My mouth is so inflamed and my upper gums are receding quickly

Posted , 9 users are following.

It started a 1 1/2 yrs ago with lichen planus on my arm and leg - after 6 months it went away.  Then Feb of this year my gums started ulcerating - freaked my dentist out, he thought it was trench mouth.  Anyway it cleared up for a while then bam.  Went to a Perioditist and diagnoised with oral lichen planus.  I am 58 and very healthy so not sure about the suppressed imuninty - but have been doing accuputure, did a 10 day body cleanse.  Now my upper gums are receding as an incredible rate.  Just within the last two weeks can start seeing the bone.  My Dr. prescribed a numbing mouth rinse just so I can brush my teeth.  Even through all the pain, etc. I am most concerned about the gums receding.  Anyone else experiencing this?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laura, So sorry for what you are going through!  I have had olp for 7-8 years, and my dentist also mentioned trench mouth when I first noticed it, which freaked us both out! But then sent me to an oral surgeon who knew what it was. My gums are red in patchy places and recently I have some swelling in some spots also. Normally I don't have too much trouble with it, but the last few months have been worse. My gums have also been receding, more so than I would think would be normal especially recently.I don't think as severly as you have described.  I do clench my teeth at night which can also cause receding gums. So I have chalked it up to the combination of the errosive lichen planus and teeth grinding or clenching. I would think the accupucture could be very beneficial. Don't know what your body cleanse consisted of, but could it have been too much for your body to handle a cleanse right now?  Maybe depleted you of a mineral or vitamin that was essential to your situatation presently. Just a thought. Hope you are able to get relief soon!
    • Posted

Hi Kay

Just wondered how you are with LP mines been a nightmare lately makes me so depressed X

• Posted

Hi Laura,

same here.  Mine started 5 months ago.   White patches and red inflamation covering most of my gums, especially the upper gums.  I panicked, saw my dentist who diagnosed as OLP, I had never heard of it.  He referred me to a periodontist to confirm the diagnosis - i have a perio appointment beginning Nov - the periodontist was not available in Sep and I am in Europe in Oct, the thing is, it is only an evaluation with possibly a biopsy, because it really looks like OLP.  I brush my teeth with natural toothpaste and do it very slowly and gently, in some areas my gums are receding too.  Like you, i too am frustrated and angry because i always took such great care of my teeth and ate healthy and work out regularly...so i am puzzled, asking why this autoimmune disease attacks me.  I do not know anyone with this problem but my dentist and doctors keep telling me that they see many people with OLP, i think they say that to make me feel better.  Hang in there..you are not alone, at least in the forums world😊

• Posted

Hi kaylean

Just wondered how things are with the LP only mines making me so depressed would be nice to hear from you x

• Posted

Oh Laura I'm so sorry to read what you are going through I've

just noticed that my gums are going red as well but it doesn't

seem to be anything as bad as yours. I have a dental appointment on Monday so I'll find out how bad it is. I wish you well and hope clears up or at least eases off asap.

• Posted

Laura-and all,  I'm sorry you have this disease, as well.  It's so frustrating.  I take care of myself, have good health otherwise, and I'm a vegetarian.  I woke up two years ago this Nov with my gums inflamed.  Dr. thought it was gingivitis and after two treatments I went to dentist, who didn't have a clue.  After a couple of more doctors, my dermatologist did a biopsy, and it was OLP.  At the time I had just started noticing a couple of purple spots on my legs so I guess I have LP, too.  I think it truly started in 2010, when I had severe mouth and vaginal ulcers three times in two months, but no tested me, even though they had no idea what it was.  (Told me I got herpes after 45 years of marriage to the same man!  Idiots!) I am on an immune suppresant, which helped tremendously, but I want to get off it soon.  It lowers your resistance to cancer, and my mother had breast cancer, which scares me.  I don't have receeding gums yet, but now that you all have mentioned it, I'll be on the lookout.  I use kids' toothpaste.  Its gentle and doesn't burn.
  • Posted

I had eOLP for many years on my inner cheeks before it started attacking my gums. I have found a Panasonic dental jet pretty essential for preventing food build up where the gum damage has created food traps. I have been using green tea tablets from Holland & Barrett (have posted separately about this). They are probably more effective if you suck them before swallowing (though they are gritty and can superficially stain teeth). I saw my dentist yesterday and she said the OLP was reduced and less angry, and the gums tighter against the teeth than she had seen previously. There's not much chance of the gums regrowing though. Important not to damage gums with a toothbrush - an electric toothbrush with a small oscillating head is best avoiding too much pressure.
  • Posted

Update - I went on the Autoimmune Paleo diet and my mouth started feeling better - still some soreness but not the intense burning and pain.  The only thing I did not give up was coffee.  After a month on the diet I gave up coffee and my mouth had not felt this good since Feb.  Again sloughing still happening as well as cravings for pizza and mexican food.  I recently have tried both Ibuprofen and sudafed and experienced another major outbreak...so now I need to find a replacement for the sudafed.  
    • Posted

You need to find a replacement for the IBUPROFEN! It's an NSAID. NSAIDS are determined to be one of the catalysts for this disease. Switch to ACETYLCHOLINE (TYLENOL) ASAP. I can attest that I know for a fact that Ibuprofen brought on my attack last month.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.