My Calcium (HyperParathyroid) test result

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone, so all these years i have battled with a lot of symptoms that has reduced my quality of life greatly and i have done several tests to ascertain what could really be wrong but all cam back normal. In my quest to find the answers, i came across a thread on these forum concerning Hyperthyroidism and the sysmptoms were sincerely the same with mine and i knew i was getting closer to the answers. I just had a calcium test done and it shows that my calcium level is 12.87 which is outside the reference range of 8.5 - 10.4. Please does this imply that i have hyperthyroidism disease or do i have to take any other tests?

I'll also like to know if my calcium level shows that i have primary or secondary hyperthyroidism as i saw this somewhere.

Thanks

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

Most likely,Yes. My sons calcium was 13.8. The family Doc ordered him to have his Parathyroid hormone tested and it was extremely high. Having both calcium and PTH high is a clear indication you have hyperparathyroidism. So please get your pth checked as soon as you can. Any other questions please let me know. I'm not a dr. But we went through this last summer and he had his one parathyroid removed.

Take care

• Posted

Hello I agree with Gonga It is not hyperthyroidism but hyper parathyroidism (two different glands thyroid and parathyroid) with very different actions. You have to check the PTH to confirm but you are clearly out of range and the normal issue is surgery to take off the bad gland (three left if the others are OK) Good luck

• Posted

I actually mistakenly typed hyperthyroidism instead of hyperparathyroidism. It's due to one of the symptoms that I've been suffering from.

I'm eventually going to do the PTH test. However, I've accepted the fact that I most likely have Hyperparathyroidism and it's a relief that I have something to cling on to after years of being in the dark. I have also narrowed my mind to the surgery, that's after doing my due diligence but here are a few things that I will like to know about the survey.

I currently live in Nigeria and I don't think there are surgeons who specialize in parathyroidism. So, I may need to look outside the country. Can you guys recommend any good surgeons out there.

I will also like to know what the cost implication for the surgey would be based on your experience.

• Posted

I knew what you meant? If my son @ 19 went through surgery (if that is what you need) than you can do it. Dr. Norman in Tampa, FL USA is who performed the surgery. He is best of the best..but I'm sure there are Dr.s closer to you who are just as knowledgeable. Dr Norman is known to perform surgeries to patients throughout the world in Tampa.

• Posted

I am in France, I know a good surgeon but I don't know the cost when you come without Securité Sociale

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.