My experience with the copper coil

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey guys, i decided to write this to help other women (young ladies) who are thinking of getting the copper coil inserted. When i was looking into getting it myself i couldn't find much helpful information about it and it made the whole experience a lot more daunting. I was really freaked out about it because i'm very squeamish when it comes to needles/pain/most procedures so i was nervous to go through with it, and at some points during the couple of weeks before my appointment i nearly cancelled it because i couldn't bear thinking about the experience. I am only 19 and havent had any children or any smear tests even or anything down in that area, except for intercourse and most articles i read people recommended not to get it if you haven't gone through these things. But i felt it was my last resort because i had tried different pills and the ring and nothing with hormones worked for me they just made me extremely emotionally unstable so i thought i should try this out. 

I booked my first appointment in the well woman's clinic and i had  a nice doctor who reassured me that many girls my age nowadays were getting it done and that she did it nearly everyday so that put me at ease because i knew atleast she would be relaxed, which made one of us! So, obviously, you wait until you are on your period to get it inserted so I got mine inserted on one of the last days of my period and my flow wasn't extremely heavy but was fine. They give you a prescription for a tablet you insert to open up your cervix and painkillers to take a couple of hours before hand. I was very shaky going over with my mam to get it done and i just had to tell myself that it would only be about 10 minutes of being unpleasant and then it would be all over. So we arrived at the surgery and I had to do a urine test just to make sure I wasn't pregnant, and that was fine. Then, the doctor took me into her and briefly explained what the procedure would involve so I sat up on the bed and removed the bottom layers of my clothes. At this point, the nurse came in to let me squeeze her hand and she was telling me exactly what was going on as the doctor was busy concentrating. I found it hard to relax, i was quite tense at the beginning but then as the nurse chatted to me I calmed down a bit more. First, the doctor inserts a speculum which holds open your vagina and is quite cold and slightly uncomfortable but nothing painful. She then reassured me that the pill had worked to open my cervix which was great because sometimes they don't work and it is very difficult to proceed with the insertion when your cervix aren't open enough. Then, she did a smear test to check for any infections which came out clear, that was a little pinch but nothing too unbearable. Next the doctor got the IUD ready which goes inside a kind of tube thing and is inserted right into your cervix, this was the only painful part and it only lasted for about 3 or 4 seconds and was over (was kind of like a pain like when you get a piercing) so i was relieved it was all over, i took some pain killers and headed home. 

-however although i thought the worst was over, i didn't realise how painful the aftermath was going to be! i got home that afternoon and was in an awful lot of pain, obviously my body was in shock but i was bed bound then, couldn't move much i just had to curl up with a hot water bottle and dose up on painkillers. The pain continued into the next day, although i was taking ponstan which were extremely strong, they didn't seem to work. So my mam went into the chemist the next day to see if there was anything else i could take and they said that unfortunately ponstan doesn't work for everyone so thats why i was still in pain, from then i changed to nurofen and they worked better. the pains got better and had faded nearly completely after a week. but the first couple of days were the worst, they wouldn't have been so bad though if the pain killers prescribed to me had of worked. 

Anyway, since then i have had two periods, which are as well more painful than before. But i just take ponstan and then feminax every four hours for a couple of days to keep the pain at bay and it's not so bad. My flow is a lot heavier, I loose an awful lot more blood, but i was told that the periods would be the downside after getting it inserted. Also, the cramping usually lasts for about a week before my period and then goes. So the other couple of weeks of the month are care-free i dont even notice it being there. It has changed things for me and my partner too, having suffered for nearly two years because of pills and other hormonal contraceptives and other contraceptives in general, it's a huge weight off our shoulders. So fingers crossed it will work out for me from here on out, because if all goes well i could have it in for 10 years without having to worry about getting pregnant! 

I hope this helped, although i know everyone's experiences will be different, i wanted to give a genuine brief of my own experience, and that it's not all bad as many of the articles i read before getting mine had me terrified!! I would recommend it smile 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

This was really helpful, ive been debating on wether to get the copper coil forever just cant decide and its the pain and heavy period thing that is putting me off. Ive heard that if you are already a tad heavy then it can be quite bad sad 

• Posted

yeah, thats the only downside to it! And the heaviness is quite annoying, i'm quite a small person so it does take it out of me. but once i have the balance of painkillers and plenty of pads its dealable! it's better having physical pains then mental pains from hormone based birth controls! 
  • Posted

Thanks, this post helped me. I had the coil fitted at 16 and I couldn't bear the pain after it was fitted and didn't even give it 24 hours! I am bad on hormones so I will definately try the coil again at some point in the future smile
    • Posted

Iv had the mirena coil in for 17 months now I hardly ever have a proper period litterally it's a few spots every month or so but for the first 10 months or so it caused some really bad stomach cramps it was terrible get the odd twinge now and then still but no where near as bad as it was I the first 10 months glad I stuck with it now though as I'm near enough carefree 
  • Posted

Hey guys! I got the copper coil too and was worried about how my experience would be. It took a little while for it to settle in - but I'm so glad I stuck with it!!! I picked up on a little tip and thought I'd share it with you guys as it has been the best thing EVER! If you take vitamin E just before and during your period, it reduces bleeding, length and pain. My periods are only a little heavier than they used to be but with pretty much NO pain!! ITS AMAZING!! I take 400iu just a few days up to my period and during. Try it! :D
  • Posted

I thought I would post something on my experience with the copper coil! I had to get it fitted as an emergency contraception, I took the morning after pill but wanted to be sure as there is no way I could deal with pregnancy right now. 

I didn't really look much into the IUD Copper and there did not seem many options to avoid pregnancy. The doctor scared me into getting it and I truly felt like I had no other option. 

I was dreading the insertion process, the very thought of it made me feel sick. To be honest, the insertion was not bad at all. It was over quite quickly. It was quite a strange experience and I laughed all the way through it to make it easier to deal with. However, as soon as it was properly inserted I started having mild cramps similar to period cramps and then I felt completely sick. I still felt I had done the right thing in preventing pregnancy but I felt like I could collapse.

I got home and I couldn't move. I immediaetly had to lie down and it hurt badly. It felt very strange knowing I had this thing inside me. Nonetheless, I got on with my day but was scared to do normal things like sit down upright or go to the toilet. Everything felt very alien and uncomfortable. 

On the first day of it, I had quite light bleeding. I normally have very heavy periods so this was nothing. I took alot of ibuprofen and paracetamol and that eased any discomfort.

On day 2, I felt fine. Again, I had very light bleeding, but barely any cramps. I thought I was absolutely fine and good to go with my boyfriend so decided to have sex as this contraception was immediately effective anyway. The sex was fine, slightly uncomfortable and in the end not very enjoyable. I got very paranoid that if I moved a certain way I would be in pain. Then the worst thing happened during sex and the pain was probably the worst thing I have ever felt. I usually have bad period cramps but this was something I had never experienced. I had to immediately stop and my boyfriend was very concerned. I couldn't sit up right, I was scared to walk or sit down again. It was agonising. 

This is day 3 now and I want to get rid of this copper coil immediately. I have to wait until my next period to ensure that I am not pregnant. I'd prefer any contraceptive to this as I know it's going to majorly disrupt my sex life and I feel scarred for life after the pain I felt. It is something I wish never to go through again. I don't even imagine I will be able to have sex for a long time out of fear. 

This morning I had quite heavy bleeding, stomach cramps, back pain, lower abdominal pain etc. I feel constantly sick, tired and generally unwell. I can't believe I have to wait 3 weeks to get this thing removed.

While it has an upside (no hormones, no weight gain), it makes me feel extremely unwell and I'd rather the disadvantages of any other contraceptive than this!!!

All I would say is avoid unprotected sex at all costs so that you never, ever have to get this horrible thing. 

• Posted

Hi

I know this post is an old one, but I had my coil fitted today and was warned not to have sex for around a week. The reason being that during insertion you put your cervix through a lot which makes it extra sensitive.

Your pain sounds very much like your partner has made contact with your cervix which hurts lots even without the added issue of your new coil ! Think about how it feels when someone presses hard on a bruise, I think it's a similar (but more intense) thing.

• Posted

I have just had my copper coil removed after 2 years because of painful long periods but I am instantly regretting it. My partner and I have to use condoms or worry if I'll be pregnant. Not worth the worry! I can't take hormones. Looks like it'll be back on the coil for me!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.