Myomectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi!

After an MRI Scan was told that i have multiple fibroids, intramural, sumucosal and subserous and many follicles cysts. I am now scheduled for a myomectomy in 2 weeks. I am 36 and planning to get pregnant afterwards. I had heavy bleedings many years and fertility issues. I am feeling nervous that i am informed that they will only remove the submucous one and it is not that big 1.5 cm indented to the uterus cavity. I wonder if that has been the issue. am worried why should I do it when they are going to remove only one fibroid. My biggest fibroid is 4.2cm large(subserousal)I am in need of your advice!

does anyone know the possiblity of removing fibroids and cysts through myomectomy ?😐

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Laila, 

Being nervous is normal before any procedure. I had a myomectomy procedure several years ago and in hindsight wish I had addressed my fibroids sooner. The procedure went fine and recover was smooth, although I was out of work for about 10 days. Make sure you've done your research and have asked all the questions you can think of to make sure the proceudre you're undergoing is the best procudure for you.

• Posted

Thank u delar for inspiring me. I will do that on my next meeting prior to the myomectomy. I Will take a month and half break from work afterwards. I wonder did you fully recover in 10 days coz i have been reading that it takes months for some.
  • Posted

All the best with you Myomectomy surgery. For multiple fibroids and cysts, your most likely be given an Open Myomectomy which may be a bikini cut (ideal) or vertical cut depending the position and size of your fibroids.  Usually you will need 6 weeks off to recover fully. Speak to your consultant about getting a bikini cut rather than vertical cut if he plans to do an Open Myomectomy.

If only one fibroid is being removed as you seem to imply, you maybe offered keyhole or removal via the vagina, in which case your recovery would be around 2 weeks.

You need to write down your questions and ask the consultant.

Do all the fibroids and cycsts need to be removed? some consultants only remove fibroids that directly affect fertility  and leave the rest in. Some consultants do not feel comfortable removing multiple fibroids for someone who has not yet had any children.

Which procedure will they be using i.e. open myomectomy, keyhole, via vagina etc

Healing time? 

How soon you can start trying for pregnancy after the surgery?

What existing medications or supplements you need to come off?

To prepare for surgery make sure your diet is good including good quality protein, and you are having some exercise, try and minimise stress, the fitter you are before surgery the quicker the recovery.

I had an open myomectomy 4 months ago to remove 32 fibroids all went well, started feeling stronger in week 3. I wish I had done it earlier as its not as bad as most people imagine its going to be. 

Good Luck.

• Posted

Thank you so much dear for taking your time to share all of that great information with me. I have been feeling nervous but now am making up my mind and started to believe that it will be fine. I will start preparing my self and lower my stress.I will be having an Open myomectomy. I will hope it will go well.I am going to meet my Consultant next week and will disscuss those question. Thank you again for the kind wishes and valuable advice. I wish you all the best in the future.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.