My experience with frozen shoulder

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone. I joined the forum to share my experience with FS and hopefully to learn some new things that I can try. I have just been diagnosed with FS in my right shoulder. This is my second time as I had it in my left shoulder four years ago. I am part of that very small statistic of about 6 in 1000 people that get it in both shoulders! I am now at the very early stage of my second one and the constant pain has only now kicked in. What makes it easier this time is the fact that I know it is going eventually get better. From my previous experience, I can say that nothing really helped much to relieve the pain, increase flexibility or make it go away sooner. I had the typical frozen shoulder as the condition is described on the web and in books. It took about two and a half years in total to return to return to normal. I went through all three stages. It is now 4 years later and my left shoulder is about 95% of what it used to be. I think I can probably get it back to 100% if I do some of the prescribed exercises. I remember how the constant pain lasted for about three months and then suddenly went away. I took medication called Lyrica Pregabalin and it helped for the pain. I also took sleeping pills for a few months. It was really only the first 6 months that were tough, after tgat it got gradually better but the restricted movement stayed with me for a very long time. What I have learnt was that one must just be patient and stick it out. It does get better and eventually does go away. I feel that I am now a lot more prepared to handle it. I am not going to get depressed again. I already got the same medicine for the pain and it does help. I will just see this out.  I am male and 53 years old. I wish everyone that is suffering from FS a lot of strength and a speedy recovery. Please know that with time you will beat it.

Regards

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello FrozenZA,

I too am suffering to a second frozen shoulder, I am a 53 year old female that had frozen shoulder in my left arm 21/2 years ago at which my left arm is still stiff but has better range of motion then has in 2 years.  I am going into my second frozen shoulder in my right shoulder, I swear the pain is 100 times worse then with my left as I am right handed but everyone is telling me Ive forgotten how bad the pain was in my left side.  I am going to physical thearpy a few times a week, I have not gotten any injections as they did nothing for my left shoulder so I just refused them for the right.  I see my orthorpedic doctor again next week for an evaluation.  I am taking pain meds in the evening to help me sleep and I am still waking several times during the night in serious pain,  I can't take the meds during the day cause I work a full time job which some days I just don't know how Im gonna get through it.  My PT gave me an TENS unit to try over the weekend to help control my pain, it seems to help, the unit runs for 15 minutes and I use it approximately every 4 hours.  Its not a cure but it does help with the pain management.  I do know that this will pass in time, but Im ready for it to be done now, it effects every aspect of my life !!

Best of luck to you, if you figure out a simple way to ease the pain without taking a bunch of pain meds please share !!

• Posted

I used to have the tens constantly!  If it helps with the pain you could just guy a unit that doesn't have a timer.  I had one that worked but on electric and batteries. You may be able to plug in at work and no one would notice. Just use batteries. Mine clipped to my waist/belt or wherever. Good luck!
    • Posted

Hi Terry. Did you find that the tens unit helped you with the pain management better ?
    • Posted

There were many days I couldn't have lives without it. I actually kept increasing the pulse thru the day as the pain broke thru. Much better than taking narcotics. My unit was both a tens unit and another setting that sent deeper vibrations. I would recommend getting a good unit that can be returned easily if there is a problem  they are not all created equal if you know what I mean. You can also ask the doctor for lidocaine patches to be used separately especially when at work. I wish you much luck. Be good to yourself even more during this painful time!
    • Posted

Hi Lisa. Thanks for your response and support.  I am not familiar with the TENS unit but will definitely check it out. I am really struggling with the pain now, it seems to be getting worse. The pain meds does help but does not eliminate the pain completely. I take it during the day as well even though I work a full time job.  I have done a lot of research over the last few years and also in recent weeks to try and find relief, but have found that there are a lot of scams out there. My view is still that nothing much helps, other than time.  Someone has suggested acupuncture- have you tries it. I don't believe it will work but as I am desperate, I may just give it a go.  Best of luck  to you too. I will definitely let if you if I find anything that helps!
  • Posted

You are not alone. My first fs came after a motorcycle accident. I basically just had physio and suffered for the duration. About two years or so of misery. My second came from trying to compete doing pull ups with a guy in his twenties who was on the Nepalese national gymnastics team. I was 56 at the time. Needless to say, he won. What a pillock you are thinking. All I can say is that you will forget about the incredible pain once you are over it. I was diagnosed both times by orthopaedic surgeons. My recent fs on the other shoulder seemed to be so much worse. Cortisone had no effect. Eventually after spending hundreds on physio, I had surgery. An arthroscopic capsular release. This was followed by some fairly hard physio. Believe me it works. I have pretty much returned to full movement. No pain. Had the surgery on a Friday back to work on the following Monday in a fairly physical job. I can barely see the scars. Tiny keyhole surgery. The chapter that did my shoulder described fs as a benign self limiting condition that would clear after a few years. His view was the surgery gets you a long way to the finishing line. He's entirely correct. I'm really glad I had it and if anyone has any doubts I'd say put them to one side and go for it
    • Posted

Hello grahame87245

So glad that the surgery worked so well for you. I was told by my physical thearpy team that I'm not a good candidate for surgery for many reasons being that I have developed frozen shoulder for a second time in my other shoulder for no reason. I Don't play sports I am an administrator and work at a desk all day. My disadvantage is that I'm 5'1 and over reach and over extend myself to reach up in cabinets. I'm so happy that surgery worked for you. If I had a guarantee that it would work for me I would do it

• Posted

Thanks Graham. It is interesting to hear how the surgery has worked for you. I am constantly considering surgery but have been hesitant as my current condition is not as severe as with my first FS.  I have also read that surgery is only recommended for extreme cases, which I don't think I have.  A friend of mine had the surgery for her FS and it didn't help.  The shoulder was better for about three weeks and then the freezing started again.  I guess it also depends on the specific surgeon, and the results may vary from person to person.  I am very happy for you that it has worked for you.  It is definitely an option to consider and I will probably go for it if my condition worsens significantly over the next few weeks.  Many thanks for sharing with me.  This information helps a lot.  Regards.
  • Posted

Hi frozen ZA, I just needed to read this, thank you for sharing your story, I'm just over a year in with my frozen shoulder, I have about 90% range of movement now compared to 20% in the beginning. Still struggle at night to get comfy, but really loads better. It's encouraging to think that it will keep improving. Good luck with the other arm I hope you make a speedy recovery . 😊
    • Posted

Hi Sara, thank you for the feedback and well wishes.  Great to hear that you are making such good progress with your recovery.  I agree, it does help if one also hear the positive stories.  I believe that with this illness it is very important to know that it will get better.  As I have experienced it with my first FS, I felt that I just wanted to share it with everyone, as I can remember how depressing the outlook was for me.  This time I am a lot more positive, but unfortunately, it does not take the physical pain away!  Thanks again for your reply.  Regards.
  • Posted

Hi!

Thank you for this post. It is such a pleasure to read something positive as we do tend to get bogged down with the pain and how awful it is. I think it is so much harder to sope with the sirst time isn't it? (Especially the shock of getting it diagnosed and then realising there is not much that can be done to alleviate the symptoms and pain?)

I have just returned from my physio session and found out that I have 3 slipped discs and cervical dis hypertrophy - not a happy girl as they are suggesting an operation to put this all back how it should be....

We shall see...............

THanks again!

• Posted

Hi Claire.  Thank you so much for your reply.  Wishing you well with the operation.  Please remember to always get a 2nd opinion before you have the operation done.  All the best.
  • Posted

Everything I read suggested surgery was the last option. When I had mine done, it was like a production line. Probably at least ten of us. I've mentioned this before but think its worth repeating. Have a look at the website for th London upper limb unit. This chap sorted my shoulder. He answers a lot of questions and suggests an nhs route to him. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.