my bf has had a morning cough and wheezing for along time

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi my bf has always had acough as soon as he gets up from bed he doesnt cough during the night just when he gets up.he is always clearing his throat to.about ayear an half ago he had a chest xray then they sent him for a ct scan which came up clear.they also done bloods and he had another test i cant think what its called but he had a drink and they xrayed him as he swallowed it that came back clear.he keeps fit runs and does boxing training everyday.he stopped smoking when he was about 18 to.hes now 45.im just worrying as he said he felt out of breath the other day and still coughs. cancer worrys me but im sure the cat scan would hav showed that.he does get hayfever iwas just wondering if anyones had the same probs

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

If your bf has had a ct scan and it doesn't show anything I very much doubt it will be bronchiectasis as there is usually very obvious signs of the disease. 

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply oh is there im glad he had the ct as it ruled out anything serious hopfully.maybe it could b asthma but he does run for about 6miles a day so i dont know if he could do that with asthma
  • Posted

Can't be lung cancer unless he's got a shadow/opacity on his lung and/or has smoked at least 20 pack years (= on average a pack of 20 every day for 20 years). That according to the reknowned lung defence unit at Papworth Hospital. Very unlikely to be a lung lymphoma (a type of cancer but not called "lung cancer" and usually a much better survival rate) with no lung shadow/opacity.

COPD also almost invariably develops only in those who have a heavy smoking history, which someone would not have created if stopping at 18yo.

So don't worry about those big 3 nasties. Unlikely to be bronchiectasis if the cough doesn't not come with sputum production, though early stage bronchiectasis is not easily detectable by scans.

I don't know what it is but it sounds like the doctors may have suspected acid reflux creating a cough reflex - hence the coloured dye taken down the oesophegus during the scan. Have the doctors given any explanation of what they are concluding? Might be some kind of allergic reaction?

Sounds like it's not something that's going to be life limiting and probably something that can be managed without much loss of life-style with the right balance of meds, nutrition and excercise. Hope it turns out even better than that

• Posted

Hi steve thanks for your reply they gave him an inhaler a(turbohaler) the doctor who gave him his ct result said his lungs were strong and his blow test came back good not sure what the correct name is for that test!.and after the test which he had to drink the dye that was clear so he didnt have any more apts after that he just has the inhaler.he does get hayfever.hes had the cough ever since iv known him an wev been together 10yrs.i think i worry about cancer but like u said the ct would have showed that up.
    • Posted

Quite possibly early stage bronchiectasis then. Widening of the bronchi is not easy to detect on scans in the very early stages. Im not a doctor, but I would recommend reading through the threads on here and encouraging your BF to adopt the key health management/maintenance points that we all try to adopt - good sleep, daily exercise of at least 30 mins, sputum clearance excercise, good nutrition.
    • Posted

Hi yes ill say that to him he does excersize for over an hour each day and eat healthy we dont always have good sleep as we havexa 1yr old that doesnt sleep very well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.