My test results

Posted , 3 users are following.

I got my results back today by going to the lab and getting them. I haven't heard from my doctor yet but was wondering what f you can give your input.

My T4 is 1.1 and my TSH is 2.15. Is this good? Is the tsh the gland that is suppose to be producing? Last time my tsh levels were 0 and it said it was flagged from r being too low.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Labs use different units so it is difficult to comment on your results. Printed next to the value should be the unit and the normal range. For example on one of my reports it says Serum Free T4 level: 61.6 pmol/L [10-20].   
  • Posted

It says Free T4 1.1 no/dL reference range is 0.8- 1.8

On the TSH 2.15 ml/mL reference range is 0.34- 4.28 does this help?

• Posted

If you are taking thyroid suppressing medication then you have responded well. The rise of your TSH level is significant and based on just these two thyroid hormone values you are now euthyroid that is within normal range. 

Having said that each person has optimal values. Some feel better at lower T4 values (like yours) others feel more energetic at slightly higher values.   

• Posted

I was feeling good then this last week I have been tired and freezing. The doctor actually has me off if methimazole as of yesterday until the results came back. She's suppose to call the lab and get the results and call me back today to tell me whether or not to start taking the methimazole again or maybe lower my dose.

• Posted

Your TSH is well into the normal range now.  If you are taking Acetyl-L-Carnitine, you need to stop it otherwise you will go hypo.  If you are on Carbimazole or Methimazole, your doctor needs to lower your dose.  When you post labs, you also need to post the ranges for your particular lab because each lab is different, so I can't comment on your T4 without that.  If you find you have fluctuated in your TSH very quickly, you may want to ask your doctor to check you for Hashimoto antibodies.

• Posted

The t4 is 0.8-1.8. That's the range. And I will ask my doctor. For the first 6 weeks my tsh levels were 0 this is the first test that it went up. Before these tests she said give it 6 weeks for the methimazole to kick in and help the tsh levels go up. My doctor was worried she was putting me into hypo that's why she ordered these tests earlier than was planned and told me to stop taking the methimazole u til she gets these results back. I'm waiting for her to call me on them so I know what she wants to do now. Thanks for your reply it helps me know what questions to ask.

• Posted

My TSH remained at essentially 0 for the first 2 years of treatment and only started to increase when I added supplements to my meds.  My FT3 and FT4 however, normalized with the first dosage of Methimazole and remained that way.
    • Posted

No I did not have symptoms other than dry eyes.  I never got into hypo range.  I was always either at the top end or bottom end of the normal range for my thyroid tests but my Endo did a lot of adjusting of my meds and I adjusted my supplements.  It may be that you have gone into the hypo range after your labs were taken?
    • Posted

If you were told to stop the Methimazole, your TSH will probably lower again somewhat and your symptoms will improve.  If you find that this is what happens, you really need to have your antibodies checked for Hashimoto's and if positive for that, and you have Hashimoto's only, people have found it was more easy to regulate their values with Regular L-Carnitine, an amino acid you can find in a health food store.  Hashimoto patients are too sensitive to Methimazole and find it hard to regulate.  But you do need to know if this is what you have and your doc has to order these antibody tests.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.