My advice, tips and personal journey though Interstitial cystitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

*please be aware my personal story contains a bit of tmi, embarrassment on my part and a bit of long winded conversation. Please feel free to scroll to the bottom if you do not wish to hear my journey through ic* smile

I started my periods in 2007. I was 13 years old. Id suffered with one major bladder infection beforehand which made me feel I was peeing razor blades. I screamed when I was weeing. It was total agony. Apart from this i was very healthy and suffered no problems in that area. After my first few cycles, I started getting desperate for the toilet very suddenly, almost weeing myself before I could pull my trousers down. No matter how desperate for the toilet I was, it was only a dribble. There was a definite problem here, but I was 13 and had no idea how bad the situation was. I went to doctors time and time again. Thrush, general wee infections, some kind of ulcer perhaps. I was treated for it all but nothing helped. My mum pointed out It may be due to my periods and so I was scanned, had an ultra sound and was poked and prodded. All this was so traumatic to me. By this time things had gotten worse. I had wee'd myself at school numerous times. Had to tell teachers I was going to be sick just so I was allowed out to run to the toilet. Once the urge to go to the toilet was so bad at school I had to run into the boys bathroom to pee as the girls Loos were so far away. The attacks got worse in summer. The doctors results came back clear, but I had traces of blood in my urine so was given antibiotics again and diagnosed with a weak bladder.

I suffered in silence for two years. Endured constant embarrassment. I was having attacks at least once a week which sometimes lasted days and had wear a sanitary towel constantly in case of accidents. Enough is enough I thought to myself. I tried lots of methods to combat this major issue I was having. I tried cranberry capsules, cutting out acidic foods and drinks, pelvic floor exersice. Nothing helped.

I finished school, and was due to start college. It was a new start for me, I wasn't going to suffer no more. I went to the doctors one more time, told them my symptoms and they immediately diagnosed me with ic. What a relief to finally have a name to the pain!.

At 16, I was starting to care more about my appearance, and dabbled in loads of beauty regimes but suffered badly with acne. I read in a magazine that drinking enough water everyday helps your complexion. I was all for it. Constantly had a bottle of water with me. After a few days, I noticed my symptoms were subsiding, and over time my attacks got less frequent. Who knew something so simple can he'll something as hellish as ic! I am now 22, and last week had my first attack since I was 18! So please, if you have read this far please read on and hear my advice and tips on dealing with Ic.

My type of ic I have come to believe happens when my wee gets too acidic. THIS is why lots of water helps. It weakens the acidity which causes my burning in the bladder and passage out of the bladder. Seriously, drink lots of water, as much as you can handle. Even if your in the middle of an attack, and feel that desperation for a wee every 5 minutes, do it. Always have a bottle of water with you. When you go for a wee, drink again. Its the top tip I will be giving you.

Summer is when my ic gets worse. Its the time when most people are dehydrated and losing more water than they are drinking. So drink up ladies and avoid tea coffee pop and anything like that at all costs! This drink dehydrate not hydrate and can cause more trouble than it's worth.

When you feel an attack coming on (which I certainly do, it's slow starting but once in full blow can last for days!) Drink water. It does not stop the attack, but makes it last a lot less time than if I we're to just let it ride. For example, for me an attack can last for a week, but if I feel one coming on and take the nessasary steps the attack will only last a few days. I know what I'd rather do!

To manage the pain of an attack, I sit on a chair and roll my hips. If you know what I mean. Move them in a circular motion, and make sure your putting a lot of pressure on your *ahem*.

In addition, taking a hot shower or bath also helps. Focus the water on your area. This may sound wrong and dirty. But us girls do it for period pain, so this is really no different.

Ic affects the amount of urine you can hold. I always try to make regular trips to the toilet, but keep to a sort of schedule. Usually once every two hours. For some, thats too often or not enough. i understand. Its a personal preference and every case is different. But the doctors actually told me it helps train the bladder to hold more urine, so it may help you. When i was youner, i was going once every half an hour. When I wee too often, it can cause an attack, but sometimes it can't be helped! Its just our luck. And if you work and don't get a chance to go to the toilet that often, please talk to your manager or person in charge! They will understand, and if you have a medical condition the really shouldn't say no. Its better to at least try.

Be persistent with the doctor if you do not yet have the diagnosis. Keep a diary, something I should have done myself. It might have helped me sooner. If test come back clear, ask for a second opinion. I like in the uk but I understand some people have to pay, so sometimes this isn't an option. Tell the doctors you think you have ic and that you have done ample research and kept records of dates and times of the attacks, what helps and what doesn't. By this alone they may diagnose you straight away but not always. Whatever tests they do, remember the doctor is there to take care of you and have your best interests at heart.

And one last one... optional but a must for me.

Always keep panty liners in your bag. also a spare pair of knkckers and some wet wipes. Just in case you have a little slip up! I have these in my bag and there's no shame in taking precautions. Ic can get you off guard and it's always best to be prepared. No one will know besides you so no need to be embarrassed.

I hope this helped. Even if it's just a little. And sorry for me babbling. I just know how hard it is and wanted to try and he'll those who may be in the dark about this. Please know that your not alone. There were times where I was so depressed and felt so lonely but you will learn to live with it and manage it. I promise. Every case is different but even if I help just one person kick ic's butt I'd be very happy.

Good luck and love to you all xx

3 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Also apologies for my spelling. Its my phone..I promise: )
  • Posted

Thanks for posting all that advice Leannejadee. Lots of good tips there.
  • Posted

Hi, I just wanted to say thanks for sharing. I was wondering, Have you found that Gluten makes your ic worse? I have to eat like a celiac, or I blow up like a watermelon. (I had flour this weekend and I look 6 months pregers) The urologist told me I have it and it will never go away and I have to just live with it. Thats all the advice I got. I just wondered if any one else had this problem, or if I need to look into being a celiac also? Thanks for any help. Amy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.