My dad died from alcholic liver disease

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am writing this really for people to be aware of the dangers of excessive drinking, my dad died 4 weeks ago from liver disease and was only diagnosed with it 3 months prior, he went into hospital 3 times with fluid on the stomach and died on the last admission, he was so poorly and frail that he had no muscle left. My whole family just cant believe how quick he detoriated and even though his illness was self inflicating in a way as he was an alcoholic for 40 yrs, you never want to see what we have witnessed. At the time of diagnosis he was told not to drink again which he said he wouldnt he was given tablets to help wean off the drink and even though we went round everyday to check on him, after the funeral we found over 15 empty bottles of vodka in his bedroom which he had hidden, and when we called an ambulance the day before he died as he was having trouble breathing the paramedic asked him why he was drinking when he knew the risks his reply was \" i just thought f*ck it \", so basically he drank himself to death, when he died he was just 55 yrs old, he had another good few years in him, so if any alcoholics are reading this please please seek help to get off the drink as you never know whats round the corner.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Kikidee, I'm so sorry that you lost your father in such a distressing way and at such a young age. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

I think we are all aware of the dangers of excessive drinking today, but as you say, your father's deterioration was so rapid. Alcoholism is an illness, and there are many who would dearly like to live without drink, but find it impossible to do so particularly with the stresses and strains of modern life.

Like you, I would urge anyone to seek help before irreversible damage is done.

• Posted

My dad is in hospital at the moment with liver failure,

hes 44 and has been an severe alcoholic for about 4-5 years and im his 16 year old daughter

its upsetting seeing him all wired up and not even being able to speak to me

ive not seen him for the past year because he doesnt live with me and his alcohol addiction was his main priority

everyone tried to make him stop and get him help but he insisted he didnt need it or didnt want it

ive always been close to my dad and its horrible seeing how the way things have gone and knowing things could have worked out different if only he had helped himself before things got this bad but instead he has basically drank himself to death.

im sorry about your loss kikidee sad

Id just like to say if any alcoholics are reading this and probably thinking, im not that bad, it wont happen to me, things will end up getting worse my dad said the same thing now hes lost; his job, his family & wife, and i dont want him so lose his life to it.

So if you are an alcoholic please get help to stop drinking, your problems wont be solved by looking into the bottom of a bottle.

x x x

• Posted

HI Kikidee. Iam sorry for what happen to your dad. but I thank you for being brave and post this message. My name is kayarina and i study journalism at kingston university, I'm writing a feature on alcohol liver disease, could you answer some questions please? I really need your help.

email: ****

thanks in advance

[i:38fec13358][b:38fec13358][color=green:38fec13358][size=9:38fec13358](Sorry but Patient Admin have removed either a telephone number, an email address, a postal address and or web address, from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.

If you wish to communicate directly with people, you should register, for free, with the forum (click Register in the menu list below the green banner above). You and other registered members will then be able to communicate with each other via Private Messaging (PM) or e-mail.) [/size:38fec13358][/color:38fec13358][/b:38fec13358][/i:38fec13358]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.