My successful urticaria regimen

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've found a solution to my hives, and I just wanted to share in hopes of helping someone who is new to this. After 2 years of experimentation, I now take: 

- between 2 to 4 Benedryl (diphenhydramine)

- 2 - 4 Claritin (loratadine), and

- 2 multivitamins, containing 1000IU of vitamin D each

I take these every night right before bed and I no longer have symptoms. Since adding the vitamin D, I no longer have break through hives if I miss a day (or even two!) with out the medicine. My life is now perfectly normal, as long as I take the pills. I buy the generics so it's very affordable. Sometimes I mix in ranitidine (Zantac) when I have GI issues. I'm just sharing info I wish I knew 2 years ago, to hopefully save someone else time and frustration. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

if u would, please describe what tests if any u had done especially involving any allergies. Thank u
    • Posted

Sorry I didn't reply sooner.

I really haven't had any tests done becuase I did not have health insurance at the time I started experiencing hives. I'd had a basic allergy screening (blood test) done in the past, so I knew the hives weren't being caused by any known allergy beacuse I was already avoiding those things. I didn't want to pay lots of money out-of-pocket to have a doctor tell me that they didn't know what the issue was, so I started taking over the counter benedryl and worked from there.

• Posted

Hi I am currently visiting the UK and saw your discussion. Do you need a Dr prescription to buy the items you mentioned?

thanks

• Posted

Sorry, I only saw your reply today. I buy all of my medicine from WalMart, in the biggest sizes they sell (to get the lowest price-per-pill), over-the-counter, generics only. I imagine these medicines would be sold over-the-counter in big name grocery store/drug store chains in the UK as well. Good luck, and don't forget to buy the vitamin D as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.