My perforated bowel - a result of undiagnosed Diverticulitis

Posted , 48 users are following.

On the morning of 17th July 2007 I was particularly happy. Summer Term had just ended so I had 6 weeks of holiday from my Teaching Assistant job ahead, my husband was coming back from a 3 week research visit to Australia on Friday and my first grandchild was due in August. Life seemed very good – I was listening to Women’s Hour, and my 16 year old son was asleep as usual upstairs. I felt a need to rush to the downstairs toilet and whilst sitting there fell forward with agonising and unexpected pain. I recall trying to shout my son’s name but being able to do so only weakly. After what seemed like hours, he arrived sleepily at the toilet door and asked what was wrong. I replied ‘this is the worst pain since childbirth’ (already acknowledged in my family as the gold standard for pain after two 3 day labours!) and he said’ better ring an ambulance then’……I recall a paramedic trying to open the toilet door to get to me, and then…….

I awoke 8 days later in Intensive Care.

So this part of my story is what everyone told me later. I was admitted to A&E and there were several hours of uncertainty as to what was occurring. Fortunately an experienced Consultant passed by and noticed how ill I was and took over the case, sending me for an X-ray which revealed air in the abdomen which meant a perforated organ, probably a bowel. He arranged for emergency surgery as the contents of the bowel would be leaking into the body effectively poisoning my system. My son called his best friend’s mother (and my friend) who came to the hospital and spoke with the consultant who said that my husband should be called as there was an 80% and rising chance that I would die in the next few hours. She made the call to my husband in Sydney and then passed the phone to the doctor who explained that I was to go into emergency surgery for a perforated bowel, would probably not survive and he needed to return at once. My husband immediately left for the airport where Singapore Airlines got him onto the next available flight to the UK with 32+ hours of travel ahead not knowing what he would find on arrival. As my son was only 16, they also called my brother as someone could be needed to make life and death decisions and my friend was asked if my husband would trust her to make those decisions in the meantime. The operation took place in the middle of night and lasted several hours – nearly a foot of bowel was removed and a stoma created to allow the bowel to heal. There had been a lot of bowel content dispersed over the body and severe sepsis had set in and after the surgery I was taken to ICU ventilated and sedated and not expected to survive.

My elder son was also called back from Sri Lanka where he was volunteering in a children’s home – he was called by his elder brother, my husband’s oldest son, who also arranged for a car to meet my husband at Heathrow and called him in Singapore to update him on the situation. It would be his story to describe his feelings but it doesn’t take much imagination to realise what a nightmare journey that must have been.

He arrived back very early Wednesday morning and the taxi driver rushed him to Leicester from Heathrow and to see me in ICU – the usual frightening scenario with lots of tubes, machines breathing for me, feeding me through tubes and monitoring all my vital signs.

Over the next few days his life had the nightmarish quality you would expect – hours at my bedside and then going home to deal with phone calls from family and friends and feeding the children, doing the washing and trying to keep some sort of normality in the home, whilst being told that the staff were concerned that I had not come round and each day like that was increasingly worrying.

I meanwhile was in a horror movie in my head where I was being held prisoner in the desert in the Middle East and then taken to an institution where I was to have my organs harvested whilst I was still alive. (I later learned that such hallucinations are normal and a result of both the drugs given and the general sedation experience).

When I awoke I saw my husband hovering at the end of the bed like a hologram and assumed it was some new Skype phone development where he could send me his picture whilst telephoning from Australia. He was unable to convince me that he was actually in the UK or that I had had emergency surgery and a colostomy. I assumed that the staff were lying to him too (paranoia is also a key feature of a stay in ICU).

Eventually I was transferred to a general ward where I spent 5 weeks recovering, and was discharged with a colostomy and a massive 11” long open wound – my abdomen had burst open after the surgery because of the systemic infection I had. Naively my husband and I thought that the wound would close in a few months and I would regain my strength and become one of those people where others said “Isn’t she marvellous, she’s had a colostomy but you’d never know”.

In fact the wound was still open when I returned to the hospital 11 months later to have to colostomy reversed - it never healed. This second surgery resulted in an ileostomy which was also reversed 6 months later, and another 12 months later I had my fourth surgery in December 2009 to repair the large incisional hernia the other operations left me with. I adapted well to having a colostomy, being in a wheelchair for a period, and to every aspect of my life being medicalised. I found the support of organisations like the Colostomy Association invaluable but was increasingly irritated by the stories of how so-and-so had climbed Everest with a stoma, or travelled round China or the Amazon basin. I’d never wanted to do those things before I was ill and I certainly don’t now. I found the incessant cultural clamour to be a ‘brave’ patient, to bear quietly and stoically my misfortunes, and to keep quiet about them as the months went by and family and friends were ready to move on and I wasn’t, particularly difficult.

I can only thank all the NHS staff who took care of me so well in those three years.

It is now over three years later and I am writing my story down because I couldn’t find out anything about perforated bowel when it happened to me, and I want someone to read this knowing that they are not the only person it happens to, and you can return to health afterwards. I would also recommend the website ICUsteps which is very helpful to people who’ve been in Intensive Care.

12 likes, 126 replies

126 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thanks for telling your story. I have recently been told I have extensive diverticulitis following a colonoscopy undertaken as it was thought I might have cancer. I dont which is great but now have been placed on antibiotics and steroids and told I might need to have some bowel removed.

It seems so awful what you have been through but if my operation prevents what you experienced it will be worthwhile.

I have terrible pain and diarreahand often cant leave home with my problems so I hope to get more help soon!

• Posted

I really sympathise with the pain and diarrhea which was a feature of my life with diverticulitis. But I had no treatment so hopefully the antibiotics and steroids will improve things. If you have to have some bowel removed (and I understand it's much easier done as elective surgery rather than as an emergency) I can tell you that without that last bit of bowel I hardly ever have diarrhoea, or any bowel pain, and my day-to-day life is much improved as a result. Not the way I would have chosen to get here but a positive outcome anyway.
  • Posted

Hi, how awful for you. I can sympathise and cannot begin to tell you how strong you must have been to survive what you have been through. I too, am a victim of a perforated bowel and at present I am in a state of limbo. One morning in June I was teaching when I doubled up in pain. I became worse over the next two hours I left work and drove myself to the hospital. I was admitted with a perforated bowel.I was told it may be cancer and I may have to have emergency surgery. I was nil by mouth for 11days, then puy on a soft diet and given 6 weeks of antibiotics and sent home, thankfully I did not need surgery. I was told that I had diverticuler disease. Last week I had a colonoscopy which was excrutiating agony, they removed a small colonis polyp and said the perforation had healed, but i would get an appointment in ten days. Needless to say I am still getting so much tummy pain and bloating, I am so anxious that they have missed something, as the colonoscopy report that I was given does not even mention diverticuler disease, yet I was assuming that the pain of the colonoscopy was because of just that! I am totally confused, fed up of being so tired and feel so alone with my symptoms! Before my bowel perforated I had no symptoms apart from a little bit of bloatedness!
    • Posted

I have diverticulosis & get diverticulitis, my husband was treated for a year on and off for diverticulis that never stopped hurting, at my isistance he had a colonoscopy and his colon was so inflamed they recomemed surgery, I Strongly Beleieve you Shoul seek out a New GI doctor. It may help to reacerch the ones in your plan on line, there are a lot of remporing agency's that patients can rate the doctors and tell their stories, Good Luck and get well soon 

• Posted

It sounds like you need more information from the appointment to discuss the results. I think having some diverticular disease is quite common as you get older so isn't necessary a big medical problem unless something gets trapped in one of the diverticula setting up an infection which can become an abcess and is when that abcess bursts that you get bowel perforation. Fortunately they managed to control it in your case with antibiotics and avoid surgery and colostomy etc. You really need to ask questions at the appointment about the continued pain and bloating and whether it is caused by diverticulitis. There's some information here I found helpful

www.corecharity.org.uk/Diverticular-disease.html

It will take a while to recover from what happened to you so be kind to yourself.....best wishes

• Posted

Thanks Barbs55, I will read the link you have passed on Thank you! I have phoned the hospital to get an appt asap. I really need to speak to someone and get some answers with my on going symptom. I will let you know how I get on. I need to get back to work asap as I have no wage coming in and bills are mounting up. I will take it easy and will not over do things. It is not the best case scenario but needs must! In the meantime take care and look after yourself and thanks again!
  • Posted

Thank you for posting this. I am currently in a nightmare similar to yours. My mum is currently critically ill after a bowel perforation in November from un-diagnosed divertivulitis, which was fixed but has subsequently been re-admitted with severe sepsis from untreated left over infection from inital perforation. Her bowels and stomach are now not working also, so is currently being parentally fed.

I have taken great confort from your story and am very hopeful that my mum makes a similiar recovery. Thank you

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear about your mum. I was parenterally fed in ICU and nasally-fed for quite a while when back on the Ward because the bowel tends to stop working in these circumstances and needs to rest. in my ward i was opposite another middle-aged woman with a perforated bowel who also made a good recovery. I really hope you have some good news soon.. I am pleased you have taken some comfort from my story, and send you and your family my best wishes.
  • Posted

I was recently urgently admitted to hospital with severe diverticulitis. My stomach had swollen up huge. The doctors were considering doing an op for a bag for a bowel. They put the tube up the nose and down to the stomach which released lots of air and all I remember is feeling very ill. Nil by mouth for over a week, not that I felt like eating anyway. Eventually I came home and went for a 'virtual colonoscopy' which replaces the barium enema they said. It was a scan while they injected dye into me and put a tube up to insert a bit of air into the bowel. After all my worrying it was nothing to worry about. Today they say they want to do further investigations, for 'completeness'. I am frantic. I feel well, have no bleeding, just a bit of pain in the side which I have had for years with the diverticulitis.
  • Posted

Hi Barb, My experience is very similar to yours. After a day of pain, at 4am I finally got my husband to take me to the ER. A CT scan immediately showed that my colon had burst. Emergency surgery was called for and as I was being rushed down the hall, I begged one of the nurses to look after my husband who was not well himself. I also underwent a long surgery and I came out of it with a stoma.

Unfortunately, when I awoke, my husband was not by my side. While I was out, he had suffered a massive heart attack and had actually been in the OR, having open heart surgery at the same time that I was being operated on. He was then in the ICU with me.

I recovered enough to go home in a week, with surgery to reverse the stoma scheduled to be done in 8 weeks. I also had a long incision, however, it healed nicely.

My poor husband, however, unable to be weaned from the respirator, stayed behind in hospital. He fought hard for 2 months, but finally lost his battle before my second surgery.

Going through all of this alone was very difficult (I have no children) but I made it. I believe that my concern for him so out weighed fear for myself that my body healed in spite of anything I did. I never even thought of the stoma as a permenate thing. The hole almost healed up before the reversal was done.

Two years later, I also developed an incisional hernia. That was taken care of laproscopically and I only spent one night in hospital.

The docs could never tell me why the perforation happened. There was and continues to be no underlying disease and except for desperately missing my husband, it might have never happened.

Thanks so much for sharing your story. I'm so glad I found it.

• Posted

Oh deb I'm so sorry that you have gone thru such Trauma. I hope things are getting better for you. My heart goes out to you. I will keep you in my prayers. I'm a christian and Jesus loves you and can heal you from the lonliness and pain your experiencing.. I've been thru what your going thru but not losing a husband at the same time the way u have.. It saddens me that you have gone through this.. I don't know if your a christian but if not I can share the greatest gift I've ever recieved and that's my relationship with God.. The bible says we've all sinned.. Our only way to God the Father is through Jesus Christ.. Oh how he loves you .. He died for all our sins and so we can go to heaven and be with him forever to have eternal life.. The bible says if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in thine heart that God has raised Him from the dead thou shalt be saved. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him should not Parrish. We are made right with God through asking God to forgive us of our sins and accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.. He came to save us because He loves us so. And I know He loves you. Hope things get better for you. I'm praying for you
  • Posted

Thank you for letting me read your story and although I am so pleased to hear you have made such a good recovery, I am also so sorry that you have lost your husband, and at such a difficult time. Please accept my heartfelt sympathies.

One of my Doctors suggested that we just look at it like an Appendicitis - it is just one of those out-of-the-blue things that sometimes happens. I am glad you found this site helpful.

Best wishes for the future.

• Posted

Your original post sounds exactly like my incident in Apr 2013. Nothing apparently wrong one minute then the blinding pain ,and waking up 6 days later in intensive care at Heartlands in Birmingham ,and had an emergency colostomy ,but was discharged after a speedy recovery in 2 weeks ,(my surgeon was amazed !!!)The human body is a fragile thing and we ,well at least I HADNT appreciated the damage we do with eating inappropriate food .

I am due to have my reversal soon and am apprehensive about it ,as the last time I was operated on was seriously ill, and I have no ideas what to expect following the procedure ?

• Posted

Very impressed with your speedy recovery the first time, which does indicate that the reversal should go well too. Someone pointed out to me that an 'elective' surgery when you go in knowing what is going to happen, is always easier to recover from than the sort of traumatic emergency admission we both experienced. I certainly found the reversal surgeries easier, and with a quicker recovery time. Some surgeons/hospitals do a reversal in two stages, where you have the colostomy reversed but a temporary ileostomy put in whilst it heals (this is what I had, so I had a reversal from one to the other in July, an then the final reversal in November. Other places do it in one go - my surgeon said it depended what they found when they went in!
  • Posted

Thanks Barbs ,This reversal procedure has been explained by the surgeon who will be doing my operation ,and he said there is a slight chance of a ileostomy ,But just two days ago I had to have the dreaded camera passed through my bowels and the consultant who did that said all looked good to do it in one go. I Don't know what to think as he also said my bowels (for a 58 year old man ) were in great condition ,a minute amount of diverticulitis , local to the stoma ,which will be removed when I get the reversal done .

It took me a while to come to terms with the " WHY ME " as I was and am quite an active person ,whereas im sure your the same and see overweight smokers /drinkers living a normal life .But everyday I just thank my lucky stars that im still here !!

Lastly if anyone else reads this ,When and if you need the endoscopy (camera) you do not need sedation when it goes through the stoma ,but you certainly will when they check your back passage .Not pleasant !!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.