My Bacterial Vaginosis Fails and the Victory

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm not the type of person who usually writes on forums but I really wanted to share my BV story.

I got BV very randomly, I'm still not sure what caused it. I had one partner (boyfriend of 4 years), never douched, showered twice a day and always cleaned up after sex. One day I noticed a fishy smell with excess discharged and like most women, I was too embarrassed to explain this issue to my doctor.

Initially I went to my doctor to get tested for STDs (foolishly, still didn't tell my MD about the odor) All tests came back negative.

A couple weeks later I went back to my doctor to be tested for a UTI. I was prescribed antibiotics but my doctor called after the culture came back, and the UA was negative.

I then went on to treat myself for a yeast infection. I had never had one, but read online that they often have an odor. I noticed that after my Monostat treatments the odor would usually go away for a day or so but the odor ALWAYS returned during or after intercourse.

After reading about BV, I knew that's what it had to be. Still too embarrassed to tell my doctor, I went to Target and bought the RepHresh vagional gel (it was $20+ for 4 treatments). If I administered the gel prior to intercourse, the odor would go and stay away but would always return the next day. This treatment was way too expensive to only last one night.

I then attempted antiseptic soap, which burned and I read that it could actually make the BV worse.

I then switched to Summers Eve products. I used the spray and their wet wipes after each time I went to the bathroom (poop or pee), I used their douches weekly (big no no but I was desperate), and their pH balancing body wash. But still, none of it helped.

Finally, I decided to read about supplements to treat BV when I came across an article about vitamin C with rose hips being inserted vaginally to be treat BV. I thought "why not, what do I have to lose?!" I went to Rite Aid and bought the Vitamin C with Rose Hip combo for about $4 and inserted 2 tablets vaginally twice a day for a week. The odor went away the morning after my first dose and it has stayed away since my last day of the treatment.

I have had no problems since then. It is such a huge relief.

I read so many posts saying that the vitamin c and rose hips stung/burned. IT DIDNT CAUSE ANY DISCOMFORT. I've read that the vitamin c (without rose hip) also works well to but DO NOT buy any chewable tabs. They have sugar and artificial flavor which will A) burn like hell and B) cause worse problems as yeast and bacteria feed off sugar.

Side note: my BV did not burn or itch. Odor was my only symptom. I believe that itching would have to be BV mixed with a yeast infection. Not once did it cause any physical discomfort.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Wow, very happy to her about your story... if i have BV again.. swtch i knw will happen.... again. I will make sure to use your method. Thanks for your story. Happy to hear you were able to cure yourself.
  • Posted

I'm so happy for you!!! I'm starting a new relationship after not having sex for over a year, bv happened with my last boyfriend( first time it's ever happened to me) and I've been scared to do anything with this one, I get so scared about putting anything inside that doesn't belong haaa, if I have trouble our first time having sex, I will defiantly try the vit c w/ rose hip! I do take probiotics for women with vaginal health in them, killing some of that bad bacteria... Stay tunedsmile would love to hear from you more on how your remedy is working! Thank you again.!

• Posted

PLEASE TELL ME THE BRAND NAME OF THE VITAMIN C AND ROSE HIP PILLS/CAPSULS YOU USED? THANK YOU.
    • Posted

They are just the generic Rite Aid brand tablets. That was the only brand they had in stock but I'm sure any brand would work fine.

• Posted

So hi! I'm 17 years old and I have not been sexually active at all, I'm a virgin. But I think I have BV. I've did some research online and I read that you can get BV by not having sex and by using bath soaps and scented soaps and all that. I believe I've had it for a long while now and I haven't mentioned this to my mom because I don't want her to yell or think I'm lying about not having sex. There's the odor and the itching and the discharge. I want to go to the doctor but that would require teliing my mom and I don't want to do that. But I also read online that if this goes untreated it can cause serious issues and I'm so confused on what to do. So yeah, that's my problem and I just wanted to mention it.

• Posted

It could possibly be a yeast infection honey, I had them at your age and I wasn't sexually active either, I remember putting plain yogurt down there and just lying on my bed haaa, it worked some for the itching but that was years ago, you may need to see a doctor to get something for the itch, I'm sure sometime in her life your mom has had this before, do not use perfumed soaps down below, only cotton underwear and wash them in unscented laundry soap. yes I've been very picky with this part of my body all of my life haaa. but start early knowing how to take the best care you can and hopefully it will help in the future.

• Posted

After 12 years of suffering with BV on & off, I tried this vitamin regimen after reading this forum.That would include the B Complex 800 folic acid, 5000 Iu Vitamin D, acidophilus & the vitamin c with rose hips. Tomorrow will be one week & I still have symptoms, discharge, itching, yet barely an odor. Most of my bv don't have much of an odor. I'm scared to death to insert anything up there, even though I read all about the vitamin C with rose hips. The thought of the horrific burning or orange discharge that was described freaks me out. But just to be clear; my vitamin c pills are caplets, not encapsulated but rather just like a regular vitamin. Is this what you use? How many times a day & after how long do you stop? I know people see results after one day but you probably continue at least for a few days. Can you please be specific. I'm nearly I'm a depression over this. Every culture come back negative but dr says that doesn't mean I don't have one. Just negative for the most common ones they test for. STD always negative.

• Posted

I inserted them 2 times a day for a week and I have had no symptoms since then. The symptoms went away after the first dose. During the day I would put in a tampon to make sure they didn't come out. They Dissolve pretty quickly. Any Vitamin c should work as long as they aren't chewable.

• Posted

Hi. I'm just curious how long u inserted the pills before u stopped? Or do u still do it on a daily basis?

• Posted

I did it for a week. And stopped. I'll occasionally put one in over night to make sure it doesn't come back but so far it hasn't came back.

• Posted

I had the same problems and a friend told me about an asian remedy which I was able to track down and buy online.  It's a cigar shaped stick you insert for about a minute.  I was extremely skeptical after dealing with this problem for years and was ready to try anything.  I noticed within two days the odor had disappeared and mucous had lessened. It's been over 12 months now of just using this product for a few days in the first few weeks and I cannot believe it has not returned.  The product is called Isla Soap stick, I bought it online as I could not find it anywhere in chemists.  I think because it is like a chinese asian medicine.  Trust me it works. I hope this helps you like it did me!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.