My husband and COPD, emphysema

Posted , 2 users are following.

They found a cavity on my husbands lung. After ruling out lung cancer, then fungal, they now are 99% sure it is a bacterial infection, microbacterium Aviam. Same bacteria that is in Tuberculosis, but it's not.  He is now on three different antibiotics.  Will need to be on them for a year. The cavity never leaves, so he could het this back.  This usually infects people with HIV, which my husband doesn't have. May be because he now has severe emphysema. Just wondering if any one else has has experience with this. Thank you. Sandy

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sandy:

I don't have quite the same thing. I have had nodules that have been

nothing so far. I have been on daily antibiotics for several years now, to

fight against exacerbations. It is zithromyacin, 250mg a day. My doctor

says it cuts hospital stays down about by about 75%.

I do wish you and your husband all the best.

I know some countries are having a lot of progress with stem cell therapyWe have some clinics here in the states that do it and the patients '

are doing really well, all kind of energy and they can breath. However here in the states they are private and not FDA approved? .So one must be really wealthy to get treated. I want/need to try it so much but

I suppose it won't happen.

• Posted

Thank u Grace. I'm sure my husband won't get to get the tem fee either.  Just have to rely on what we have an of course prayer. Thank you

• Posted

You are welcome. I do wish I could have been of more help.

Grace

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.