My father,71 years old diagnosed with Atrial Flutter after a brain stroke

Posted , 4 users are following.

My father has been diagnosed with Atrial flutter. We found this very recently after he had a brain stroke. He is now recovering from it. His movement and activities are almost back to normal. The concern I face is that it has happened about 10 days back. The cardiologists want to start him on anti-cogulants but the neurolgist is saying to wait for 2-4 weeks. I am afraid that if he is at risk to another stroke if he does not start anti cogulant soon. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

He has been put on Bisoprolol 2.5 mg 1/2 tab by the cardiologist
  • Posted

Tricky one-sounds like he may have had a hemorrhagic stroke. So blood thinners to combat any clots thrown up by the heart may be risky-as it may cause another bleed in the brain.

Yes-a great deal of strokes are caused by static atria problems.  But just because he has Atrial flutter and has had a stroke, doesn't necessarily mean it was cused by a clot.  Atrial flutter.fibrillation and brain bleeds are not mutually exclusive.

• Posted

You are absolutely correct. Fluttering could come from something as simple as lacking nutrients in one's diet.
    • Posted

Well, we have had a CT scan done yesterday and the size of infarct has decreased and no longer poses as a threat by hameorage. He has been after consulting Cardiologist and neurologist been put on Anticoagulant Apixaban. While I got details on the site aboubt the drug. Wanted to know from someone using it. I believe there is no antidote to it unlike the drugs like Rivaroxaban, Dabigratran. Thank you both for

your response.

• Posted

I am glad your father is doing ok. Just remember these supplements are still good for maintenance even if you didn't have a medical incident.

My best to you and your dad!

• Posted

The neurosurgeon has given an okay to start anticoagulant as the size of infarct has reduced and no sign of hameorage. The drug he is being put on is apaxabin. Can someone on it give me some insight into the drug.
    • Posted

There is quite a bit of information on this forum topic regarding Apixaban..

But its also a must doing a google search regarding the safety & side effects of this drug.

all the best

• Posted

Just day before yesterday my father felt a bit weak and his bp dropped pulse rate was also low. On docs advise he had salt water and after sometime was fine. To cut the long story short. After visiting the cardiologist the next day..his ECG was done and the flutter has gone. The doctor said he had suspected that he might have gone from AF to AFib when his BP had dropped. He was mentally prepared to do cardioversion but found that the flutter had gone. The doctor said no need for cardioversion or ablation now.My question is what precautions can he take to ensure it does not come back? Also is it normal to feel fatigued or get low BP? The doctor stopped Bisoprolol.
  • Posted

Hi! Its been a while that I have written on the forum but hasn't stopped me from reading the new posts. Eventually in mid March Dad had gone for the EP study and was to undergo a possible cardioversion but when the cardiologist had inserted the electrodes the atrial flutter had became normal and that procedure ended with no cardioversion. He did test his pacemaker function. He already has an athelete's heartbeat which is a low heartbeat. Basically, to cut the long story short he is only on Apixaban ( Eliquis), Attoras, Ecosprin.. no bisoprolol or cholestrol medicines. On his last visit to the cardiologist 10 days back the flutter was shown in the ECG. Dad had not felt anything or realized it too be any different. As per the cardiologist the only concern is another stroke and that is taken care by Eliquis. So my question is that  this condition will remain always? he will probaly come in and out of flutter on his own? What can one do to avoid these episodes? Supplements? Do strokes happen even though someone is on Eliquis? 
    • Posted

Strokes are caused by the interruption of blood to a part of the brain. This can be casued by a clot OR a bleed. So yes-strokes can still happen on this drug. Possibly, a bleed is more likely. But dont worry about that-its a tiny risk!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.