My depression has returned

Posted , 4 users are following.

After a very painful & difficult 5 months I had started to come out the other side a bit stronger & happier. But now I am right back where I started & the sadness, pain & loneliness has returned. I know lots of people but I am lonely, people say they care but I feel unloved & unwanted. The tears have hardly stopped in the last 48 hours but there is nobody to wipe them away. Do I want to go on, I really don't know.

I have recently been discharged from the community mental health team, altho was referred to a psychologist for assessment re possible longer term support but he didn't think I needed it. Can't get an appointment to see GP but even if I could there is nothing she can do to help or ease my suffering. I'm trying to hold myself together but don't know if I can this time.........

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Please call your doctor again and tell them you must see someone ASAP

or you may have a mental health crisis team in your area and contact them.

You just need a little more help

Stay Strongcool

• Posted

what meds and how strong are they what your on,you just keep in there ,keep fighting the fight,easy said i know but trust me i go through the same on a daily basis,u just got to keep fighting,smile
    • Posted

Thanks Gary. I am on Venlafaxine 262.5mg daily. Last year my then GP wondered if I needed to change to another drug & referred me to psychiatrist at CMHT but she didn't think a different drug would make any difference - plus I was concerned about coming off Venlafaxine after reading some scary stories both here and other sites.
  • Posted

Due to the huge demand on the NHS these days and government cut backs many people with mental health issues are not getting the treatment or attention they deserve, in my opinion.

I believe most NHS trusts have a triage system in place for mental health. The people who get priority treatment tend to be people who are floridly psychotic, who present a real and imminent danger to others and, or themselves. Next in line come people with hyper manic symptoms who don't represent an immediate danger to others or themselves but whose behaviour is very likely to elicit a hostile response in some people. 

Sadly, and disgracefully in my opinion, people suffering the horrible torment of depression aren't high on the list of mental health priorities for the NHS.

If you are genuinely feeling suicidal then you must do what Lynne suggested and call your GP or your local psychiatric crisis team.

Here are some things I've done in the past when I've felt things were too much. I've paid to go into a private hospital for a month of treatment and respite. I've gone and stayed in a Bhuddist temple, which was very peaceful and gave me some time out from the pressure of normal everyday life. There have been times though when I was telling my doctor I wasn't well and needed to be admitted to hospital and was ignored, resulting in my depressive illness becoming acute and me being detained under the mental health act.

My point is there are things that you can do for yourself. However if you are suffering acutely and you are not looking after yourself properly as a result (not eating regularly, not bathing regularly, not leaving the house, not doing any house work etc) then you must phone your doctor and ask to see a CPN. I've just listed some symptoms that if you mention, should definitely result in you at least being assessed.

Sorry this is a long reply, but I really feel for anyone in your position. I don't think you're getting the help you deserve.

I hope things begin to look up for you. Keep a hold on hope.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.