My surgeon excised my bursa when he did the THR ...

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just interested if this is this routinely done as I have read several posts re continuing problems with bursa (e?).

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I asked my surgeon if he would excise mine too as I had chronic bursitis. I am glad I did and hope you are too.

All the Best,

Barb

• Posted

Thank you Barb. To be honest, I didn't realize he had excised it until I re-read the operative report. From what I have heard in this forum, it sounds as if he may have eliminated a problem and avoided future ones. I hope you are doing well.

Linda  

• Posted

How does one excise the bursa?
    • Posted

Hi Annie,

My understanding is that it is a fairly simple surgical removal, but resisted as a stand alone procedure. Perhaps doing it in the course of the THR is done when it is badly inflamed. And my surgeon knew that I had 4 months of intensive therapy using multiple techniques (PT, RMT, acupuncture, deep tissue manipulation, etc., etc., ) to try to manage the pre-op pain.

There is a fair amount of literature available with a quick Google actually (emedicine medscape was useful and YouTube has a video clip (of course)).

Cheers

• Posted

Hi Linda, 

I am one of the trochanteric bursitis sufferers - goodness, it has put me back so much, it makes me feel like crying at times - 

I never knew anything about this bursa and might have discussed it with surgeon if I had -

so, apparently it is not routinely done ....

big warm hug

renee

renee

• Posted

Working backward now, I understand that the bursa was responsible for one of the elements of bad pain (I was really not able to lie on that side for PT or RMT treatments and trying to roll off that side (and the other for that matter) was pure agony ... almost as bad as the OA pain when bending to retrieve anything low.😨😨😓😫

So I am very grateful ... just did not appreciate what had been done. 😊 I am so sorry that you are struggling with this and yet you remain one of the most patient and generous of people I have encountered. Xxx

Can they not remove it for you ...?

With very warm regard and hugs for one of the forum's sweetest members,

Linda

• Posted

I am not sure Linda - this surgeon wants to wait and also with one of those injections -  I had Tens treatement and dry-needling - dry-needling seemed to make it worse - it felt if my torso was detached from lower body so walking became very unstable and painful --

interesting part (at least for me) is that it is my old new hip that is the bugger - 

I will make another appointment end of May -- 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Well ... as much as medicine is a science, it is the art which solves the more complex cases. And you are sooo worth having an artist working on you.

I hope the injections work ... time for you to live life in all your glory!

With 'big warm hugs' ( I have gotten so many lovely ones from you)!

L

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.