My Surgery Experience - Brostrom 1/16/2017

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had my surgery today (ligament reconstruction/Brostrom), and it couldn't have gone better! My surgeon said it went great, it took less time than we thought it would, and the anesthesiologist really knew what he was doing! Apparently I woke up as soon as the surgery was over, and other than slight grogginess afterwards for awhile, no side effects!

I was in pain afterwards -- I rated it about a 7, but after percocet and 2 IV pushes of I'm not sure what, I didn't ask, it went down to about a 3.5. I stayed in recovery for a bit -- drank water and ate ice, went to the bathroom, drank some juice and then I was good to go!

I had the nicest nurses, I don't remember them even letting me know they were starting the IV for anesthesia, and like I said, had the nicest nurses.

My surgical cast is great! It's hard around the back and sides and soft in the front...tight enough for support, but loose enough for swelling. It's also fiberglass instead of plaster like I had the first time around, so it doesn't weigh a million pounds.

As far as surgical experiences go, this was an awesome one!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

So happy it all went well. 😀

• Posted

Me too! I was so scared and excepcting a lot worse!!! I was thinking about my first experience which was not nearly as pleasant in any way. Even with the On-Q pain pump that I was given I was still in more pain last time than this itme.
  • Posted

Hi. So happy it went great. Hope you will be painfree soon.  I am wondering if I should have this done as well.  I have pain lateral ankle that is excruciating with pins and needles especially after resting like mornings. Need to walk with a cane when pain really bad
    • Posted

I'd say first talk to your ortho about the pins and needles, and if they suggest surgery,  get it done. It'll suck in recovery time, but afterwards, it'll be so much better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.