My boyfriend suffers from anxiety - advice please

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, 

I decided to write in this group as I need advice from people who suffer with anxiety/ depression as I need to know how best to act towards my boyfriend as a lot has happened this year and I am so confused. Maybe you who suffer can help explain?

I have been with my boyfriend for a year. For the first four months we had an amazing time together and I would never have thought he suffered from any illness. Things were perfect and we really fell in love with eachother. Four months into our relationship whilst on our first holiday together my boyfriend had an anxiety attack. I have never seen anything like it, he struggled to function and was unalbe to be out in public for too long. He thought he was going crazy which added to his anxiety. He informed me that around two years proir to us meeting he had his first anxious episode and was previously seeing a counsellr in relation to this but then stopped as he felt well again. 

Unfortunetly around the time my boyfriend got sick I went away on a two week holiday with a friend [this was booked prior to us meeting]. Apparently I was his rock before I went on this holiday and when I left he felt distraught [as he was still sick with anxiety at this point].

When i returned from the holiday after a week of being back my boyfriend decided to end the relationship with me. He noted that on my return from the holiday he did not feel connected to me anymore. He said when he looked at me it was like there was a glass shield between us. When we had sexual intercourse he reported feeling like there was a shield inbetween us resulting in him feeling nothing. I notcied that my boyfriend started to feel disconnected from me after he started taking Prozac. 

I knew my boyfriend was sick at the time he ended the relationship so I continued to support him and after a week of us being apart he decided that although he did not feel anything for me he wanted to give our relationship another go. I told him that I would support him through this difficult period. 

Whilst giving the relationship a go I spent around four months with my boyfriend without knowing where I stood. EAch day I turned up at his house I would not how he would react with me - whether he would look at me and feel nothing or whether he would like at me and want me in his presence. For around four months my boyfriend reported having "swinging feelings for me" however he maintained that he always looked forward to seeing me. The swinging feelings relate to feeling close to me and then feeling nothing at all. Again this confused me?

Eight months down the line my boyfriend appears to not suffer with anxiety anymore. He is now back at work and seem generally okay however he reports that he has no feelings at all and feels numb. He has been on prozac for around eight months now and the more we go on the less he is being intimate with me. My boyfriend tells me that he doesnt feel anything at all when we kiss, and he has completely lost his libido. He rarely wants to hug or kiss me. however he maintains that he loves me, he loves having me in his presence, he loves snugling up with me in bed. In his opinion the prozac is stopping him from feeling anything at all and he maintains that it is nothing personal towards me. He keeps asking me to be patient as in his view things will get better and we will have a great life together. 

Whilst he is such a lovely guy and treats me well. I can't help but feel concerned about why he doesnt really feel much for me? Any help or advice would be appreciated?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have heard a lot of people who take Prozac experience an emotiional numbing affect. I would tell him to get re-evaluated by his doctor...have the doc check his blood levels to see if he needs to adjust his meds. The dosage may be too high!...and he could also try something other than Prozac..Good luck!
    • Posted

Thx freelance! I just learned something. I have been feeling emotionless and now that I think about it, it may be the prozac! My psychiatrist just upped my prozac today from 20mg to 40. He prescribed buspar for anxiety.
    • Posted

Thanks for this advice. He is due to come off his medication in September so we will see how things go.
    • Posted

I guess this is a normal side effect of Prozac then? When you say emotionless can you explain a little more - it will help me understand the situation a little more. Do you have a partner?
    • Posted

You are welcome and I wish him the best. I dont take Prozac but have heard stories about people who have tried to commit suicide while taking it and I have also heard of people who feel emotionally numb while taking the medication. 
    • Posted

I am separated from my husband for almost two years. However, I was suffering with severe anxiety and depression. I began to have this terrible fear. I believe it was a medication I was taking. Anyhow, during this dark period of impending doom, I agreed to get back with my husband. That made me become more depressed and anxious. The doctor prescibed prozac and I have no feeling. What happens doesn't matter. I know I have made the biggest mistake of my life but i'm numb to it. I'm flat about anything. That's a big problem that nothing matters. I can't make decisions, don't know what I want because I'm emotionless.
    • Posted

I would talk to your doctor and tell him how you are feeling so he can adjust your meds or prescribe you something else to take. This emotional numbess sounds like an all too common thing for people who take Prozac. Perhaps you can take something else for your condition...something that has less side effects.    
    • Posted

Thanks Freelancewriter! I will contact my doctor and tell him how I'm feeling. Hopefully changing the medication will bring back some emotions.
    • Posted

Oh you're welcome! and good luck. Let me know what the doc says and let me know of your progress OK? lol
    • Posted

:-) I will! Things have been so overwhelming but I am doing everything I can to get my life back. Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.