Myomectomy one year on.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Everyone, it's been a while. On the 18th August it will have been a year since my myomectomy..

In the last year I've gained all the weight I lost in my 5 months of being unable to eat solid food.

I have a couple of questions. Firstly I am still very sensitive above my scar, is that normal?

Secondly, I still get a lot of swelling above the scar even a year on. I know that's to be expected but it quite uncomfortable.

Thirdly obviously where I had lost the weight, that has left my scar very tight where I lost so much much and regained it.

Finally my periods are very heavy again and I frequently get bad back ache (even without PMT). Should I still be getting back ache? ( I was going to have physio but moved house so it's not within the boundary).

Lastly on a different but related note. In May I was 3 months pregnant obviously mentioned my op just in case. Announced to the family etc and that evening began having a miscarriage. After a long time in A&E, a loads of scans telling me I most likely had a fibroid again I was left in a canteen and given 2 paracetamol and lost my baby there. The pain was pretty horrendous and I spent 10 hours in hospital, A&E were good, being moved to gynaecology was horrific. Will the NHS ever apologise or have any empathy at all for either scenarios? Just because I am not screaming does not mean I'm not in pain sad the positive is I have my life back, changed my career and began to get myself fitter. I have made some life changing decisions.

4 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Dear Bek, I am suffering from fibroids at the moment and due to have a hysterectomy at some point. I cannot comment on the myomectomy since i have no experience with that. Just on a personal note from one woman to another, I am sending you a big hug. You should not have had to go through that horrific experience and as a woman i can empathise. Well done for making the positive changes in your life and I am so happy for you that you have. I hope someone can give you some advice on the myomectomy. Take care xbiggrin
    • Posted

Thanks Misty. I hope all goes well for you too. I think I needed the hugs smile x x
  • Posted

You are a soldier keep your head up.
  • Posted

wow, I am sorry. My best wishes for your recovery.
  • Posted

The care you recieved or lack of it sounds horrific , have you not been tempted to make an official complaint ?
  • Posted

Thanks for your replies everyone. I initially spoke to solicitors due to some serious issues, misdiagnosis, wrong treatment and unnecessary surgery last year which had a huge impact on my wedding day and honeymoon, however I have been told that they followed the correct procedures. I wouldn't want anyone else to go through the same scenario as me more than anything.

I have also made a complaint about my recent lack of care and after a month received an apology for the long wait and assurance that I would be contacted in due course. That was in May, I am currently chasing up.

Unfortunately I am a number in the system not a person. It is very difficult to put your foot down at the time (when you need to most) because you are feeling unwell. I am a pretty tough person so I tend to throw myself into other positive things as a way if coping, I just have the occasional set back. Thanks for your kind words everyone x

• Posted

Hi Bek. I had a myomectomy on 4/1/15. Mine was done vaginally. By June I was having all the same symptoms again. I asked for a ultrasound and another fibroid grew bavk in the same spot. It doesn't need to come out at this point. My doctor had me on continious birth control abd she recommended I go back to taking it reguarly. It's worked as all the symptoms went away. I've also worked hard to lose weight which I think has helped too. I hope you feel better soon! You deserve answers from your doctor!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.