My Experience - Upper Gastrointestinal Endoscopy and Colonoscopy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I would like to share my experience of having an Upper Gastrointestinal Endoscopy and Colonoscopy.

When i got my appointment in for the above procedure i googled it just like most folk and the search brought me to this forum.

I would like to share my experience.

I was initially concerned about the bridge i have in my teeth as the info sheet the hospital sent said teeth and bridges could get damaged, but when i askedthe Dr, he said its never happened to any of his patients before and the mouth piece is more to protect their expensive equipment.

Anyway........Booked in for an 8:30am appointment.  On the Friday i had my breakfast at 9am and that was the last i ate until after the procedure.

Made up the first batch of Moviprep and started to drink it at 12:30.  I must admit this stuff was awfull. The info sheet said not to chill but in all honestly it was easier to drink chilled.

I just downed the glass and had normal drinking water ready to take the horrible taste away. I drank the rest over the next hour.

No bowel movement until 3 O'clock, and boy that was some bowel movement. lol.  If you like a good read i suggest taking a book up with you.

Made up the next batch and started that at 5pm and again finished it within the hour.  Absolutlely horrible stuff but wanted the doctor to have a clear view so I just got on with it.

I was basically in the loo until 11pm but managed to get a good nights sleep. I also suggest baby wipes and nappy cream as I started to get really sore with all the bile etc.... be prepared for constant water.........yuk

I decided against sedation and to be totally honest im glad i did.  The doctor explained the procedure and gave me the spray in my throat.  Again horrible horrible stuff.  Started to go numb within a minute.

Lay on my side, nurse put the mouth guard in and the Dr inserted the tube.  He told me when to swallow and this is when he slowly pushes the tube down.  It felt as if i was swallowing something that i had not chewed but not painfull.

The nurse kept telling me to breathe slowly and it was over within 2 minutes. They took 2 biopsies and never felt them taking them.

Ok, now to the bottom end.  I reckon the Dr was checking my prostate and puting some gel for the scope.  Then he slowly inserted the tube which i watched on the screen which was amazing.

Again a bit of discomfort when they were going around the  bends but not too bad. I imagined it to be alot worse. It felt like stomach cramps !!

The Dr and nurses were fantastic and it was great us all having a conversation while this was all going on, thats how easy this all went.

They took 8 biopsies frrom various parts and again never felt a thing despite me seeing them being taken.

That was me all done. Got dressed and went straight home because i had no sedation.

When walking to the car i started to get bad cramps and loads of wind, but that only lasted a few hours. 

I would say that worst part for me was the moviprep drink. The rest was easy.

Thank goodness for the NHS and their great nurses and Drs.

Over and out 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I gagged during the upper endocscopy regardless of the sedative and throat spray.  thank god it ended quickly.  They took biopsies.  During thr colonoscopy I was sedated but I remember feeling cramps during.  The prep was awful.  It tasted like a salty water and I was on the toilet a couple of hours nonstop.  The morning of the tests I was so hungry and thirsty and dying for coffee i got impatient waiting and was glad when they finally took me in for the procedure.

Still waiting for the biopsy results from the colonoscopy.  The endoscopy results were negative.

• Posted

Glad that didnt happen to me jim.  I just focused on my breathing, kept calm  and got through it without too much discomfort.

Im also still waiting on my results, but if i had to i would have it done again. 

There were also another 4 people in the same ward as myslef, and one guy panicked and said he couldnt go through with it and left.  That was a shame because something is going on with his body and it needs checked.

In my case i have 3 beautiful kids and a  fantastic wife and if there is anything then its best found early.

All the best.

• Posted

I has a colonoscopy earlier this year and found it pretty uneventful thankfully. The prep was the worst though. Yesterday I endured an horrific gastroscopy sad I couldn't breath, my bowel went into spasm and they struggled to take the 4 biopsies required. The sedation didn't do a god damn thing! I could feel my bowel in a tight knot and it was so painful I was curled into a ball whilst they had to keep reminding me to breath. Never again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.