My heart keeps skipping beats?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone,

Recently I have noticed my heart skipping beats. It then thuds and then speeds up, I then experience shortness of breath. Now, this has only happened 2/3 times this week. I am 20-years-old, relatively healthy, I don't smoke and I drink very little.

But what concerns me is my family's history -

My Father died of a heart attack at 54

His Father died at 43 (pretty sure)

My fathers Uncle and Aunt also died of heart attacks, and some other relatives too. Now as I am female it is my understanding that I have reduced risk. Also perhaps another mitigating factor is that this is all my Fathers side. On my Mothers side everyone is very healthy, no hereditary conditions that I can recall. The average life expectancy is around 90 years-old.

I am a bit worried there is something wrong with my heart. I am aware that my Dads daughter (diff marriage) was born with a heart problem. Would anyone be able to advise me where I can go from here?

I understand that this forum is not a diagnostic tool, neither do I expect people here to provide me with medical advice.

Many thanks I advance.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Jess,

I may be suffering with something similar to you. What is your current heart rate? My heart rate is about 40 when it should be 60 and I'm 20 years of age.

I have booked an appointment with a cardiologist which you may need to do.

Good luck smile

Emma

• Posted

The thud makes it sound like you are suffering from ectopic beats.
  • Posted

I was about your age when I began having the same symptoms. I was eventually diagnosed with SVT ( Supra Ventricular Tachycardia ). I would go to a Cardiologist and explain your symptoms and bring any test results you have already had. You should request a monitor to be worn for 7 to 10 days, basically it is a 24 hour ECG machine that monitors your heart and gives the doctor a better idea of what if anything is going on with your heart. Just having an ECG done for a few seconds at the hospital doesn't always catch the missed beats or racing heartbeats. If you are diagnosed with a form of Tachycardia don't worry there is a permanent cure for it now. I have had the surgery it is done by placing a catheter through the groin and is painless leaving no scars. I have lived a normal life since the surgery. I am now in my forties and have a perfectly normal adult son with no cardiac issues. Also, my family history is much like yours with a high risk of heart attacks at early ages. So, stop worrying so much and get this simple monitor done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.