My story....

Posted , 2 users are following.

Now 64 years old.Over 20 years ago started episodes of extreme shortness of breath when climbing stairs.No chest pain. Because of my history of non smoking,normal weight and regularly cycling 200 miles per week was not considered a cardiac case.But over the following years the s.o.b. became progressively worse and despite actually collapsing at the top of 2 flights of stairs and being hospitalised over the weekend still was not considered to have a heart problem.Anxiety was mentioned as a possible cause.Any sort of heavy exercise literally brought me to my knees ,gasping for breath.I actually developed a phobia about stairs because of the distress they caused...I had to change my dentist because the surgery was on the 1st floor and when I was nervous I could not manage one flight.Well I had many E.C.G.s,Chest X rays but still no heart diagnosis.My job was not too strenuous but if I lifted something heavy I got pressure in my chest which took some time to clear.Well I moved home and now live in a hilly area and that is where my problems increased.Walking uphill I got terrific pressure in my chest which disappeared very quickly on the flat.It did not hurt .......just like having massive wind.Anyway I presented myself at the doctors with my symptoms and to cut a long story short ,after a scan was given a diagnosis of angina.But still no chest pain.However the breathlessness is a massive problem.The spray I was given does not help-in fact if I take a dose before exertion it makes the problem worse.I also seem to get fatigued very easily and suffer terrible dizziness.My life right now is pretty miserable in many ways.My meds are Lipitor 20mg per day and aspirin.I had to give up sex years ago because of the s.o.b.Would love to have a stent or two but not sure if that is the answer.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi tony,

You can have angina without chest pain, but we rarely hear of cases like it, have you had a lung function test ? I'd be interested in the result, I realise you have stated you are a fit person. It's very intriguing that the spray under the tongue doesn't help , GTN spray is also used for indigestion believe it or not smile . GTN will make you feel dizzy especially first time users, did you get the headache as well ? You talk about stents, have you had an angiogram to see what your arteries are like ? I have a 50 % blockage in the LAD and a 60 % in the right coronary artery, they won't stent here with that amount of blockage, they class those 2 blockages of mine as baby blockages, they stent when the artery is 95 % blocked unless you have a heart attack before hand to find it 95 % to almost fully blocked, I have heard some patients here being stented at 85 % .

Doctors will always use the "anxiety " exscuse if they can't find anything first time around. What kind of work do you do ? I'm not a doctor but to me what you are describing is lung(s) they can also give off chest pain as well even though you have stated you don't get chest pain. What other heart tests have they performed on you ?

• Posted

rrYes I had an angiogram about 3 years ago and this confirmed the diagnosis of angina.The cardiologist never mentioned any percentages ,he drew a little diagram of my coronary arteries and showed two sites of narrowing.He asked if I ever had palpitations or s.o.b. to which I replied "I'm always short of breath.",which to be fair,was an exaggeration because it mainly happens on moderate to high levels of exertion.There was no response to this statement anyway.I was given isosorbide mononitrate slow release tablets .These seemed to increase the breathlessness so I stopped taking them.As for the lungs,I had several x rays at the start of my troubles.All clear.I worked for 16 years in a factory where there was fairly high levels of dust from Bentonite,but we all wore masks and had regular checks on our lungs.One of my biggest problems is dizziness which is sometimes with me all day long.At times I walk down the street like a drunken man!I have not worked for 18 months due to redundancy so I am more or less retired.I never use the nitrate spray but it has given me a throbbing headache in the past.I feel like I am waiting for something bad to happen.Thanks for the interest.
    • Posted

Hi tony,

It is interesting and thanks for sharing, this strengthens my belief that it may be your lungs as any form of dust causes emphasema, cigarettes aren't the only things that cause this horrid disease, factory workers, concretors , anyone that works around dust is susceptable to it. My GP says I have emphasema or COPD but my xrays like yours are clear that's why I asked if you have had a lung function test done.

I also find it strange that a doctor asks you a question and with your answer leaves you in limbo, especially if you do have narrowing of any of the arteries that maybe causing you this shortness of breath grief. usually the cardiologist performing the angiogram shows you on the big monitors where you have the blockages, they did with me, interesting stuff watching him look around in your arteries and heart smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.