My fiance has completely ruptured his tendorn in his ackillies

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi my fiance has completely ruptured his tendorn in his ackillies. it happend on monday night 29/06/2015 took him to minor injuries the next day, they put a half cast on it with his toes pointing downwards and he has an appoinment to see orthopedic surdgeon on tuesday 7th july. he is 51, non smoker and very active. should i push for an ultrasound if they dont offer one? anyone know? thank you..

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mel

sorry to hear that

if you can i would get ultrasound done as they can't tell the full extent of the gap just by feel

if I was going through it all again first time round( believe me I've done it twice now ) i would even pay to have scan so I could decide what rought to go down ie surgery or not 

• Posted

thank you for that. its so sad to see him like it and its hard for us both as we had such great plans to do activities in the summer. i will keep you informed. thank you.
  • Posted

Hi Mel.Most definately yes if they don`t offer one.

Please read " Avoidable DVT Death of my Husband "

Just go to d for dvt on the alphabet choice.

Full cast, no safeguards, no information about DVT.

Info on dvt on this website. If the hospital haven`t informed you then you really need to be aware as a precaution.

My husband was 59, non smoker and very active too.

He didn`t survive his achilles rupture thanks to the negligence of the hospital.

Your fiance should have been risk assessed and full warnings given, but this is not always done.

Please let me know how things go.

• Posted

Hi There

I have read your story and its heartbreaking. i wil push all the way to get information needed, i dont care what it takes. i hate seeing him like this. i will keep you informed. Take care.

• Posted

They will probably send him for ultrasound or maybe an MRI which I had, orthopods like tosee the extent of the damage before operating, if it is a full rupture most will go for the surgical route (depends on the Trust & surgeon) but I would recommend you push for a scan if one is not offered, I had surgery nearly 11 weeks ago and everthing is coming along nicely I can now walk without support  and no pain 6 weeks 4 casts due to small infection and now rarely used Airboot, I am 67 this year so age shouln't be a problem.
  • Posted

I forgot to mention, due to a previous DVT several years ago they put me on daily Heparin injections as a precaution, not very nice to have to have to inject yourself in the belly everyday but it is almost painless and if it stops a blod clot then its well worth it, if not you can take soluble aspirin every day as long as you have no history of stomach problems but speak to you GP first and take their advice.
  • Posted

My tendon popped last spetember, 10 months ago. Its fine now, but I've still got calf muscle weakness which dooesn't seem to be getting better very quickly.. 65, and plans for lots of walking. I didnt have an MRI or ultrasound, just a manual diagnosis from the consultant. 4 weeks toe down, no weight and if it doesnt get better maybe operate. But it did (I had self injecting anti coags for the month) and a further 5 weeks of reducing the fott angle and strengthening exercises. Physio and podiatry and the tendon is niceley re-attached and doing its stuff, but the calf muscle is still very weak. I did 6 miles of footpath walking yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it but I'm afraid it can be a long tedious path. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.