My globus story so far 4 weeks in.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Bit of background first:

I've not really had much in the way of anxiety for a long time now. I had issues when I was younger due to canabis use with paranoia and depression but for the past 3-4 years I've been mentally ok and pretty relaxed with most things.

It all started 4 weeks ago Thursday night on my way home from work I took a painkiller for a headache. Took these pain meds many times without issue but this time it felt like it wouldn't go down like it was stuck in my throat had plenty to drink and assumed it must have gone down. Anyway I thought nothing else of it until the Friday morning I woke up into an instant panic attack it felt like my throat was closing, like I was being strangled, it got worse and so did my panic attack. An hour later convinced I would no longer be able to breathe soon I got a lift to A+E. The nurse looked me over and took my vitals looked in my throat and said it was a panic attack I'll be fine and to go get some rest.

Fast forward 3 days and I've been fighting with anxiety the whole time in a constant state of on the edge of complete panic. I go to the doctors who tells me it's anxiety and this is globus I accept it and try get on with life.

4 weeks later I still have a constant feeling that my throat is swelling up its with me 24 hours every single day. When I'm engrossed in a task I can forget about it for a while but it will instantly come back to mind when I'm out of the meditative state of the task I'm doing. I have days when it's not much bother and in fact I remember one day about a week ago I thought I was fully fixed, unfortunately the next day it returned.

So far I've woke up in the middle of the night 6 times into full blown panic attack.

At this stage I feel like it will never go away and I'm going to have to fight off this anxiety forever.

Although I am slowly convincing myself it's not going to kill me it's still there regardless all the time.

Within the last 4 weeks I've also had other health anxiety. For a whole day I was absolutely convinced I was having a stroke (I'm a 25 year old so it's highly unlikely) then the following day I was getting shooting arm pains and was convinced a heart attack was imminent. But other than those two days it's been this throat closing thing that I just can't shake. I've never had any health anxiety previous to this.

Im more annoyed at myself than anything, if it is indeed a mental issue why am I not strong enough to tell my mind that nothing is wrong with me. Why do I feel constant anxiety, I've lived in constant fear for a month now I've turned into a nervous wreck, small noises will make me jump and make my heart race. I feel like I'm falling apart and losing my damn mind.

I used to have a if I go I go way of thinking about dying that usually kept me happy enough and to be honest I'm not even that afraid of "going" but I'm terrified of suffering. I've felt the absolute pure terror of thinking I'm moments away from suffocating to death and it's the worst thing I've felt in my entire life.

I've seen people talk of throat/neck excercises that I'm going to try out.

Hopefully I can slowly convince my head that I'm fine.

On a positive note in efforts to keep my mind occupied I've fully deep cleaned my house 5 times in the past month, my car is spotless and I've organised the freezer shelves into food type order... So there's that. Haha

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Adam, it seems as though alot of us here have anxiety and this feeling in our thoats does not go away and that is making it worse.  I feel like I am going to die sometimes, and it scares me.  Its reading online that makes it worse, oh cancer of the throat and all that stuff.  I panic myself probably more than its worth.  I dont want to die, I have an 8 year old son, who loves me and I love more than my own life.  And that scares me all the time.  So I get so nervous thinking about that, I think it makes it come back worse than before.  Still have the feeling and its funny, we were at the airport all morning, (flight delayed) hyper kid and it didn't bother me at all.  Nothing, even eating with him, and not having to run to the bathroom!  Nothing.  Not until I got in the jet bridge to get on the plane and he upset me, broke the handle on the suit case and I was arguing with him and it came back.  Sharp pains in my upper stomach or maybe its my heart, I have no idea and now its back!  Oh I have no idea.  I did read a blog on here and the person said to take raw, 100% raw honey I tablespoon at bedtime and I have done that 2 nights in a row and it worked.  Not store bought honey, although mine is pure unrefined honey, he said get it straight from a bee person.  Which i intend to do soon after we land or get to where we are going.  Try that at night time.  Only works at night time though.  See if it works at least a little for you for a bit of a sleep.  Although, I never sleep anymore, and haven't for years it seems.  Never a real sleep unless I take a strong pain killer with my regular meds, then for alittle while I will.  Otherwise I lay there all night.  sad  Ok, now I hope that I didn't make you feel worse, but know that there are people here that are cool and actually listen and reply!  I know I will.  I hope you try the honey 

• Posted

HI Adam, I feel your pain I really do.  Although I am not a doctor or therapist, I do want you to look and read how many times you talk about and mention axiety and panic.  Even though you have had a few years without issue, it is obvious to me your axiety is back and it is manifesting within your throat causing what we all here are experiencing on this thread as Globus Sensation.  I personally think you might need to take a prescribed anti anxiety medication that might relieve some of your panic and fears of panic.  Even if it doesnt make you GS go away it might help deal with it.  I have had my GS for 8 months, so beleive me I know how you feel and we have to be strong minded to over come this on a daily basis.  It amazes me how common this is but no one knows about it or speaks about it.  My ENT doctor told me he saw 10 people in 1 week experiencing this.  Where are all these people? I want to know what all of these people are doing and finding out.  It is beyond frustrating as we have no idea how long this is going to last.  My ENT assured me it was going to go away at some point.  Well that was 4 months ago.. Im still waiting, hoping and praying.. Its all I can do. It is all any of us can do.. I hope you figure something out for yourself soon.. We are meant to be happy, so we have to do whatever we need to do find be happy.

smile Keep smiling

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.