my Hernia symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

[color=darkblue:2fd93fea3c][/color:2fd93fea3c] I have had a hernia for many years, but had been able to manage it quite well. I discovered I had it when it felt as though my back had gone \"out\" and I couldn't move. My doctor diagnosed the problem when the chiropractor was unable to fix it, by pulling down on my chest. For many years I had no difficulties, except when I did sit-ups, to strengthen my abdominals and back muscles.

More recently, it's become clear that no amount of adjusting will keep it in place. I am regularly hoarse, waking up that way and going on all day, I have trouble breathing when I exert myself or bend over, sometimes I have a pain behind my breastbone and a couple of times, such pain that I thought I was having a heart attack. No real difficulty with reflux, but often trouble with swallowing capsules, pills and some foods, which feel as though stuck in the back of my throat. In addition, I have gained some weight around my waist and find that many of my clothes won't fit - very aggravating!

I've seen a surgeon, since I'm clear this won't improve with any medication, and it's the sewing up of the diaphragm that I now require. I hope to have the endoscopy soon.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I just wondered if you have had the sugery and if so how did it go?

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you for listing those symptoms. It is reassuring to know that someone else thought they were having a heart attack. I've had an endoscopy although little unpleasant it was no big deal but all very clinical. I've been told to try to avoid surgery and to alter my diet. I'd be very interested to know how yu get on. Best wishes.

• Posted

I was diagnosed with a small hiatus hernia about 17 years ago. In addition I was diagnosed with gallstones at the same time as I had breast cancer diagnosis Mar 2004. I thought I felt sick all of the time because of the gallstones and prior to the op to remove my gall bladder I had a couple of real bad episodes with pain and sickness, one which resulted in me being taking by ambulance into hospital. Nothing was done, no tests were run, they just assumed it was the gall stones needing to come out. I had managed my hernia quite well up until 4 weeks ago. On holiday, had been out for the day, and I suddenly felt the cramp feeling in my chest, within minutes I was in agony and swear to god thought I was having a heart attack. I couldn't lay down, it was unbearable. I started to burp A LOT and the pain subsided and after an hour it was as though nothing had happened. Since then I have felt like something is stuck in my chest, I have a hoarse voice and feel a struggle to breathe! I have long had palpitations but put those down to early menopause after chemo treatment! When I kneel down I feel as though my chest is going to burst! My GP has suggested I take omeprazole daily for a month to see if things settle down, but I never suffered with reflux so i'm not convinced it's going to make any difference.
  • Posted

I have suffered with all of these symptoms now for over 18 months. At times convinced myself I was a hypochondriac. Hoarse voice, palpitations, feeling of having something stuck in my throat, often difficult to swallow medication and certain foods ,difficulty breathing in and pain behind the sternum. Overall I have found the whole experience fairly distressing. As someone who never ails anything to suddenly have all of these symptoms and recurring visits to my GP. After 18 months I had a barium swallow 2 weeks ago and they discovered the hiatus hernia. The consultant offered me surgery or a trial of an 8 week dose of Lansoprazole 30mg, I have opted for the drugs for now. I have been told that HH are most common in over 50's and overweight people, I am 33 and not overweight so not sure how I have developed it.

My GP suggests that the British Medical Journal has a 93% success rate treating with Lansoprazole verses the 90 % operation stats.

If anyone has had the operation I would like to know if their symptoms have disappeared etc.

:D

• Posted

hi, i was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia 2 weeks ago after nearly 18 months of extremely painful heartburn, sweating like i couldnt believe, headaches i also thought i was being very melodramatic plus other not very nice symptoms.it was a bad shock as i am only 28

i thought at worst i would just have to take antacids for the duration.

i had my endoscopy and since this it feels like my right rib cage is going to burst.

does anyone have this problem too? i have had a throat, chest and ear infection since the endoscopy, i have also been suffering so much more with my asthma especially at night.

i would like your input on this as i just feel like i am going out my mind with problems since my diagnosis.

thank you all for reading my moans lol

x heather x

• Posted

Hi Heather

I too have noticed a change in my asthma but not sure why? After a few weeks of giving the medication a try I have opted for surgery, so will keep you posted of how it has gone. The pain I have is my left ribcage, which the doctors tell me is where my remaining stomach wall has adhered to my ribs over time, thats why ive opted for surgery.....just hoping i get some relief from it once it has been done :D

• Posted

Hi, I was Diagnosed in march with a small sliding hiatus hernia after having very bad heart burn for a few months, i had an endoscopie and they found this!! since then i have suffered with chest pain and a tightness in my throat, and sometimes swallowing feels difficult, im 36 and devistated. are these symptoms normal will it ever get better!! i cant stand it anylonger.
  • Posted

Hi I have had mine for over 18 months now and have had these symptoms all the time, I cannot stand it any longer and thats why Im going for the surgical option hoping it improves dramatically.

:D

• Posted

I HAVE HAD A HIATUS HERNIA FOR TWELVE YEARS AND HAVE CONTROLLED MY SYMPTOMS WITH LANSOPRAZOLE VERY WELL. RECENTLY THOUGH I HAVE HAD SO MUCH LEFT SHOULDER BLADE PAIN AND RIB CAGE PAIN THAT I NOW WONDER IF SURGERY MIGHT BE NECESSARY. ANY SUGGESTIONS AS I REALLY DO NOT WANT TO GO UNDER THE KNIFE.
  • Posted

Been having problems with reflux - doc says it's not a hiatus hernia but very nearly! I too am on Lanny and it does help, but I find eating & drinking the wrong things brings on bad attacks which can lay me up for days. Seems to happen in blocks of weeks, like it's building up. The Hay Diet (food combining) really does help and, once up and running, is fantastic as an eating controller. Unfortunately, it is quite difficult to keep to, depending on one's life-style. I have gone back to this in the last few days and felt better after Day 1. I feel as if I have lost \"bad poison\" from my body and even my joints are 50% less painful (don't know what this connection is but it's great). I've lost the bloatedness and do not have cravings - my digestion is behaving itself wonderfully. Lots of water, but not too much. Get the urine almost clear - that's a good sign. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi people.I am now a year into treatment for my Hiatus hernia which i have probably had for a long time but now after numerous endoscopies(well 3 actually) and barium swallow,and 2 PH studies(one 24 hour) other over 5 days.Saw consultant and i have been proven to have severe acid reflux due to my HH.Am now on the home run to have the Nissens operation,being done in 5 weeks time(hopefully).This will be a blessed relief i am sure.No more sore throats,heartburn,stomach pain(s) and being able to eat what i want and NO MORE Lansoprazole...YIPPEE!!!

Has anybody had their surgery?? If so,would love to know how you are getting on?? Thanks in advance x

• Posted

I HAD SURGERY FOR HIATUS HERNIA LAST JUNE, AND I AM NOT DEALING VERY WELL WITH IT. I NOW HAVE NAUSEA ON A DAILY BASIS, AND AM UNABLE TO EAT PROPERLY. I WOULD NEVER HAVE IT DONE AGAIN. MAYBE I WAS JUST UNLUCKY. MY SURGEON TOLD ME IT WOULD BE ABOUT 9 MONTHS BEFORE I AM BACK TO NORMAL
  • Posted

These are my exact symptoms was this a definite diagnosis for you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.