My story - what to expect from Fluoxetine.

Posted , 7 users are following.

My experience so far (it's a long read!)...

In January I was a competent Compliance Manager, attended the gym daily, had a perfect relationship, a great social life and a meticulously clean house.

By March I was crying in the store cupboard, making excuses to call in sick, ignoring all my friends, arguing with my boyfriend and barely had the energy to brush my teeth - let alone exercise or do housework. I rarely ate or slept and I had the attention span of a goldfish. I was a wreck. All for no apparent reason.

My boyfriend forced me to see a Doctor, who signed me off sick with depression and prescribed 20mg of Fluoxetine daily.

Week 1-2: All I did was sleep and cry. I became terrified of everything and was convinced either me or someone I loved was about to die. I couldn't eat and my teeth were grinding horribly. I stopped showering a refused to brush my hair. These weeks felt like months.

Week 2-6: I started to take it before bed instead of in the morning and slowly regained the ability to stay awake bit by bit, but spent all day on the sofa and was too anxious to speak to anyone except my boyfriend, who I suddenly couldn't stand the sight of anyway. Time slowed to a standstill - I didn't think I'd ever get better. I ground my teeth totally flat.

Week 6-9: My mood began to stabilize, I started speaking regularly to someone on this forum who was very supportive and I stopped feeling so angry/upset all the time. I remembered why hygiene is important! I remained too anxious to speak to anyone else though and still slept every few hours. I felt like I'd been on Fluoxetine for YEARS.

Week 9-12: I began forcing myself to go for long walks with my boyfriend (though I really didn't want to) and started to remember how much I loved him. I kept a mood dairy and started eating again... probably too much. Though still anxious, each day I gained a little more energy and started to take pride in my house again.

Week 12-16: I found myself again. I started laughing, wanting to get dressed every day and even started talking to my friends. I realized how little time had passed since I stopped working, it felt like forever. I still had a few bad days in between and they seem to last a lifetime when you g through them.

It's now mid July and today I started a new job as a retail Manager. I've been walking a few miles a day, eating healthily and generally enjoying life more than I think I've been able to in years. I don't know when I became depressed but Fluoxetine has made me feel like I actually appreciate things more than I ever have. I still have the odd anxious or teary moment and I need more sleep than I used to - but I can't believe how much things have changed for the better. If this happens to me again at least I know there is light at the end of the tunnel. The only lasting side effect now is that my jaw clenches when I'm tired - my dentist isn't impressed but at least I don't smell anymore :-)

The journey is horrible. I'm 26 and in the past few months I feel like I've aged a few decades, but Fluoxetine really does work. Push yourself to get out there and not give into depression and you'll get through it.

I hope this helps someone and is worth the chore of reading. Good luck xxx

6 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Your journey sounds a lot like mine but mine all started after a miscarriage. Are you still taking fluoxetine now or have you started to wean off of it?
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that. I'm still on it, plan to start tapering off at the start of September so I'm off of it by my birthday in November.xx
    • Posted

Sometimes it's recommended people stay on their medication at least a year before reducing, then coming off them.  You should stay on them at least 6 months from when you actually started feeling better as before this the symptoms could recur.

K x

• Posted

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to try as it's much easier to taper off if you haven't been on them long, but if I feel I can't cope at any point I'll be straight back on them. I'm going to be doing it very slowly and with lots of support. Thank thank you though xx
  • Posted

Since I joined here in January (shortly after starting Flu) I have kept up with your story and that of several others.

You have been inspirational.

Thank you.

• Posted

Richo, that's such a lovely thing to say - thank you. This forum has been a great help to me. I wish you all the best for a speedy recovery xx
  • Posted

I've been doing really well to the point I'll be like I'm over this depression but then sometimes I still get panicky and my anxiety increases worrying that the depression is coming back. Does that ever happen to you?
    • Posted

A little, but then I distract myself by going for a walk or playing a video game. I've started a new job this week and each night so far I've had a brief moment of anxiety about the next day - but as soon as it starts I think about something else and I calm down after a few minutes. I've stopped trying to reason with it because I know my judgements impaired. Try to find something that takes your mind off things, you need something that takes your full attention for a while xx
  • Posted

Wow what a journey! I know I am depressed but can't handle the side effects of most antidepressants. Gives me extreme gastro upset, burns like fire and makes my anxiety so much worse. I've never tried Prozac though. Thanks for sharing, very helpful!
    • Posted

You're very welcome - thank you. As you can see, it has awful side effects at first but they do wear off. Depression is such an awful illness, I'd say it's worth a try. Good luck xx
  • Posted

Your story is very inspirational!

I've just started Fluoxetine, and I'm nervous.  It's only day 2, but I'm going through the same thought process where I don't think I'll ever get better.  I just got engaged, and I was extremely happy, now I hate the sight of my fiance, and try to avoid him at all costs.  Anything he says or does just irritates me.  

Reading your story, gives me hope.  

I get up every morning and force myself to get ready and face the world.  I get extremely exhausted doing it, but I don't want to give up.

Any advice?

• Posted

Hi Amaanxox,

I'm sorry for not responding sooner - I know a few days feels like a lifetime when you're struggling. I don't come on here very often anymore.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. I'm so sorry you're going through this but I promise it gets so much better. I feel better than I have in years and i'm already coming off of Fluoxetine after less than 6 months.

Be honest with your fiance, tell him how much you're struggling and let him see that it isn't about him and doesn't mean you don't love him. Show him my story - I absolutely hated my wonderful boyfriend for a while and I couldn't stand for him to touch me. Now I am so in love again, we are planning holidays, marriage and children. (Reassure him the sex drive does come back eventually!) If he is a keeper, he'll stand by you. It's very difficult for both parties but it all passes.

Give yourself a while to get to grips with the medication, do nice things, eat nice food and don't be hard on yourself - but don't give in. I did nothing for months and although I think it is neccessary for a while, I wish now I had pushed myself to face the world sooner. As soon as I started getting out again I started to improve.

Post alot on here and don't be afraid to share - this forum really helped me.

Good luck xx

• Posted

Update: I'm down to 6mg after a month of weening off! :-)

Hoping to be off it completely by the start of October.

The fatigue is back - not as bad as it was but I am struggling a little with energy. Plus my dreams have been pretty intense. Other than that life is wonderful. I love my job, I love my friends and family and most importantly i'm really starting to love me!

It does get better.

• Edited

Not sure if anyone is following but haven't been on in months and thought i'd give a quick update...

I came off Fluoxetine completely but the start of October 2015, having been on it less than six months. I weened off over a period of about a month and did suffer a few withdrawels (sleepiness, grinding teeth) but felt absolutely fine once it was out of my system.

I'm great! I eat well, sleep well and i'm really happy. I can cope just fine with work - although do avoid taking on too much stress after my experience. I'm much more careful with myself now and very aware I could slip back into depression if i don't look after myself but all is well and - aside from a little bit of manageble anxiety - I would say i'm fully recovered.

This forum helped me massively - thank you.

For anyone who may happen to read this; it does get better and though it may feel like a lifetime, it doesn't neccessarily have to take very long - no matter how ill you are!

Good luck xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.