My experiences of stopping taking Lansoprazole

Posted , 85 users are following.

Hi,

Like everybody on here I take Lansoprazole for stomach problems.

There are lots of experiences on here of the side effects people get when taking them but;

What effects do people get when stopping taking it?

I think it would be very interesting to find out as I cannot find anything on the internet listing any effects the people have when stopping it and how long they last?

If you have any experience positive and negative could you reply here!

It may be useful to everyone.

7 likes, 129 replies

129 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have been taking Lanzoprazole on and off for around 2 years. Usually a 2 or 3 month course of 30mg. then I stop taking them until I need to again.

In the past, after I have stopped taking them, it usually took a month or two for the symptoms to come back. However, last time I really put my mind to taking the doctors advice on diet and found that it was just over 3 months before I needed to take them again and even then I only started taking them then because I didn't want it to get really bad.

Things that I did that helped include cutting out red meat, no fried food, no alcohol in an shape or form, no processed food (only cooked from scratch so I know what is in it), no vinegar, no black pepper or chillies (spicy food), some breads and cheeses, and no eating for 2 hours before bed time (sometimes longer) and no liquids either.

another really important thing to get to know is when you are full to stop eating. Eating too much doesn't help either.

Good luck, it is really difficult to keep up and you will find that most sandwich shops, restaurants etc don't sell food that you can actually eat without problems.

• Posted

Thanks.

I stopped them the other day, I am not getting heartburn but getting a feeling like something is stuck in my throat. It's keeping me awake at night.

• Posted

You need to take some gaviscone then which is safe and effective if not your symptoms will come back
    • Posted

that will go in time trust me dont eat after 18.00

• Posted

I am trying to get a good list of experiences everybody has when they stop taking Lansoprazole.

The majority on here must have stopped and started again?

Post what you felt, let others know!!!

We are all on this medication and each experience can help others understand what they are going through!!

• Posted

I have just stopped and will update frequently.
  • Posted

I have been on Lans since November 2008, I was given a 2 months supply.

When that supply run out at the end of January I started to get the feeling my throat was blocked.

No heatburn at first just the block throat feeling, however after 10 days the heatburn returned.

Its the throat symptoms that are worse than the heartburn, eating an apple I thought I would never be able to swallow.

Back on another 2 months course of Lans, see how it goes (15mg 1 x daily)

Must add the Lans does solve the problems of block throat and hearburn, also very little in the way of side effects, little bit of dizziness here and there and maybe a couple of headaches from time to time.

But not sure if it is the lans as my job means I spent 6 hours a day in front of a computer screen so headaches are common.

• Posted

Hi there. I know u put this post on over a year ago but just wanted to ask as ur post seems very similar to how I'm feeling 🙀 I've been on/off with PPIs for about 12-18 mths symptoms varying. However of late I've been getting quite often a sore throat, occasional tickly cough and that blocked throat feeling! It's awful sad I worry then and don't know whether I make it worse bring anxious. Been taking lansopramole for just a week now but worried because symptoms aren't easing that the damage won't be repairable? I'm I not being patient enough? 🤔
  • Posted

Have you actually tried stopping yet because I want to try soon but I am worried about the adverse effects. I want to stop because I am also worried that this drug may be bad for the body eg weakens bones, What else?

• Posted

i stopped taking lansoprazole about 3 weeks ago, i was only on them about a month, i have had watery diahorrea ever since and am now feeling nausious

• Posted

Hi 

Are u better now? How long did it take? The stomach cramps feel like Mini Labor pains.

• Posted

Hi Mike, how long did the nausea take for you?

• Posted

hello, sorry to bother you.. I know this post is very old. I have stopped lanzoprazole 30mg last Wednesday and feel so so tired, I'm struggling to keep my eyes open. I have a constant headache and nausea too. I was wondering if you could advice to me to how long your symptoms lasted. Thank you

• Posted

hi i have never been able to stop taking the dreadful drug my body is addicted i suppose because when i try i get the most horrendous symptoms ( nausea heartburn etc) i take a very small dose of 5 mg a day so i suppose its not too bad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.