My husbands is mad because I'm sick

Posted , 5 users are following.

Well I had no idea this could happen but I think he's mad. Today he asked how I was feeling and I said better then he I think your depressed because your skeeping later in the weekend, I was floored I guess I'm not allowed to sleep in, I sleep til 830-9. I work all week and told him how exhausting it is to be dizzy all the time, he said well if took the topamax the doc wanted you to then you would fine and I said I'm not taking that cuz it's got bad side effects and I am doing the VRT and it's helping, then he said you go to the doc and not do what he says I said I've done everything except the topamax. He has no. Idea what this is like and I've gone to work everyday except for maybe 2-3 days since this started 9 months ago. I feel like crap now and guess I won't be telling him I'm sick again. I'm sure it's because of all the docs I've seen and the money.

I believe I can decide if I want take a med and if I don't feel comfortable taking it then I don't have to. I get it that yes the doc tells you what they think will work but also they don't know if if it will work. I don't like meds because I'm very sensitive to them so I try to do things without meds. Yes I'm a bit down but being bizzy is not fun and it's scarey.

I noticed when I got upset my dizziness hit and the stress shot up. I'm pretty mad about this and guess I'll just keep its to myself whenever i feel bad

I thought I had supports and could trust him but I don't think so anymore

Thanks for letting me vent coz I don't have anyone here I can talk to

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry you are having such a rough go of it and sorry your husband doesn't understand. It took mine quite awhile to understand that I wasn't just being lazy when I would have to sit down between washing and drying he dishes.  He finally gets is now and his whole attitude has changed.  Do not let anyone make you feel like you have to take a medicine you are not comfortable with and find a way to relieve your stress. Focus on yourself because staying positive is crucial to recovery. The most important thing about vertigo (for me at least) was staying as un-stressed as possible.  There are all kinds of forums around, find one that suits you and vent when you need to.  I had extreme vertigo for four months and it was the most exhausting time in my life, which I haven't fully recovered from.
  • Posted

Hi Patty! People don't understand it if they don't have it themselves. I know in my case my close relatives minimzed it with saying things like "Oh, I've been dizzy before, everyone gets dizzy occasionally". No, it's totally different. It's constasnt, and lasts for months or even years. You don't look sick, so people figure you are fine.

And it is exhausting, trying to keep your balance when you feel like you're walking on a trampoline. All you can do is tell him what your doctor says, and show him a website or a video of what your doctor says you have. Maybe then he will understand. (Getting up at 8:30am on a weekend is EARLY for me! ha ha)

We are hear to listen!

• Posted

Nobody understands what this condition is like. The ongoing fatigue and exhaustion from being off balance the whole time, the hope that one day it just won't be there and you can go back to living your life as you once did, all add together into one big stress factor and stress is definitely a trigger for making this condition escalate. If you don't want to take the medication, don't take it. You know how your body deals with medication, not your husband.  Don't discuss it with him, just do what you think is right for you. I've been dealing with this now for nearly 2 years and like you don't take medication for similar reaons to you. 

Good luck with it, I live in hope that one day my life will be back to normal. Yours too, I hope.

• Posted

I am not sure what condition you actually have but any condition which involves dizziness stresses the vestibular system and the exhaustion that results can be debilitating. It is a feeling that is beyond tiredness and unless you have felt it I think people can find it hard to understand.

I used to sit at my desk in the afternoon digging my nails into my hand to stop myself falling asleep! Thanksfully for me my condition can be treated with surgery.

It is about balance (pardon the pun), I am sure if you thought that the side effects of the medication were better than the balance issues you would be taking it. I'm sorry this is not the case for you.

It is about making life style adjustments so having a lie in when you can (even later than 9am if required) and knowing when your body is telling you to sit down.

I have seen people in similar discussions previously suggest that you show your other half the responses you receive. This isn't (unfortunately) just you, there are other people out there in the same boat and sometime seeing that other people have the same issues can reinforce your point.

Good luck and sorry you are suffering.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.