My meniere story

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello people,

I have been diagnosed with menieres disease 8 to 10 years ago. Mild dizziness, headaches and severe hearing loss from the one ear, etc (but mild ones) . Got used to it. Thank god for medication. Tried to reduce salt (used low sodium instead), reduced my sugar ( well at least I tried to) and caffeine intake ( I used very little coffee, either green tea or decaf) and tried (some times not very successfully) reduce my stress. I was OK until 3- 4 months ago. Sever symptoms of all that comes with merrier. These attacks got very bad and reduced more my hearing in the bad ear but also reduced the hearing in the good ear. I feel my ears blocked and keep popping but still feel them blocked. Tinnitus fluctuates. And a new type of dizziness that never had. I used to feel like an earthquake was happening where I was ( this did not cause me to feel unbalanced). Now the new dizziness is like I try to stare at something but my eyes keep going round and round and this makes me feel very nausea and wants to vomit and not able to keep my balance (this the only way i can explain this). Then i feel "ok" lets say for a few days and then here we go again.

Does anyone of you experience something???

Can anyone tell me what to do to reduce or get ride of these???

Some Doctors here are completely worthless (Cyprus). 

Can you give me some advice on what to do. Maybe some herb remedies or machines i can buy to treat these MD symptoms

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The new symptoms are a progression of that which involves the vestibular part of the inner ear.  Has intraympanic steroids been given as an option for treatment.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

I have been to an ENT doctor and gave me betaserc 16 and bionir ( i think this is the name of the new pill) but it seem not to be doing anything. These steroids will help with vertigo, dizziness, hearing loss, titinus etc??

How much does it cost here in Cyprus? 

Will i need a hearing aid? The affected ear has almost 70 to 80 % hearing loss and in the other around 20%.

Please i need this somehow fixed because is affecting my life BIG TIME.

• Posted

The intratympanic steroid will help, yes.  Dr. Gerasimos Kyriakides, Aretaio Hospital Nicosia, can help you with regards to this.

• Posted

My ENT doctor dr. Michalis Charalambous is my doctor. Is the one that stablize before my disease. What type of doctor is the one u suggesting?
    • Posted

ENT also.  You can alsk Dr. Charalambous if he can provide intratympanic steroids.

• Posted

Marioscy,

I'm so sorry that your Meniere's is progressing.  Inner ear injections with steroids helped me a lot.  If they're available to you, it just might be worth a try!

Take care,

J-

• Posted

What you are describing is exacly what I have been suffering on and off for the last 6 months.

For me, these extreme symtoms have been triggered off with sweet items like cakes or isotonic drinks. If I get an attack it is usually within minutes of consuming any of the above and what this causes is a feeling of drunkenness where I feel sick my eyes are unable to focus and appear to be roling around and my balance is somewhat desturbed. The feeling last for around 2 hours before I roughly back to normal.

To be honest I am new to this so I havent as yet changed my diet. The only changes I have made is to stop drinking caffeine (coffee & energy drinks e.g Red Bull)

From my personnal accessment. my problems ted to start after having a cold and then I am stuck with the symptoms for some months afterwards. The fuller my ear feels the more likely of an attack happening.

All I have been taking in terms of medication is Betahistine and travel sick pills though I dont think they work very well.

This has probably not helped your situation but I can simpathize with how you are feeling.

• Posted

Thanks Joyheywood,

the problem is that for me for the last 3 months is continuous. And they do not leave only after a few days and then they come back. I did not find anything that might trigger this. For the last 2 days i feel like i am drunk, can't focus and somewhere not balanced. 

And a headache that does not go away even with painkillers

• Posted

I noticed last weekend that doing a lot of bending where my head height changes a lot can have an effect.
    • Posted

i do not remember but the last 6 months or so i moved to my own place and i have travelling to different altitutes daily. My house is in a much higher altitute that my work. And on weekends i also go to a much higher altitute. But the weekend trip to the altitute has been happening for the last 8 years. Does this count?

Also five to six month before the first strong attack i had intence stress due to new work.  But lately i manage to have it under some control.

Does this count as a factor?

• Posted

Yes it's a horrible stage. So sorry. There are a couple of essential oils you can buy and if you rub some behind the ear it really helps. I use Gingko lfor better circulation. Are you on a diuretic?

• Posted

Oh goodness. .yes it's a new stage you need a diuretic. Talk to your doctor as soon as you can. I have had those same symptoms and with the diuretic and following the diet mine have gone away. If they get worse in the future I will consider shots as well. But if this is all new to you I would try the diuretic. You can buy a all natural one called horsetail. It's a fabulous herb. But depending on what country your in there are some wonderful prescription options as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.