My husband was given Cyclizine yesterday.

Posted , 3 users are following.

It was administered intravenously . After less than 10 minutes, he experienced a frightening and vivid brightening of all the veins and capillarities in his arm which then caused the whole arm to blush red.

At the same time, he completely lost his ability to speak. He was unable to call for help or answer any questions when assistance arrived. He was distressed, very anxious and thought he had suffered a stroke.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like it was given by IV and to fast, there isn't enough knowledge out there on the dangers of this drug and the pharmaceutical company's are not interested in making people aware because it is bad for business.

I had a particular case with Amdpharm who swore the drug caused no problems in my case although it left a patient within paralysis for six months, once the MHRA got involved and I got a lot of people together they changed there documentation to something a lot nearer the truth, accepting that this drug could cause these dangerous side effects.

• Posted

Hi I have had cyclizine twice, both times with cardiac side effects. While it did stop my severe dry heaving and vomiting which had been going for over 4 hrs (the 2nd time), I will never have it again. I suffered with SVT, a very dangerous heart rate/rhythm and fell unconcisous. The nurse gave the medication diluted, very slowly and did everything right. The first time, I was given the medication a little too fast and developed a similar but not as severe reaction. The nurse walked away. After calling for a dr, the dr told me I was suffering reactive tachycardia and too wait. I felt like I was having a heart attack. I'm 32, around 40kgs. It is the worst medication I have ever had, it's extremely dangerous but more importantly its absolutely terrifying. I am certain it needs to be banned. I was very scared and it took me weeks to be ok, the scare effected me a lot. Melissa
  • Posted

Most probably price but the answer I got was that it helps alot more than it hurts. It probably could be safe if administered correctly but it seems that a nurse has to cause a bad reaction as part of their learning for next time. And by the time they have to make a written statment, thuy would of been advised what to write and how it should have been administered uning IV over five minutes.
  • Posted

It would be interesting to see if there are any instructions on the bottle now, I was told by Amdipharm that instructions were going to be put on the bottle to prevent this from happening. The problem is the whole buisness is so courpt that they even pay people to go through these forums to reply to people to see what threats there are out there to the money. Sad but true. They are only interested in the money, not the safty. It took goverment to even get the MHRA to investergate and that got as far as an audit and then they dropped it. There are hundreds of cases but only 6 ever reached being reported. It is impossable to get reported as they throw them out every time with the possablility of it being something else and witnesses don't count. The dangers are judged on how many cases are actually logged. Money talks and the drug comapany Amdipharm are very good at making money and making things look safe.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.