My experience with Paxil

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm here if anyone has questions regarding long term use of Paxil for Panic/anxiety.  I started panic attacks in 1967 at age 27.  It took years before a very smart Psy. suggested we try an SRI.  It was fantastic.  My horrible panic attacks, a daily occurrence, stopped instantly and since I started taking 30mg of Paxil in 1994 I  have not experienced a panic/anxiety attack.  I  have taken the drug continuously since 1994 with zero side effects.  If anyone has any questions I'll be happy to try and help. 

Hugh Campbell

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've been on Paxil since 2001. I started out on 20mg for several years, then bumped up to 30mg for a couple of years. I then reduced it to 20mg for a few years. In August 2016 I had a recurrence. My doctor upped my dosage to 30mg then to 40mg. At 40mg I feel drugged, unreal and unsteady on my feet. My GP lowered it to 30mg and in 2days I stated to feel anxious. My question is, after so long on Paxil for panic disorder, have you never experienced drug resistance/tolerance?

• Posted

Hi Jay,

I have seen many post on the internet about paxil drug restance after a long period of use. Many of them say they have switched to other medications. Maybe that is what you need to do. Another option might be to go up to just 35mg and see how that does. I wish you the best of luck withyour siuation and i hope you find something that works for you.

• Posted

Hi,  I have been on paxil for 16 years 30mg. recently my panic and anxiety has returned full force. My doctor has had me increase my paxil from 30 to 40 mgs.I just started it  five days ago and  I am feeling incresed anxiety and brain fog.  my question durning your use of paxil have you increased it. Thank you.
  • Posted

Hi,  I have been on paxil for 16 years 30mg. recently my panic and anxiety has returned full force. My doctor has had me increase my paxil from 30 to 40 mgs.I just started it  five days ago and  I am feeling incresed anxiety and brain fog.  my question durning your use of paxil have you increased it. Thank you.
  • Posted

Me again ...

If you increased your paxil did you have side effects?

• Posted

Hi I've been on Paxil for 18 years after suffering with anxiety Panic attacks and OCD. I started at 30mg it worked great. Then about 7 years ago I felt very uneasy and a lot of old feelings coming back. I went to dr he said to try 40mg. The increase didn't help so they increased. Me to 60 mg which is the max dose that did the trick and on that for about 6 years. No side effects it makes me do things that I would never do. I am 54 year old female and I don't wish to get off this med and go back to that horrible way to feel. I'm just concerned if it's ok to take rest of my life. And this is the maximum dose so it makes me a little uneasy . People say that's a lot you should try to cut down. But I don't want to actually. But I want to live a long happy life wondering if I can take this for another 30 years!?

• Posted

Hi donna ,

I hope you got my reply to thank you for your reply to my question. I am  glad to know paxil is still working for you it helps me with my fear that it may not help me to increase it.

• Posted

Hi,

Yes I did get ur reply and I thank you very much. You made me feel better that u said ur dr told you it does not harm your brain. What scares me is going off of Paxil and being the way I was. It was heart wrenching time for me and I do not wish that on anyone. I just want to feel normal and live a happy comfortable life but I also want to enjoy my grandchildren and my next phase of life. I want my brain normal somewhat! lol I am afraid of Alzheimer's. I usually try to live by one day at a time and I try not to think to much ahead but it's hard not to sometimes. I hope you are feeling well. Paxil worked for me and helped me live again! Love, Donna

• Posted

Hi donna,

I know the feeling. allI want is to feel normal again I just hope that the invrease to 40  for me will take me there. I am also afraid of going off paxil too, so I feel  stuck. only time will tell.  wishing you  a long and happy life.

• Posted

You too! I'm sure that 40 mg will take u there! Good luck to you as well. Keep me posted and let me know how u feel.

• Posted

Hey Hugh I too suffered all my life with panic attacks and the scary rethinking over and over . It was sad and horrible life until I found Paxil I started on 30 mg Paxil 18 years ago and do things that I wouldn't do and I feel great. But 7 years ago I felt old tricks and anxiety coming back so dr Reyes to increase me 40mg and it didn't respond so they put me in 60mg which did the trick. It is the maximum daily dose so I am concerned. I plan on staying in this forever I am 54 years old and i shutter at the thought of not having it but I wonder is it ok to take for another 30 years? Did u find any info on how it affects our brain on the inside? I'm afraid of my brain becoming marshmallow. I'm 54 years old . I would appreciate any feedback

• Posted

Hi donna,

Thank you for the reply. I asked my DR. about paxil affecting the brain or can it cause brain damage and she said no,  that the benefits of having quality of life outweighed any actual long term side effects.  So I think you are safe and if that amount works for you that is a good thing. Don't listen to people who are not living your life.

I am still waiting to see how taking 40 will affect me I have only been on it for two weeks.  Nice to see your post.

• Posted

Hi Hugh,

Thanks for your reply. I am glad to see other people commenting that have uased paxil long term. Have you everincreased your dosage during your timeon it?

• Posted

Thank you for your post Hugh. I had one question, you mentioned no side effects, did you have any when you started it? If so, how long did it take to start to feel better?or notice a change?

I'm pretty miserable right now, 8 months of fear and anxiety. Has almost ruined my life, keeps me from doing anything I used to do. So hard on my little family to watch Daddy like this.

Trying to build up courage to try Paxil

Warm Regards

J

• Posted

Hi Jeremy,

I am not hugh, but I saw your post and  I just wanted to tell you that you don't have to  take paxil. Your doctor can prescribe any number of antidepressants. I started paxil many years ago at a very small dose and I had no side effects in about 4 weeks I began to feel like myself again.  What ever anitdepressant you and your doctor decide on be sure to start on the lowest dose. 

It  is scary when you already have anxiety you do not want to feel worse I understand.

Give  something a try and see how it goes. I know  you will feel better soon.

• Posted

I just wanted to add that I am currently going up from 30mgs of paxil to 40 and I am waiting to see if it works after 16 years . So that is my big question here will it still work I am still waiting to see.
    • Posted

I just would like to add to my posts to you ,  that you do have courage anyone that struggles with anxiety and depresssion is very couragous  .

I know thAt when you search the internet you find scary negetive things but,  the truth is many people take antidepressants and it changes their lives for the good. And I know it will for you as well.

Just take it one day at a time .

• Posted

Thank you for your replies and support amitie37620 it really does help to give me hope for the this medication and the future💪 I have an appointment next week and will probably try this again

• Posted

Hi Jeremy,

I was just wondering how your doctor.s apointment went  and how you are doing?

• Posted

Visit went well. I'm on day five of 5mg of Paroxetine (Paxil). Going well no real noticeable side effects, some dullness and slight headache, but not bad. Moving to 10mg soon I think maybe tonight or tomorrow night. Thanks for following up Amitie

• Posted

That sounds very positive jeremy. I am so glad to know your side effects are small. keep up the good work. You will be feeling better soonbiggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.