My experience of kidney stone. How to prevent it further?

Posted , 5 users are following.

One night while my stay at office I had the tragedy. I was trying to sleep inside sleeping bag. I started feeling some uncomfort in my spinal area. I stood up and then set for a while on chair. I started feeling pain in back and felt like going to loo. I passed my stools but with lots of sweating and pain. I looked me in mirror and saw my self sweating and felt like vomiting and severe heaviness in chest. I rushed to the room and set for a while but no improvement. It was 2'oclock night. I asked help to one of my colleague and was taken to nearby hospital. They given me painkillers and pain subsided and got the discharge. At home pain started again but this time on right kidney side and I had another visit to hospital. The ultrasound report detected a 3mm stone and I was admitted in hospital. After CT scan, Intravenous pyelogram and X-rays, it was found that a stone was 4.5 mm which stuck in ureter on right side. I was operated by uteroscopy with laser lithotripsy. The doctor had put the stent and discharged me to home with medications. The stone was made up of Calcium oxalate (90%) along with urate and cystine. I further visited hospitals for routine checkups. I had my stent removed after 4 weeks of operation. The doctor advised me to drink plenty of fluids and have some dietary restrictions. I was discharged with antibiotics, painkillers and anti-oxalate medicines. So it was my experience of kidney stone. An unexpected tragedy :-(. I am looking to have recommended lifestyle. But still how would I save myself to have such horrible tragedies? as kidney stones can develop further involving a genetic risk.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

It could be a nightmare for you. I had a 2cm*1.7cm stone in my kidney which has been removed a month ago using PCNL, but I didn't have bad pain sometimes I had pain, but I have IBS which has similar symptoms so I didn't know that I had a stone, a week after the operation the surgeon inserted a stent because the stone made my kidney swollen so the urine couldn't go to the bladder, but the stent has been removed today, so everything should be fine. My doctor thought after the x-ray that my one could be a calcium stone, and I will see him in 3 weeks time, so probably he can tell me exactly what kind of stone it was. The lab checking time is 4-6weeks. But If you drink enough mainly water and your urine is colourless, if you have a dietary restictions keep that, and take your anti-oxalate, I don't think you can do a lot more. Maybe go to ultrasound scans every 6months or ask from your doctor how often he suggest it. My stone has been discovered in an ultrasound scan.

• Posted

Ya it is really tough to deal with it physically and mentally. And when you have a family history of kidney stones you put yourself on risk of developing more stones. Well thanks for the concern. Hope you will be fine soon.
  • Posted

Hi Ankit,

Exactly same thing 4.5 mm..same procedure etc..but Dr asking to take stent out in 10 days..Should I keep Stent more than that.

Also were your tissues grew more than the previous state...that's the concern for future stone..and chances to stuck near new tissues

Mine is uric acid stone...

I pledge to drink 90 Oz of water daily..that way if stone formed it come out right away

• Posted

Hi sid.

Decision for taking out stent will be taken by Dr. So it should be correct. I am not sure about my tissues. My stent was taken out day before yesterday by cystoscopy and no further tests were done.

I have been drinking 4-5 litres of water a day and plenty of other fluids (juice, soup etc.). My concern is my susceptibility to develop it (the family history and genetic risk). Doctor said there is no solution for future risk for stones except fluids. Well will try my best to control.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.