My son has had migraines for nearly 12 years, help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

My son has had migraines sickness and diziness for nearly 12 years now, he goes to the hairdressers he comes back with a migraine, every time he goes and watches his favourite football team he ends up in the medical room all the way through the match, there is plenty more incidents, I just need some help doctors are hopeless, he hasn't got a job he isn't on benefits please help.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hi, i am a migraine sufferer for 18+ years, i am a 36 year old female. i have found a migraine diary helped me find the triggers and found removing those triggers for example wine or lack of sleep has lessoned the attacks. i have tried various medications over the years, some over the counter and some prescibed and now take a medication every night - this does help, i am not migraine free but have them once or twice a month instead of once or twice a week. If the doctors is no help would it possible for you to get a second opionion and see a different doctor, take the migraine diary along with you to expalin how they affect your sons life. I have a pink light bulb in my bedroom - bizarre I know! - but this has helped a lot! and have my laptop on dim, i also find lavender oil is good - i have a version you can rub onto the head that soothes me. I find stress also is a big trigger for me so keeping stress under control helps a lot. hope this helps if only a little. Rebecca.
  • Posted

Hi. I thought I would reply - but not sure if this may be helpful.  I had my first migrane ever and it was due to my c1/c2 vertebrae in my neck, right where the head is attached to the spinal cord.  It took my constant prodding to my neurologist that something did not feel right as my first migraine happened in August and it lingered for almost 2 months, I also had chronic back of the head pain, dizziness, confusion, and concentration issues.  He insisted it was a migraine and that I needed to 'spin out of it'.  Everytime I would drive (you move your head around a lot - much like your son would do watching a match), I would end up in chronic pain with intense symptoms.  Fast forward 2+ months, after I followed my hunch, met with a physical therapist and non-surgical neck dr and found out, my C1/C2 slipped out of place one night sleeping a on really sagging bad.  I also had poor posture, text neck from using my phone, etc.  The Physical therapist (do not go to a chirpactor - say away from them!!), under the supervision of my neck dr, gently corrected my neck.  I had one more major migraine as all the toxins, spinal fluid, etc that was kinked at the base of neck/head flooded my brain.  Since then, I am now on the mend.  I no longer go to the hair stylist to get my hair washed (where they tip your head/neck back into the bowl).  I shower before hand and style it, and then then get a dry hair cut from my stylist.  Having your C1/C2 is a MAJOR injury.  Since meeting with my neck dr., he has said any sort of injury/issues with the C1-C5 (vertebrae that make up your neck) can cause migraines.  Maybe your son has a C3-C5 injury, or misaligment.  A good (non-sugerical) neck dr., can usually put their hands on the back of the neck and FEEL if there is a misalignment.  An x-ray can confirm or detect out of alignments.  I guard against going to a chiropractor.  My PT has warned me from ever going - which I have done in my life.  Fortunately, I have an amazing PT and neck dr here in the states.  Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.