my heart was racing and i was dizzy.
    • Posted

i take 25 total a day. I was on prednisone before, but i hated it as well and HC worked a lot better. Before i was diagnosed i was experiencing: awful headaches, weight loss, tired all the times, couldnt sleep at night, i was throwing up all the time, my joints hurt, my heart was racing and i was dizzy.
    • Posted

Sounds like me. So, now your completely off any meds and doing well? Wow. What do you think helped you the most to your amazing recovery? Janelle
    • Posted

yep, i am 100% off medication. I honestly am not sure what helped me recover, i dont eat processed sugar anymore so that might of helped, but besides that i didnt really do anything specific besides pray a whole lot. I really think it might be a miracle.
    • Posted

That's wonderful! What a blessing! Very happy for you. Thanks for all your help.my thoughts and prayers are with you!

• Posted

Cutting out sugar is often helpful with many illnesses.  But also - adrenals are able to recover somehow.  As long as your thyroid is still in tact and functioning well.
    • Posted

really? i have never heard of anyone else recovering from insufficiency/addisons.
    • Posted

I thought we were talking about adrenal - insufficiency.  Not necessarily addisons.  I'm on Cortef to sort of kick start my adrenals in the morning and in the early afternoon.  Nothing for the evening.  I sleep well and am actually rested in the morning. 

?For many years I suffered the effect of a treatment for the thyroid.  Would I have know at the time that the adrenals need to work in balance with the thyroid I would have never gone for this radio active treatment, that ruined a good part of my life.  The adrenals could no longer function properly and now that I'm helped by taking Cortef I haven't felt better.  I can concentrate better, hear better, drive my car better, I have an improved memory, and can move about without having the feeling that part of my body is left behind. 

?Would my thyroid have been left alone and would the medical world have checked the working of the adrenals at the time ...  I keep wondering about that.  In those days, some 30 years ago, there was just a quick diagnoses and I trusted that the docs knew what they were doing. 

• Posted

I think this A1 sounds like secondary adrenal Insufficiency and not Primary Addisons as I read this below

Clinical manifestations of hypopituitarism depend on the type and severity of hormone deficiency. The consequences of adrenal insufficiency (AI) range from smoldering and nonspecific findings (e.g. fatigue, lethargy, indistinct gastrointestinal symptoms, eosinophilia, fever) to full-fledged crisis (e.g. AMS, severe electrolyte abnormalities, hemodynamic compromise, shock). The presentation of central AI (i.e., arising from hypothalamic or pituitary pathology) is often more subtle than primary AI. In central AI, only glucocorticoid (GC) function is disrupted, leaving the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system and mineralocorticoid (MC) function intact. This is in stark contrast to primary AI resulting from direct adrenal gland injury, which nearly always disrupts both GC and MC function, leading to more profound circulatory collapse and electrolyte disturbance

• Posted

Seesmith has hypopituitarism so in all probability his/her thyrroid and adrenals are perfectly ok. The problem arises if they are not getting any instructions [TSH and ACTH respectively] to produce thyroxin or cortisol as needed. So unless he/she really has had a spontaeous recovery of pituitary function (which only blood tests will show), it is a very large accident waiting to happen,

Roddy999 formerly ruadhraigh52147

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.