My Insomnia Story

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am a 41 years old man that always had a good "relationship" with sleep (except few occations). My first insitend happened 10 years ago when i was working in a company and my supervisor gave me super stress. At night i was tossing and turning sometimes until the morning, other times until the early morning hours and then i would sleept. The next day i was Very cranky. Then i was hire in a more relaxed position and sleep became my buddy again. ( of course i never had sleep shedule). I might go for a visit to a friends house and i felt a bit sleepy i would take a nap. No problem. Sometimes i would sleep for some hours before sleep and then went to sleep again with no problem. 

Then i was laid off from that company and was hired to a new one (after some months). And after 1.5 i was laid off from the second company too. And ended up being unemployed for almost 3 years. (i was sleeping without any problems)

Then one day i had a call from my former employer and i was hired. 

And then this nightmare started. The first day at work i went without sleep at night. Stomach cramps, heard going crazy and thoughts not being able to make them shut up. At the begining the job was very stressfull (along with other things in my life. But these things are dealed with)

This went for a few months struggling. Then i decided to go to a psychologist to help me deal with my night fear of sleeping. At the beginging she tried to help (i manage to somehow ease to some extent the "side effects"wink but the sleepiness continued. Every week almost i had 2 insomnia nights and one of colapsed sleep. And this went for half year almost. (from the begining). Then i begged her to redirect me to a pshychiatrist to give me some medicine. Which it did. I started with light medication. Which for short periot of time it worked and then again no sleep. Now i am taking 2*10mg Stilnox+2*6mg lexotanil. Thank god these night have been reduced to 1 or 2 per week. the others i just sleep normally. 

Now what i want is for me to get ride of these pills because THEY are BAD for your health.

I am still continueing the therapy also for those 1 or 2  days. (because i do have some days that i get to the panic state like before)

Does anyone know any more "Natural" way to fight this problem (i mean not medications)

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi , insomnia is my problem for over 20 years ! Then I know that feeling 

and frustration . Never use any medication for that . For me , it's the last thing I would try . 

I use meditation . Also calming music . I leave on my phone all night long . 

Camomile tea would be beneficial . Just try what ever it's working for you . 

I hope soon you will get a good & long sleep 🌜🌝🌛 Donna 

• Posted

Thanks Donna. 

I Use Camomile, anise and lemon grass tea occationally. I can not use tv or calming music because then i focus on that and i cant sleep. I try to relax. I only use medication for those BAD nights. Usually i sleep easily. Only once or twice i get messed up and i cant sleep and i take medication. My goal is slowly slowly to start reducing them until i stop taking them. But is a process.

• Posted

Hi Marioscy,

It is good that you still continue your therapy. Medication like those you are taking should not be stopped abruptly. It should be tapered or should be stopped gradually.

Since not using of TV and calming music do not work with you, try to have a massage, regular exercise or even simple exercises before you go to bed enough to relax your muscles, deep breathing  exercises before going to bed and even at  work. Also try to engage yourself in any activity that you love to do like painting, singing, dancing, gardening, sports, outreach program and others to relax yourself  but NEVER consider taking alcohol or other related chemicals because these will surely aggravate your condition.

Sheery

• Posted

Thanks Sheery,

The good thing in my case is that my insomnia is gradually reducing, thus what frustrates me is that i am the one causing this. When i get this insomnia i am sabotaging myself into not sleeping. Otherwise i sleep very easily and deep and for hours.

• Posted

Hi Marioscy,

Nice to hear that your insomnia is gradually reducing. Do not sabotage yourself. Sleep is essential to our body funnctioning. It is one of our basic needs so do not take it for granted.

You may also try to check your blood count. Usually person with low red blood cells (RBC) or anemic is also experiencing difficulty in sleeping. In this case you may take an iron supplement. Remember that in taking an iron supplement it is advisable that you take it with vitamin C or a glass of vitamin C rich juice or fresh fruits to facilitate its absorption.

Sheery

• Posted

Dear Sheery.

My insomnia is purely stress related. I create it i just can't control it some times. Other times i sleep like a log

• Posted

Hi Marioscy,

If that is the case, try to have an appointment with a psychologist or psychiatrist. They are the trained health proffesionals that can help you with your problem.

There are many reasons for stress. This can be brought by your life's current condition or past experiences.

During your appointment with psychologist or psychiatrist, try to answer his/her questions truthfully. Do not worry they are professionally bound to keep any information related to you in confidential.

Sheery

• Posted

I already seing one. Try to fix my situation. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.