My mother is to have a total hysterectomy. Any advice please

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all I'm Jim and I'm asking for my 73 year old but active mother who has ovarian cysts and is having a total hysterectomy as a precaution . Firstly I'd like to know if a total or complete can actually be carried out through keyhole or not. Secondly I'm planning on staying with her for a while but was wondering what the typical hospital stay and recovery time is. Also would she be able to eat normal foods , go to the toilet without help. Sorry so many questions but I've nowhere else to ask. If you all could advise me on the above matters or anything else you consider relevant which I haven't mentioned or yet thought of . Many thanks Jim

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi jim possible keyhole ,idk,she wont be allowed to lift for 3 months ,but after a couple of days she will eat ok, just tell her to take it easy , she will need help washing etc ,not even lifting kettle for 2weeks ,common sence she will know what she can do,but the first 2 weeks really take it easy,i had 22 staples in my tummy ,and i just behaved and rested and knew when i could do things,just must not pull her tummy ,all the best hope this helps tc mags smile
  • Posted

I only stayed in hospital 1 night
    • Posted

Margaret thanks for taking the time to reply . I'm a little worried as although I'm moving in with her, i work during day and from what you say maybe she would need someone to be there 24/7. She's having op on Friday so will be there continuously for the first 2 days . What do you think
    • Posted

Hi Margaret thank you for asking. Overall she is doing well, however she is complaining about severe abdominal itching and not just where the wounds is but widespread. I'm wondering if this is common for this operation or something else. Thank you Jim
    • Posted

Thats very common. I still do and I am 9 weeks post surgery!

Hope she is doing well

• Posted

I had a Laparotomy a few weeks back and I was in hospital for 3 and half days. The first day was surgery and 2nd was getting over it. I did not have hysterectomy but was in a ward with an older lady who did. She got on so much better then me so there is a chance she had keyhole.

It does depend if it is keyhole surgery or full/laparotomy. They should have told her and it should be in any admission letters she has.

She will get what help she needs while in hospital so dont worry. I know she is older then me, but if she can, encourage her to move as much as she can as soon as she can while in hospital. The nurses will encourage it too. It helps healing so much.

I had my hubby home with me for a few days but he only done the things I could not. Get me a cuppa, serve me dinner so I limit my time on my feet. I managed to toilet myself but he was there in case.

But she will need help having a shower or wash. I was silly enough to have a shower the first day my hubby went back to work, a full 4 days after coming home. And i struggled. Luckily my parents walked in the door!

She def needs to take it easy for the first 2 weeks, but move as much as she can.

recovery time will depend on if she has Keyhole or full surgery. I am 5 weeks into recovery and though I have no pain, I have had my wound opened and off to A and E and feeling slightly achy and tired today and I am 37!

If you have family, friends or neighbours who can look in her if you have to go to work. It helps trust me.

Some things that helped me was to hold my belly whenever i moved, just to protect it, I found I could not sleep on my side for 10 days after so had a spare bed made up because i started to get back ache laying on back for more then 3 hours. So I went into the spare room to sleep, woke up went back to original bed and managed to get a full sleep.

If you need more advice or just want a chat. Message me. I am still off work recovering so at home at the moment.

• Posted

Hi catrinadawn thanks for your reply. She was told that it will be attempted by keyhole but she has signed the consent forms for full procedure incase they encounter any difficulty with keyhole. I will have to see how she is after a few days and maybe take the time off work to look after her for longer . Haven't got the leave from work but I wouldn't want to leave her on her own either. I appreciate you taking the time to reply and I wish you well and a speedy recovery . Jim

• Posted

Hi Jim,

I'm 39 and had a full hysterectomy done via open surgery 4 months ago for a borderline ovarian tumor. I was in hospital for 4days and it took a couple of weeks at home recovering before I could manage completely on my own. I hadn't realised how tired little tasks made me feel, and how much bending/lifting/stretching is required doing normal day to day things. I'd definitely recommend moving around as much as you're able, eating should be fine but codeine pain therapy might result in constipation so good idea to eat lots of fibre and fresh fruit/vegetables. 

Good luck, hope all goes well for your mother

• Posted

Glad I am not the only one hadn't realised how tired I get. I used to have so much energy. Now I struggle.

Hope it goes soon!

• Posted

Hi Lisa thanks for your reply. I guess judging by the fact that younger ladies like yourselves have had a tough time I think I'm definitely going to have to stay home with mum especially if surgeon opts for full procedure rather than keyhole. Wish you a speedy recovery. All the best Jim
  • Posted

I don't know if your are in the United States or not but here they pull out through your vaginia! Sorry but true. No stomach incisions at all. But if are where you are they cut you open she will need help everyday for a full week. No driving or lifting for 6 weeks. Hope her surgery goes well and she heals quickly 
    • Posted

Hi sheri we are in the London England . Not sure if they do procedure any different over here. Ultimately I appreciate the honesty. I've got to know where I stand when it come to caring for her. Thanks for your reply Jim
    • Posted

hi jim im in uk to,please try not to worry she will be fine ,i have actually had 4 ops in 3.5yrs and another soon,on my tummy kidney etc,i am 57 ,your mum will be fine ,the nurses will give you paperwork with everything you need to know,and they will give you a phone number after if any probs to phone a special nurse , but im sure she will be in good hands...ie a caring son,rest is the best medicine,and keyhole is easier ,i said earlier i have had open surgery and i was fine ,not drive for 6 weeks was the worsed for me lol,but hey tc keep me in touch all the best health and happiness magsxsmile
    • Posted

Margaret thanks again for your replies and kind words. i just hope that it is ultimately done by keyhole as one of the cysts is 7cm in size. I will have to try and keep composed and hope that all goes well.  Jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.