My doc wants me to start to cut my dose down.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I been on it for ten days and been waking up jittery and feels like my heart is racing. Hasthis happen to anyone else. He wants me to cut down my dose to 5mg from 10. please let me know

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

He might want you to start on 5mg (I did) and work your way up slowly!

The side effects shouldn't be as bad and being jittery is one of them!

Just bare in mind that once you get used to dose but Dr may want to increase it again you may get side effects again until your body adjusts!

I have found this antidepressant really good (I was previously on citalopram and didn't work)

Please stick with it as you often feel worse before you feel better!

Sue

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. I just feel scared and alone. I am a single dad of three . I just wanted to feel like my old self again. I didn't think i was depressed at all. it was at night when I couldn't fall asleep is when my anxiety disorder kicked in. But on the medicine it feels like the jitters the worst in the morning. Well especially around the heart area. And i am so tired in the morning and yawning. so i told my doc about it and he said cut in half and now i am worried it wont work.

• Posted

Ditto exactly what Sue said Daka. I have been on it for several years now (now on 15mg) & it controls my anxiety & depression well. feeling jittery is an intital side effect that wears off as your body gets used to it which is why the doc gradually builds up dose. x

• Posted

How long does it take for it to wear off. I think on 10 mg i felt every side effect you can. But like yesterday i felt better just really tired and yawning alot and foggy. And this morning jittery and not tired . i wonder if i a close to the end of the side effects
    • Posted

when you start it it can take anywhere from 2-6wks to get used to it/start to feel better. also each time you increase dose you may get the side effects again, but perhaps not so bad as when you first start it altogether. everyone is different. most anti depressants take a while for your body to get used to it, & then to start feeling better. try not to worry(i know its hard when the pill you're taking is making you feel more anxious) as these are expected side effects & they are only temporary. you really need to give each dose change a good 4wks(upto 6wks sometimes) before you see if you've reached the right dose for you as an individual. you will know when you've reached the right dose as you will just start feeling more like yourself again more consistently.  hope this helps a bit.

• Posted

it helps more then you know.. And its good to hear from people that have the same thing as i do. Its the morning are the worst but the bouts of sadness come and go.So did you get sad when first taking them ?
    • Posted

Yes. but i still am on 15mg day & it keeps me level. I'm 45, & since age 19 have had stressful but enjoyable jobs & other life challenges that have triggered long bouts of anxiety & depression in me. i have probably been on anti depressants more so than not so since age 19. but, if you're a caring worrisome person like me, you may happen to be more prone to anxiety & depression than "harder nosed" people. if you have to take medication to keep you level headed, "normal",  happy, well balanced & able to cope more effectively with life's more difficult challenges, then i say, so be it. think of people with diabetes or high blood pressure; they are medical conditions that peak & fall & meds may need adjustment, withdrawal or adding. anxiety & depression is the same - a medical condition that peaks, levels, sometimes goes.

typically with escitalopram, morning anxiety is a common side effect while getting used to the med, changing doses until you reach the level for you.  both sue & don on this forum have both been through it this year on this med........it does get better. i hope they may post to reassure you its tough at first, but does get better with time.

Another thing that significantly helped me was cognitive behaviour therapy(cbt). my doc arranged it for me on nhs over 6yrs ago. it helps to retrain your thinking mechanism, so you don't get swept down the river of negative thoughts & "what iffing" & catastrophising about what may or may not happen. it was life changing for me in all aspects of life - work, home, health - everything. it may be worth asking for this with your gp (one to one cbt best). you need to be open minded.

when you feel really anxious(side effect) or sad, try to drum into yourself - its ok - its only the tablets adjusting in my body - its temporary - it will pass in weeks to come.

there is a minority that may not get on with escitalopram like any med. but you need to commit to a fair trial at varying upward doses for weeks at a time to see if they help you as they have done with me, don, sue.  if you ever feel like things are so bad you feel suicidal you must contact your doctor IMMEDIATELY or go to a & e. (but this is very unlikely). You will feel more tired; depression, anxiety, & meds take it out of a person!! Don't beat yourself up if you need to catch a nap when you can!!

Also, try to focus on the good things in your life - your 3 children. medication & trying to change your way of thinking about everything, re-evaluating what's important & what's not make a huge difference to mental wellbeing.

Hope this helps & sorry for the long ramble. take care.

• Posted

Hi loo loo, me again!!!!

Do you ever get off days? If so, what symptoms do you get?

I feel a bit off today, had a great busy day out yesterday with my daughter and friends, felt fine last night but feel off, slow and tired! It will wear off no doubt but just wondered as generally the tablets are helping!

We went to a garden centre yesterday and it was lovely and Christmassy but sitting today I'm thinking I'm not really looking forward to it as it's always a reminder of who's not around anymore, my mum, dad and mother in law! I do think of who I do have but I still get this awful empty feeling!!! Sorry to bother you again x

• Posted

Hi Sue, yes, I think we all get off days, even people that don't suffer with anxiety or depression - its a fact of life unfortunately!  try to focus on all the happy times you had with people who are no longer around at christmas time, & enjoy time with the people that are around you.  xxx

• Posted

Hi, just wanted to say how much of a help Loo loo was to me, everything she says is so right and I experienced a lot of what you are! Believe us when we say it WILL get better! For some quicker than others but you WILL get there! Mornings were always worse for me too and my emotions were all over the place but now I'm happy!!! Don't get me wrong I still get off days but I think we all do wether we have anxiety or not! Life can't be sweet all the time for anyone!

Just try to concentrate on here and now and take baby steps! All the best, Sue

• Posted

fab post Sue. life's never perfect, but if we can get a grip on most of it, we're winning.

hug to you hun.

xxxx

• Posted

Thank you i have a delimaia my general doc wants to increase my dose up to 15mg and gave me lorazpam. 25 to take if i feel anxiety. now my psychiatrist wants me to cut my genic lexapro in half to 5 mg. i am so confused and only on day 15 . What do i do
    • Posted

I am no doc daka, but if it were me i would be going with your general doc's proposal of going upto 15mg & the very lose of lorazapem if you need it. i have taken 0.5mg of lorazapem at night in the past when i was having difficulty sleeping. also its very important to take your escitalopram in the morning (my doc & pharmacist told me this).  i don't know why your psychiatrist would want you to cut down when you haven't given the med a fair try - it seems like a backward step to me.  i  am just going on my experience personally. have you told your genereal doc what the psych suggested you do??

• Posted

Yes i went and seen my pd and he thought i couldn't handle the side effects so he wanted to cut me down and start on something else. but i told him i came this far i like to see if it helps. i have noticed a difference but its only like a day or two then feel crappy again. but today is week three day 21 . Still waking up with anxiety. i haven't touch the lorazpam because o am scared of it. but i am still on 10 mg .

• Posted

Hi Daka, I was very similar to you with increase doses and side effects and I also didn't want to start all over again and have improved loads on 15mg! Don't get me wrong I did get side effects with increased dose but not as bad and still get off days but overall I'm so much better!!!

I think it would be worth giving the 15 a shot! Good luck 😊

• Posted

Thanks susan juat bites waiting couple days good then anxiety again abd the thinking . I started ut because my anxiety and wasn't to depressed but now i feel sad because i worry about it

• Posted

Hi Daka. i would endorse what Sue said about increase in doses & temp side effects. i personally would go back to your gp after you've on 10mg for 5wks if you're still not feeling more like yourself to see about going upto 15mg.  good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.