My dad had a stroke 4 months ago

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi my dad had a stroke 4 months ago....which affected the right side of the brain....He was recovering well....but 2-3 weeks ago he started to have an impairment in his speech. Where he can't get any words out its like a severe stutter...why is this happening now...He slightly lost his speech after the stroke it soon came back....His balance and cognitive ability were the most affected...any advice please xx

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kazzabee, I had a stroke last November, I had a third small one a week later and from that one I developed a stammer which I still have now, I am due to start speech therapy in a couple of weeks hopefully they will help. Tell your dad to ask about speech therapy now as most hospitals have a long waiting list.xx
    • Posted

Hi trudy...already done....waiting on appointment...Thanks for your help xx
  • Posted

Hopefully he is still under medical care and they have ruled out any subsequent small strokes? Otherwise he needs to go back and be checked over. The Stroke Association is a good place to get information - they have fact sheets in most aspects of stroke including communication difficulties and aphasia. They may have services in your local area too. Their helpline number is 0303 3033 100 and web address is www.stroke.org.uk. Hope you get the advice/support you and he need. All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.