My daughter has been having abdominal pain, doctors haven't helped

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello, my daughter is 9 years old and has a history of mild constipation. She takes Movicol when needed. This week has been partically bad, she has developed a pain along the left side of her stomach. So the week has been 

Monday - small poo

Tuesday - no poo agonising pain left side

Wednesday - small poo, left side pain

Thursday 3 poos (4 sachets of Movicol as 2 wasnt working)

Friday 2 poos, pain

Saturday 1 poo, pain

and she is in terrible pain again today, she cannot stand or walk with it. Doctor said constipation even though she is going every day, a nurse at the hospital said a pulled muscle. 

Any idea what this pain on her left side could be? 

Thanks 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Try lactulose, an osmotic laxative. 

Look at other options here: 

https://patient.info/health/constipation-in-children-leaflet

• Posted

Thank you. I just want to know what the pain is. She's had it for 3 hours constant now. I've given her 10mg Buscopan which hasn't helped. She's had her Movicol. Sometimes she gets sharp stabbing pain which makes her cry out. She's lost her appetite and feels sick. I don't know how to help her or ease the pain. Calpol doesn't work either.

• Posted

Hi,

I too have children,one of 12yrs who has suffered intermittent contipation for much of his life. If I was in in your current situation I would probably take my child to A&E simply to rule out an obstruction. This can be done with a simple blood test so nothing too intrusive (as would be my concern with my child). My thought's are possible diverticuitiis (due to it being left side pain). Although I'm sure you wouldn't, just don't leave it too long to get her seen. I've been having right sided abdo pain and constipation (which is why I've googled the life out of constipation/abdo pain etc) and find that GP's are very quick to try and pacify people. Hope she feels better soon as I know how awful it is when you can't make it better as a parent xx

• Posted

Hi emma24946

What is your daughters diet like? Does she eat plenty of fibre fruit and veg and drink plenty of water...if not change her diet asap......best wishes...

• Posted

If pain continues after changing her diet for a few weeks go back to doc or A & E...

• Posted

Just back from the hospital. She has a bad urine infection and is on antibiotics. They aren't sure on what's causing the left pain, it's a small hospital so couldn't scan or x Ray. If no improvement with pain in 24 hours I take her up to the big hospital where they can run more tests. Blood tests she has had and they all came back normal. She's feeling a little better and the pain has eased.

• Posted

Hi emma24946

So glad to hear that your daughter is being dealt with...i do hope the docs will get to the bottom of what is causing her pain...best wishes..keep us posted...

• Posted

I can not advise on the pain as I have had it myself on and off through the years, with no one giving me a diagnosis on it. Same side just below the stomach. Taking probiotics with prebiotics has helped. Getting gut bacteria back in balance integral.
  • Posted

I can relate to this but worrying for a child. Does she drink plenty and have same time visit to the bathroom? I get the same pain and am told it's

TRAPPED WIND - this can be VERYpainful. No medso help me.....

Good luck

• Posted

So my daughter has been on antibiotics since Sunday night, rest, plenty of water and calpol and she is still in absolute agony on the left side of her stomach and I don't know what to do! Is this normal for a UTI or is it something else? If she is no better tonight I'm taking her up to the big hospital. It's been 8 days of pain now.

• Posted

Hi Emma,

I followed your posts on this and had hoped your daughter was on her way to recovery and I'm so sorry to hear she isn't. From one parent to another if she is in agony I'd take her to the big hospital just to have her xrayed, scanned etc to rule out anything worrying such as a bowel obstruction. Twenty four hours on antibiotics should yeild some improvements in her pain however if not I'd suggest she needs to be seen asap. Best of luck, my thoughts are with you and your daughter

• Posted

Hi emma24946

Yes the pain has gone on far too long now..your daughter needs to have a scan or x-ray...where there is pain there is something causing it......take her to the hospital as soon as you can.....i really hope you can get an answer at the hospital...my best wishes to you and your daughter...keep us updated...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.