My ibs story.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all.

I'm a new member and thought I'd share my ibs story.

I went through my whole life with no bowel problems ..In 2004 I fell pregnant with my 3rd child and first daughter.

On her due date she passed away for no known reason.

Since then my health has detireiated with various problems ..

In 2005 I fell pregnant again. One day on the loo the pain was immense I thought I was having a miscarriage.

I called an ambulance out . Whilst the paramedic was talking to me on the loo my bowels let go...slightly embarrassing. .The loo filled with diarrhoea and my pain stopped.

The paramedics said there u go just constipation and left.

Then in 2007 I fell pregnant again. This time I was in the cinema with my husband watching a film . The pain struck and I ran to the loo. Scared I was losing the baby I text my husband who came with me into the girls loo and held my hand.

I sweated n panted and breathed like labour until my bowels dropped the diarrhea and I was free from the pain.

I went to the gp who said it was in my head because of my stillbirth. That I was rightfully so anxious. 

So after the birth of my then 5th child I was shocked when it happened again.

The gp kept saying it was due to my stillbirth stress and worry.

In 2009 I woke one day...and fell down my stairs. It hurt like mad but after checking myself over I knew I was ok so I carried on with my day.

Next day I woke at 5 am.  In the simular agony.

I ran to the loo breathed it out as normal. Only this time the loo filled with blood and big lumps of tissue.

I sobbed and waited til my husband woke who rang my mum and drove me to hospital. I was bleeding very bad. I was in hospital for 2 weeks!! During that time they put a camera up my bum...They found my bowels had collapsed. They show me the photo..It was like a tube that suddenly shut. They said they think I had chrones.  

They planned on removing that part of my bowel in surgery.

When the day of surgery came they did they test again.  It was a mirical they said as it was fixed. No collapse. 

So they baffled..just sent me home. I was confused but he said he was a surgeon I needed to see my gp.

So I went home.

I kept on every now and again getting these bouts..but the gp said do you have constipation or diarrhea.  I said we'll both. ..It hurts n hurts n hurts all blocked up until it come out as diarrhea. 

But he couldn't get his head round it.

In 2011 I changed my gp. I saw her and told her of my problems. She said we'll sounds like ibs.

Ever since I've been on buscipan can't be without it . If I eat white bread or pasta I really suffer.

I don't get the bouts ad often anymore as my diet helps and better sleep. It always trigger off my panic attacks so I have to stay in self control.

That's my story 

Claire x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Forgot to mention my life is now all about 'where is the loo'. On family trips etc I always need to know where a toilet is. If the pain is really bad I often ask someone to sit with me. 

My dignity is zero !

• Posted

Hi Claire

Sorry to hear you have been through so much worry and upset sad.  Did the GP or hospital ever find out if it is chrones? 

Louise 

• Posted

I was always under the impression that they are supposed to rule out things like chrones or gluten intolerance before putting it down to IBS. Seems awfully extreme symptoms for that 😕
  • Posted

IBS clinical Trials in the UK and elsewhere in the EU

There are clinical trials for IBS...I received this alert yesterday..so hopefully some of them might be in your area and are not yet filled.

Claudio..

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the direct link as it went to the homepage of the site. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details or google clinicalconnection.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

my previous post was the website to IBS clinical Trials in the UK and the EU. Unfortunately linking the URL gets auto moderated...claudio
  • Posted

Am surprised link went to home page..hate to send anyone to a maze that requires navigation.

Suggest you look up "pseudo-obstruction".. based on your descriptions and timing, it leads me to consider muscle/nerve association.

There is no medication that I'm aware of that treats this condition although this is a highly specialized "motility" area of study..and therefore a med or a combo might be available?

IBS was once called "spastic colon"...meaning it didn't behave in a nice smooth flow moving things from the asceding colon (near the appendix)

across the transverse, and then down to the descending before reaching the sigmoid colon.

Mid wives prevented obstructions post births by lightly massaging the colon from the appendix area in slow but persistent circular motions, gradually going up, then across, and then down...and repeating this for some minutes.

I did this for my wife "post major abdominal" surgery...her skin being hyper sensitive, I used a combo of olive oil, grapeseed oil, vitamin e, and 1 drop of clove oil.

You may have an intolerance to grains...as Louise mentioned.

I think the surgeon who did the colonoscopy initially and saw the highly inflammed tissue, suspected Crohns but when you were re scoped..clear? meaning the insult/damage was due to the trauma of fecal "hold" and then "release" to discharge...a guess...and you healed quite well and quickly.

All of the above is "guess work" and I might add too that I suspect you may have a nerve/muscle issue elsewhere? Not a sure thing...meds...trauma...hormones...can be quite a puzzle to work out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.